Sponsored

Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just in case some didn't actually bother to read the original post...... :like:

"So, this article has a British twist to it (I'm sure the Ecoboost & non V8 hybrid will continue in the US and other markets)"
Sorry I did read it, but I was just complaining about the direction. In my opinion it's not progress and it's not good. I feel like we are in a similar situation to 1970 where future models will not be as good as what we have now.

I do think hybrid is nice for those who want one or if your government forces you to buy it if you want a new car (potentially this could happen everywhere), but to me hybrid doesn't belong on a Mustang. IMO hybrid should be put on tiny commuter cars for people who want something that will not burn much fuel and don't mind paying a lot for something with low performance. And hybrid makes sense for a spare no cost maximum performer - maybe. But on the regular Mustang I don't like it.
Sponsored

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
I just hope with all these technological advances added that they learn to make it realible and cost effective so that every hard working citizen can afford one. While I see the trend moving towards a European look, not that it looks bad but I prefer the current s550 and s197 in terms of looks. Probably gonna hang onto my 2019 til she breaks before I get my next stang which should be a good while with only 4k miles put on it a year

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sorry I did read it, but I was just complaining about the direction. In my opinion it's not progress and it's not good. I feel like we are in a similar situation to 1970 where future models will not be as good as what we have now.

I do think hybrid is nice for those who want one or if your government forces you to buy it if you want a new car (potentially this could happen everywhere), but to me hybrid doesn't belong on a Mustang. IMO hybrid should be put on tiny commuter cars for people who want something that will not burn much fuel and don't mind paying a lot for something with low performance. And hybrid makes sense for a spare no cost maximum performer - maybe. But on the regular Mustang I don't like it.
Actually combining electric and gasoline hybrid would make the Mustang considerably quicker. Other companies have gone to hybrid for performance purposes only, I.E Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, Ferrari La Ferrari, even the Lexus GS 450H was much quicker than its gas only counter part. I bet a V8 Mustang hybrid with all wheel drive would be pretty fast. Cheers

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Remember when this was considered progress?

s-l300.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I just hope with all these technological advances added that they learn to make it realible and cost effective so that every hard working citizen can afford one.
Yeah, neither of those things are going to happen. :) I plan on keeping my 19' for ten years. Hopefully by then they will be more reliable and cost effective.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Most hybrids, especially those developed purely as economy vehicles don't interest me in the slightest, and I think its these vehicles that have tainted the concept for many of us enthusiasts. However, there are enough high end supercars that have proven that hybrid tech can act as a performance enhancer (whilst, to a degree, appeasing the "green" community) that means I remain optimistic that a hybrid Mustang can, and will be, a good thing :)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I agree with this and I accept emissions do need to be reduced. Although I understand it to be on fleet average so can have some Fords that are ultra green to accommodate the not so green Mustangs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Actually combining electric and gasoline hybrid would make the Mustang considerably quicker. Other companies have gone to hybrid for performance purposes only, I.E Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, Ferrari La Ferrari, even the Lexus GS 450H was much quicker than its gas only counter part. I bet a V8 Mustang hybrid with all wheel drive would be pretty fast. Cheers
I believe that those cars were heavier than necessary and most of the companies involved have since made faster cars using the ICE only. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, raw speed isn't the only consideration and isn't even the most important thing. A car that is fun to drive is the most important thing.

Imagine the hybrid kicks in at certain times based on what the computer thinks. So, if you turn off the traction nannies how does this work? And hybrid needs to recharge, so does it really function well on the road course? Because I might step on it during street driving, but the main time I'm really pushing the car is on the road course. So how much faster is a hybrid system really going to make the Mustang in a situation where the car can be pushed close to its limits?

Remember when this was considered progress?

s-l300.jpg
Man that's a pet peeve of mine - the label says (PCV) valve - pollution control valve valve.

PortalMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Lexus IS300 AWD
The AWD, hybrid (and/or combo of the two) stuff sounds good to me. Lots of potential to expand the Mustang brand the right way. Yeeaah, I'm still a bit salty about the Mach-E being branded a Mustang. Anyways...

Starting to resemble a Camaro !
:frown:
It's the first thing I noticed. I do NOT like that rendering at all. Looks like the artist just photoshopped the current Camaro with an Ecoboost grill.

Reactions: JWS

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I believe that those cars were heavier than necessary and most of the companies involved have since made faster cars using the ICE only. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, raw speed isn't the only consideration and isn't even the most important thing. A car that is fun to drive is the most important thing.

Imagine the hybrid kicks in at certain times based on what the computer thinks. So, if you turn off the traction nannies how does this work? And hybrid needs to recharge, so does it really function well on the road course? Because I might step on it during street driving, but the main time I'm really pushing the car is on the road course. So how much faster is a hybrid system really going to make the Mustang in a situation where the car can be pushed close to its limits?

Man that's a pet peeve of mine - the label says (PCV) valve - pollution control valve valve.
I have been Extremely fortunate in my automotive career. I have driven just about everything from 1920's Mercedes and Ford Model t all the way to a La Ferrrari and Mclaren P1. Hybrid systems do not need to re-charge in the sense you think it does. When the gasoline engine is running it charges and operates the battery electric drive. Imagine the electric motor as a way to "fill" torque at low RPM until the gasoline engine can take over. It's a very fun thing to experience.

Sponsored

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
So how much faster is a hybrid system really going to make the Mustang in a situation where the car can be pushed close to its limits?
Formula one has been using KERS Hybrid tech for years to increase performance at the limit. It will absolutely make it faster.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.expressen.se/tv/ditv/motor/har-ar-varldens-mest-salda-sportbil/

In this video(dated 29th of Aug 2019) regarding the Bullitt in a Swedish magazine they have the communications manager(I believe from Ford Sweden) start saying at 02:13 when answering the question "will the Mustang alway be this timeless"

His answer "yes I believe so. we will find our ways going forward and we are following the technical evolution and development with regards to emissons regulations and electrifying cars amongst other things"
He then says we will alwas find a way forward with the Mustang"

Then the report asks "when will we see a Hybrid Mustang and how will that impact the V8 rumble"

He then responds with "within a couple of years" there will be a car avaialble in the market and the V8 rumble is one of the main treats with the Mustang and we will of course keep that in one way or the other. Exactly how this will be done I cannot share at the moment...."

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
Nice...but the price could be higher.
Sponsored