Sponsored

Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As you may (or may not!) know, Autocar is Britains oldest car magazine, dating back to 1895! They're also pretty well respected when it comes to news.

So, this article has a British twist to it (I'm sure the Ecoboost & non V8 hybrid will continue in the US and other markets). This is also not the newest of news, as we've known of this patent for quite a while and some of us expect the hybrid to debut in the Mach 1. There's also a question mark over whether S650 ('23MY) will use the CD6 architecture or whether that comes later as an S750......with S650 being a heavily modified S550, as discussed at length earlier in this thread.

Also, the rendering is based on nothing more than their crystal ball........and using a Mach E as a starting point. However, S650 news is hard to come by, so I thought I'd share this British angle :like:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...lDAkosPD551NfTiv_jGwIA-BywTwsSQcj4BWteMRj7Zf8

From the April 8th Autocar Magazine.

2022 Mustang to be All Wheel Drive Hybrid V8 ACCORDING TO AUTOCAR.

A US patent filed by Ford indicates it will use a V8 petrol engine driving the rear wheels and an electric motor powering the front wheels.

The front motor will be activated when the rear wheels lose traction. The system could offer torque vectoring, too. In more eco-minded modes, that same set-up would allow the engine to be shut off in situations with low power demand and high battery charge, boosting efficiency. It is highly likely that Ford will only offer the hybrid V8 in Europe due to the need to meet stringent fleet average emissions targets.

Ford hasn’t made a decision on whether to offer the Ecoboost four cylinder version of the new Mustang. Ford recently dropped automatic versions of the fourpot Ecoboost Mustang in the UK due to their low efficiency.

A likely factor in the decision to go hybrid is Ford’s intention to base the next Mustang on the same CD6 platform as the Explorer SUV and its sibling, the Lincoln Aviator. This is platform sharing is part of Ford's plan to streamline its platform line-up.

The four-seat layout should continue largely as it is today, with engineering developments ensuring the hybrid system has a minimal effect on interior space.

The new Mustang is due in 2022 as a '23MY

23MY Mustang render Autocar.jpg
Hybrid diagram.jpg
S650 Autocar render.jpg
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Good find.
I'm keeping an open mind on the V8 hybrid, might be a nice surprise.
I like the above design, albeit does look a bit like a squashed down Mach E.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

[/ATTACH]
If the car really will be a hybrid with AWD, I personally would have less than zero interest in it. First because a hybrid means it will be heavier and more complicated, and second, because either a hybrid and/or AWD means it will almost certainly only be available with an automatic transmission, and there will be no manual (I can't imagine cheapskate Jim Hackett spending the money to develop a stick for such a drivetrain combination).

I suspect that Ford, in Hackett's misbegotten cost-cutting obsession, will use a drivetrain from some other vehicle for the next generation Mustang. If it's an AWD hybrid, that's because some other vehicles will be using it. As the article said, it will be a shared platform with the Explorer and Aviator.

Gee, sounds like the perfect underpinnings for a sporty pony car - build it on the same platform as a SUV.

I'm old-school (and old...). I totally appreciate the need for fuel efficient cars for basic transportation. But for a fun car, I like it simple and pure. A prefer a naturally-aspirated V8 engine, RWD, coupled to an old-fashioned row-your-own manual transmission. I'm not afraid of a clutch pedal. I don't care if a computer-controlled 10-speed DCT can shift in thousandths of a second, or if a hybrid is a few seconds faster around the Nurburgring. To me, how a car feels to drive in the seat of my pants is much more important than the "numbers". I've found that many people who are hung up on 'numbers' don't generate them themselves. It just shows they can read road tests. Many people obsess about the 'numbers' to brag about them at their local gym or happy hour. I care more about how a car feels to drive, how much fun it is, how engaging it is. If it speaks to me.

For my admittedly dinosaur-like perspective, no hybrid or electric, automatic transmission car will ever have a soul. It's fine for transportation to save gas, but for pure fun, I'll stick with the old-school analog approach (big surprise).

Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
As you may (or may not!) know, Autocar is Britains oldest car magazine, dating back to 1895! They're also pretty well respected when it comes to news.

So, this article has a British twist to it (I'm sure the Ecoboost & non V8 hybrid will continue in the US and other markets). This is also not the newest of news, as we've known of this patent for quite a while and some of us expect the hybrid to debut in the Mach 1. There's also a question mark over whether S650 ('23MY) will use the CD6 architecture or whether that comes later as an S750......with S650 being a heavily modified S550, as discussed at length earlier in this thread.

Also, the rendering is based on nothing more than their crystal ball........and using a Mach E as a starting point. However, S650 news is hard to come by, so I thought I'd share this British angle :like:

A US patent filed by Ford indicates it will use a V8 petrol engine driving the rear wheels and an electric motor powering the front wheels.

The front motor will be activated when the rear wheels lose traction. The system could offer torque vectoring, too. In more eco-minded modes, that same set-up would allow the engine to be shut off in situations with low power demand and high battery charge, boosting efficiency. It is highly likely that Ford will only offer the hybrid V8 in Europe due to the need to meet stringent fleet average emissions targets.

Ford hasn’t made a decision on whether to offer the Ecoboost four cylinder version of the new Mustang. Ford recently dropped automatic versions of the fourpot Ecoboost Mustang in the UK due to their low efficiency.

A likely factor in the decision to go hybrid is Ford’s intention to base the next Mustang on the same CD6 platform as the Explorer SUV and its sibling, the Lincoln Aviator. This is platform sharing is part of Ford's plan to streamline its platform line-up.

The four-seat layout should continue largely as it is today, with engineering developments ensuring the hybrid system has a minimal effect on interior space.

The new Mustang is due in 2022 as a '23MY

23MY Mustang render Autocar.jpg
Hybrid diagram.jpg
Well, is this article was published on April 1st?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
because either a hybrid and/or AWD means it will almost certainly only be available with an automatic transmission
your premise is baseless. You're thinking AWD == 4WD driven off of the ICE+Trans. The front wheels (likely) run completely independent of the ICE+Trans and even of each other.

but for pure fun, I'll stick with the old-school analog approach (big surprise).
Seems you missed the line at the hospital where they replaced the obsolete analog control circuitry with the digital version.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
your premise is baseless. You're thinking AWD == 4WD driven off of the ICE+Trans. The front wheels (likely) run completely independent of the ICE+Trans and even of each other.

Seems you missed the line at the hospital where they replaced the obsolete analog control circuitry with the digital version.
My premise is based on the observations that 1) the platform will be shared with the Explorer and Aviator, both of which are very unlikely to have a manual transmission option, 2) manual transmissions account for an increasingly smaller portion of sales of any model. Even the C8 Corvette is automatic only, as well as the Supra, 3) integrating a manual transmission into a hybrid drivetrain is more complicated (see any others on the market? I recall the CR-Z was the only one in recent years), and 4) Ford and Hackett are on a major cost-cutting campaign, and I think it is unlikely they will spend the money to incorporate a manual for what may be small incremental sales.

As far as 'obsolete', I'm talking about what is fun for me. What is fun purely for the sake of pleasure driving, not the androgynous daily driver grocery getter. Different things float everyone's boat. When it comes to cars, I don't think there is any 'right' or 'wrong'. Chocolate or vanilla, it's whatever anyone likes for themselves. I may not understand why some people prefer an automatic to a manual transmission, or to live their lives on their i-device screens instead of in the real world (the current coronavirus pandemic notwithstanding, that only leaves 'virtual' options for most things), but I don't judge anyone's choices. Live and let live, and let everyone enjoy whatever automotive pleasures they like.

BTW, I think the sound quality of my vacuum-tube Marantz amplifier is far better than our Sonos.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
My premise is based on the observations that 1) the platform will be shared with the Explorer and Aviator, both of which are very unlikely to have a manual transmission option, 2) manual transmissions account for an increasingly smaller portion of sales of any model. Even the C8 Corvette is automatic only, as well as the Supra, 3) integrating a manual transmission into a hybrid drivetrain is more complicated (see any others on the market? I recall the CR-Z was the only one in recent years), and 4) Ford and Hackett are on a major cost-cutting campaign, and I think it is unlikely they will spend the money to incorporate a manual for what may be small incremental sales.

As far as 'obsolete', I'm talking about what is fun for me. What is fun purely for the sake of pleasure driving, not the androgynous daily driver grocery getter. Different things float everyone's boat. When it comes to cars, I don't think there is any 'right' or 'wrong'. Chocolate or vanilla, it's whatever anyone likes for themselves. I may not understand why some people prefer an automatic to a manual transmission, or to live their lives on their i-device screens instead of in the real world (the current coronavirus pandemic notwithstanding, that only leaves 'virtual' options for most things), but I don't judge anyone's choices. Live and let live, and let everyone enjoy whatever automotive pleasures they like.

BTW, I think the sound quality of my vacuum-tube Marantz amplifier is far better than our Sonos.
While manual transmissions are indeed going the way of the dodo, it does look like ford will be offering a manual in the new Bronco that is a different model altogether from the unit in the Mustang.

You still have purists that won't own anything other than a 3 pedal Mustang, myself included. The only way I would get an "automatic" Mustang would be if it was equipped with a DCT. Driving the wife's 2015 Audi A3 (it's a SMG with a wet clutch), I want nothing to do with torque converter automatics. No locking/unlocking of the torque converter, better overall driving dynamics, faster shifts, etc. 10 speed is good, but it's not a DCT/SMG.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

His reply is not baseless as it most likely will be auto only. Look Ford already created a new dimension with the Mach E being a Mustang. Making the Hybrid version Auto only is not a big stretch. I for one would be interested if it does indeed have a manual option. So hopefully you are veracious in your assertions and we are found baseless in ours.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I can confirm it’s Hybrid V8 AWD with gearbox similar to that of the Suv Ford Mach EV. No gears will be rowing with this configuration.