Sponsored

Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only)

hafgod

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
arnold
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If this is the case AND they stop production on the GT350, i will gladly switch over to dodge.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I bought a 558 bhp 5.5l biturbo Mercedes instead. It seems to keep out the rain quite well, no need for galoshes.
Oh well, I'm sure you'll have fun with the other sheep. At least you haven't got to worry about using three pedals, just hit the accelerator and go, a child could do it

aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Premium Tremec 3160 Torsen 3.73 Diff
If the car really will be a hybrid with AWD, I personally would have less than zero interest in it. First because a hybrid means it will be heavier and more complicated, and second, because either a hybrid and/or AWD means it will almost certainly only be available with an automatic transmission, and there will be no manual (I can't imagine cheapskate Jim Hackett spending the money to develop a stick for such a drivetrain combination).

I suspect that Ford, in Hackett's misbegotten cost-cutting obsession, will use a drivetrain from some other vehicle for the next generation Mustang. If it's an AWD hybrid, that's because some other vehicles will be using it. As the article said, it will be a shared platform with the Explorer and Aviator.

Gee, sounds like the perfect underpinnings for a sporty pony car - build it on the same platform as a SUV.

I'm old-school (and old...). I totally appreciate the need for fuel efficient cars for basic transportation. But for a fun car, I like it simple and pure. A prefer a naturally-aspirated V8 engine, RWD, coupled to an old-fashioned row-your-own manual transmission. I'm not afraid of a clutch pedal. I don't care if a computer-controlled 10-speed DCT can shift in thousandths of a second, or if a hybrid is a few seconds faster around the Nurburgring. To me, how a car feels to drive in the seat of my pants is much more important than the "numbers". I've found that many people who are hung up on 'numbers' don't generate them themselves. It just shows they can read road tests. Many people obsess about the 'numbers' to brag about them at their local gym or happy hour. I care more about how a car feels to drive, how much fun it is, how engaging it is. If it speaks to me.

For my admittedly dinosaur-like perspective, no hybrid or electric, automatic transmission car will ever have a soul. It's fine for transportation to save gas, but for pure fun, I'll stick with the old-school analog approach (big surprise).
I don't consider myself old (just turned 30) and I totally agree, why people care that much about numbers? for this reason GT350 is almost dead, and the GT500 is all the people is talking, I like the fact that is DCT, but I would not buy one for myself with 2 pedals, is just not the purpose for me at least
I rather to run my own gears with 3 pedals in my GT (as all should be in my opinion) on the streets/twistyroads/Track and keep the sport spirit as simple as possible (the simpler=less weight=the better), is all about having fun

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Is it worth it? Maybe. I used to think it was - after all, I did order one. Now I'm not so sure anymore, but that's a different story. Anyway, regardless of how I feel about it, I'm not sure many Europeans find it worthwhile now (how many GTs do we actually see around us?), let alone if it were even more expensive.

But who knows, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. We'll see...
Me and you my friend we live in crapy countries with crappy roads with old cars on them. Which is why we can't enjoy our GT cars. I was in the states in 2018 and had an epic road trip with a Ecoboost. I want to do something similar in Europe but we just don't have the roads for something like this. Though it probably will be fun. So that is why you don't think it's worth it but believe me it is when you have 500-600 km ahead of you and you can take it in a few hours in a nice environment. I love traveling with my Mustang.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
Going hybrid is a crazy move and not for people who care about that old-school feel. Everyone knows performance is all about keeping things the same. That's why I only commute and go to track days in my covered wagon. All these young kids with their new fangled "tires" will never get the feel of the road like I do with my 12" wooden wagon wheels. I've got 1 horse and it has way more soul than any nonsense "engine" that runs on "fuel". You'll never catch me dead behind the wheel of anything hybrid, especially a car that doesn't exist yet that I somehow have strong opinions on the driving capabilities and feel.

/s

In all seriousness maybe we reserve lamenting about the driving feel of a car none of us have driven until we're behind the wheel. Additionally having it share a platform with an SUV means relatively little and all depends on how they engineer the platform for this car. The Audi RS6, RS4, and RS7 are all monster performers, and yet still use the same platform as the Q7 and the Cayenne.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Me and you my friend we live in crapy countries with crappy roads with old cars on them. Which is why we can't enjoy our GT cars. I was in the states in 2018 and had an epic road trip with a Ecoboost. I want to do something similar in Europe but we just don't have the roads for something like this. Though it probably will be fun. So that is why you don't think it's worth it but believe me it is when you have 500-600 km ahead of you and you can take it in a few hours in a nice environment. I love traveling with my Mustang.
Actually, no, that's not the reason I don't believe in the Mustang anymore. Quite the contrary, our crappy roads are precisely the reason why I want a fast and powerful car. Having very few motorways, and a lot of wavy two lane roads, where overtaking opportunities are very few and far between, I need to be able to overtake Sunday drivers very quickly as soon as even the slightest hint of an opportunity presents itself. And I also enjoy long distance driving - I use to drive to Austria or Germany and back a couple of times per year. So I want a fast car that's also comfortable on long rides.
I'm just not sure anymore that the Mustang was the correct choice. I could have done better. I wish they didn't build my Mustang on time, so I can get a clean and honourable way out of this. But that's a different story, and it's off-topic.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, no, that's not the reason I just don't believe in the Mustang anymore. Quite the contrary, our crappy roads are precisely the reason why I want a fast and powerful car. Having very few motorways, and a lot of wavy two lane roads, where overtaking opportunities are very few and far between, I need to be able to overtake Sunday drivers very quickly as soon as even the slightest hint of an opportunity presents itself. And I also enjoy long distance driving - I use to drive to Austria or Germany and back a couple of times per year. So I want a fast car that's also comfortable on long rides.
I'm just not sure anymore that the Mustang was the correct choice. I could have done better. I wish they didn't build my Mustang on time, so I can get a clean and honourable way out of this. But that's a different story, and it's off-topic.
The Mustang is amazing bang for buck I have mine for over a year now and I love it. It's super fun to drive and for road trips it's amazing with all the creature comfort. Apple CarPlay is great and having spotify in the car helps to get the mood for whatever you are up to. I strongly suggest you take delivery of your car.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just need to ask!

Do you own a Mustang? Or you have ordered one and you regretting doing so?
What is it that you are not sure of? With regards to comfort the only thing I could complain about was the tire noise however I was running 305/R20s so it had something to do with that.

I have a 330e now which by all standards should be more refined. The only thing which is better from e.g. a comfort PoV is the tire noise. The suspension on the Mustang with Magneride and with lowering springs and 20" wheels was in no way subpar to e.g. the suspension on the BMW(I have the M-adaptive suspension)

I can get a brand new PP1 with auto (without magneride though) but with the forged wheels and spoiler for around 45K EUR there is not a single car that would come close to the excitement of the Mustang for that price and also considering 5 year warranty.
I am more and more regretting that I did get rid of mine....

Actually, no, that's not the reason I don't believe in the Mustang anymore. Quite the contrary, our crappy roads are precisely the reason why I want a fast and powerful car. Having very few motorways, and a lot of wavy two lane roads, where overtaking opportunities are very few and far between, I need to be able to overtake Sunday drivers very quickly as soon as even the slightest hint of an opportunity presents itself. And I also enjoy long distance driving - I use to drive to Austria or Germany and back a couple of times per year. So I want a fast car that's also comfortable on long rides.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've ordered one, which is supposed to be delivered later this year, but now I have second thoughts about it.
I'm sure the car is awesome - after all, I've test driven it and loved it. But I wish I had done my homework before taking the plunge. I wish I had discovered and browsed these forums before ordering the car, not the other way around. I'm not sure I'll be able to live with some of its manufacturing defects. If a car is special in one way or another, then I can (and will) turn a blind eye to many things - ride harshness, tyre noise, rattles, software bugs, squeeky brakes, you name it. But there's one thing where I really draw a line - water leaks. I cannot live with a car that I cannot trust to wash or to drive in heavy rain without getting water in the footwell or in the trunk. I'm also not sure about the typewriter tick. Being asked why your engine sounds as if it's defective and having to explain to everyone that no, no, it's normal, it's by design, is likely to become wearisome after a while. Had I known it had such fundamental flaws I would have walked away.
Anyway, I don't want to bash the Mustang. It's not its fault. It is what it is, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else. I can only blame myself for having acted impulsively.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Geeze man, take delivery and enjoy it. If you have problems, use your warranty. If they can't fix any problems, leave it with them and walk away. You are focusing on stuff that may not happen!

In the UK, I'm Admin on a Facebook group that covers all Mustangs, but about 1/3 of the 3000 plus members have S550s. Have they all been perfect? Nope. Some have suffered issues, like any mass manufactured item might experience. But to a man (and woman) they all LOVE their cars.

Mustang is a passionate purchase....done with the heart, not the head. You sound like you think you're making a massive mistake. Most Mustang owners I speak with wonder why they didn't buy one sooner! Your glass is half full, Vlad, not half empty :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks, Paul.
I went for a short drive today, and on my way back I met a dark red Mustang coming the other way. That's precisely the colour mine's going to be. It goes by many names; when I placed the order it was called Red Hot Metallic, now it's apparently called Lucid Red or Red Carpet. Both my wife and I said at the same time: oh, look at that, it's gorgeous. I think it was American though, because it had red taillights. I believe the European ones are white.
Boy, was it beautiful.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Why even post here then? This is a bit like having a terrible experience at a restaurant and then hanging about in the parking lot to tell people you didn't enjoy it....
lol