Sponsored

Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If the car really will be a hybrid with AWD, I personally would have less than zero interest in it. First because a hybrid means it will be heavier and more complicated, and second, because either a hybrid and/or AWD means it will almost certainly only be available with an automatic transmission, and there will be no manual (I can't imagine cheapskate Jim Hackett spending the money to develop a stick for such a drivetrain combination).

I suspect that Ford, in Hackett's misbegotten cost-cutting obsession, will use a drivetrain from some other vehicle for the next generation Mustang. If it's an AWD hybrid, that's because some other vehicles will be using it. As the article said, it will be a shared platform with the Explorer and Aviator.

Gee, sounds like the perfect underpinnings for a sporty pony car - build it on the same platform as a SUV.

I'm old-school (and old...). I totally appreciate the need for fuel efficient cars for basic transportation. But for a fun car, I like it simple and pure. A prefer a naturally-aspirated V8 engine, RWD, coupled to an old-fashioned row-your-own manual transmission. I'm not afraid of a clutch pedal. I don't care if a computer-controlled 10-speed DCT can shift in thousandths of a second, or if a hybrid is a few seconds faster around the Nurburgring. To me, how a car feels to drive in the seat of my pants is much more important than the "numbers". I've found that many people who are hung up on 'numbers' don't generate them themselves. It just shows they can read road tests. Many people obsess about the 'numbers' to brag about them at their local gym or happy hour. I care more about how a car feels to drive, how much fun it is, how engaging it is. If it speaks to me.

For my admittedly dinosaur-like perspective, no hybrid or electric, automatic transmission car will ever have a soul. It's fine for transportation to save gas, but for pure fun, I'll stick with the old-school analog approach (big surprise).
Make that two of us, pretty much word for word. Analog, and the KISS principle, indeed!

For us, stick-shifts, fun-to-drive, and the greater involvement necessary still hold priority over fuel economy even for the "family sedans". These days, both our ages start with a '7'.

Norm
Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Hybrid or not...as long as it has a V8...I'm in!

Mustang Maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible; 2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
As always, I say to each their own - purist or technophile.

I'm good with the AWD and Hybrid and would probably buy one if they offer them in the US market.
Personnally, I like the AWD - my wife's Audi S5 Vert is super quick off the line and handles great.
Almost bought her a Jaguar F-Type with AWD and SC V8 which I really liked except it has virtually no trunk.
If an AWD GT can grip and put all that power down on the launch it should be impressive.

Actually surprised it hasn't already been built.
My oldest son (mech engineer) and I have often kicked around the idea of modding my 06 GT by engineering some Jaguar AWD parts onto the car, but the control system is always the tough part - basically, how do you get it all to work together and how to mod or write the code to do so.

So again, everyone is entitled to an opinion and to do what they like.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
If it is true, this is unfortunate.

"A likely factor in the decision to go hybrid is Ford’s intention to base the next Mustang on the same CD6 platform as the Explorer SUV and its sibling, the Lincoln Aviator. This is platform sharing is part of Ford's plan to streamline its platform line-up."

That's modern manufacturing though...

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Starting to resemble a Camaro !
:frown:

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have a hard time believing the all wheel drive Mustang would only be sold in Europe. The highway patrol in the Northern US States would want the AWD Mustang and citizens in the Northern US States would also want it. Granted, Ford may first introduce the AWD Mustang in Europe, but the US market is too large to ignore.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
AWD in a Mustang is my dream!! I personally am not really into trucks or SUVs. I would love to be able to give the finger to the snowy forecast in the winter. I drive my Mustangs all year round. Imagine the increase in sales worldwide if they could be driven in northern climates. Maybe potentially double the current sales? Imaging trumping the Camaro/Cahllenger as the only V8 AWD option! Long overdue.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
For all the purists, I suggest a Morgan 3 wheeler. That is about as old school and analog as it gets. Seriously, they are a blast to drive.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For all the purists, I suggest a Morgan 3 wheeler. That is about as old school and analog as it gets. Seriously, they are a blast to drive.
Personally, I'd rather drive this . . . not a whole lot less analog than a Morgan.

Caterham 7.jpg

I've ridden in that one, but didn't get to drive it. Around 200 HP and 1200 lbs curb.

Norm

Sponsored

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
I had the same thought as soon as I saw the rendering. I'm surprised it took 20 posts for someone to mention it.
Yeah I was gonna say those lower grill flanges look just like the 2019/2020 Camaro, which is the ugliest car ever made. If it looks anything like the rendering, Hard pass.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
Personally, I'd rather drive this . . . not a whole lot less analog than a Morgan.

Caterham 7.jpg

I've ridden in that one, but didn't get to drive it. Around 200 HP and 1200 lbs curb.

Norm
Caterham makes ridiculously powerful go karts. I got to drive one at a track day and I have never been more jealous of a human being in my life.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
My B6 S4 was AWD and six speed. So they can be built and handle great with the right mods. Too bad the engine was iffy

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sans the Camaro like grill, Not bad looking.
Sponsored