Sponsored

Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only)

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, I kind of touched on this earlier..........Autocar have made the assumption that Mustang will go hybrid because its going to share the CD6 chassis with the Explorer/Aviator......however, if the patent (see Page 1) is correct, that is a very different hybrid system to that seen on CD6.

The best info seems to indicate S650 will be a heavily revised S550 platform for the '23MY.............then an "all new CD6 based S750" around '27/'28MY.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a 67 plate (i.e. older) pre facelift car :like:

It’s just a generic photo to remind the UK public what a mustang looks like :like:

WD :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Sponsored

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This has probably has already been said Ford isn't going to invest all that money into R&D and only sell it in Europe. Ford is going to want a good return on it's investment so we'll see it sold in the USA, China and everywhere else Ford sells the Mustang. That's not to say Europe won't get the lion's share like they will the Mach E.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This has probably has already been said Ford isn't going to invest all that money into R&D and only sell it in Europe. Ford is going to want a good return on it's investment so we'll see it sold in the USA, China and everywhere else Ford sells the Mustang. That's not to say Europe won't get the lion's share like they will the Mach E.
Agreed. This hybrid might be the only way Europe gets to have a V8 Mustang going forwards........but other countries where the emissions standards aren't so strict will still get this plus the non-hybrid V8.

It's another reason some of us believe this tech might debut in the Mach 1 for the '21MY...........effectively trial it on a low volume special edition before the tech becomes more widely available to a bigger market.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Interesting (or frustrating!) to read the differing opinions from the various news outlets.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...rid-reportedly-not-coming-until-2023-redesign

Motor Authority are thinking along the same lines as I posted previously:

"As for the redesigned Mustang, it was confirmed in February via a job ad listing to be arriving in 2022 as a 2023 model. It's code-named the S650 (the current Mustang is the S550) and could end up based on the current Mustang's bespoke D2C platform, or a version of the modular CD6 platform that debuted in the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator SUVs. Ford in 2018 announced its future lineup would migrate to five highly modular platforms, meaning there'd be no room for bespoke platforms like the D2C, though there's speculation that Ford might wait until the eighth-generation Mustang, the S650's successor, due sometime in the second half of the decade to finally drop the D2C platform.

However, Ford Authority seem to have forgotten about the Linkedin job description that detailed S650 as a '23MY!!!

https://fordauthority.com/2020/04/f...bb1hgZUPCc1gJHR0FV6tLhlW8LeXEJnJZLt_hCSSSONDI

"So far, our expectations have been that such a model will arrive when the Ford completely overhauls the legendary muscle car on its new, rear-drive CD6 platform that currently underpins the all-new 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator crossovers.
That said, the timing cited in the report seems rather fuzzy. It says that a new Mustang is due within the next couple of years, but we’re not sure that plan actually holds true. What we’ve heard is that Ford’s original plan was to base the next-gen Mustang (along with a separate sedan model for Lincoln) on the CD6 architecture. However, the latest whispers have us thinking that those plans have since been scrapped.
Moving forward, we expect the Ford Mustang to continue riding on current model’s S550 chassis as the automaker refines, adapts and upgrades the model"

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Strange.....Ford Authority have re-written that article! I'm glad I cut n pasted some of the original above! It's now just reporting a pretty generic repeat that the '23MY will see an hybrid V8.....

https://fordauthority.com/2020/04/f...bb1hgZUPCc1gJHR0FV6tLhlW8LeXEJnJZLt_hCSSSONDI

(I did remind them of the Linkedin job description that called S650 out as a '23MY on their FB page yesterday, but I can't believe they would have changed the article based on that!)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Could ford have put some pressure on them ?

WD :like:
Sponsored