Sponsored

Rules/Tips for kids in the car?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
My son will be 6 in April. He is an awesome little guy!

Quick story...when I test drove a 16' GT last January I joked that we'd go so fast he'd crap his pants....and then he did! :D

Anyway, when I do pull the trigger on a Mustang GT, I want to keep it looking new for quite a while. At the same time I look at the back seats and floors in both of our Subaru's and cringe. Just layers of stains from cookie crumbs, fruit juices, candy, puke, etc. that no amount of cleaning is going to get rid of.

I don't want that to happen to the Mustang. I'm thinking a no eating and drinking rule will need to be in place.

But I do know some cars have seat protectors for the back seats and floor just for kids. Anything like that exist for the current gen Stang?

What about the driver's seat? Do you keep a towel/tarp/etc. in the trunk in case you have no choice but to ride when your clothes are wet, have grease on them, etc.?

What rules do you enforce or what do you do to keep your car's interior looking new?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
My rule is no kids in the car. :thumbsup:

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Eat anything you want as long as it's greasy. The oil is good for the leather.:lol:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Saran wrap your whole interior. Problem solved.

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My daughter is 6 and she loves riding in my Mustang. She absolutely loves those hard pulls from a stop light in a 65mph zone.

I use a seat protector to keep her booster from rubbing the leather. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HD3HIRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As a general rule of thumb, I don't let anyone eat in the car. If for some reason I did, it's leather and it'll clean up easily. If you're looking at a base, I would think Scotch guard would work well.
My biggest issue is her feet leaving marks on the back of seats, but that cleans off easily with a rag and cleaning solution.
I clean the car every weekend and that is very effective at preventing dirt/grime/crap buildup.

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
Mine is a daily driver and my two girls have Recaro seats (so we all get Recaros). I have always been overly anal with my car. For example, teaching people how to close the doors properly so they don't touch the paint and finger stains on it. That being said, kids will be kids.

I'll let them take sips of water but I always keep it in the cup holder with me. I'll let them eat light snacks or easily vacuumable item. Cherrios are a breeze to vacuum up with a shop vac.

At the end of the day, it's really about passing the hobby down. Teach them to respect it, but don't be overbearing about every minute thing. You want them to enjoy the experience. Just keep a few napkins in the car and keep the shop vac handy for when you get back.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
I don't have kids, but I often lug around my sister or my nieces and nephews. I have a strict no eating, no drinking, no touching rule in my car. If you don't follow, you get stranded on the side of the road.

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Why do kids need to be eating and drinking in the car?
No eating or drinking! What are you on a cross country trip?

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
No eating or drinking in the car. If something goes down the wrong pipe, now you have a choking child and a somewhat of an emergency situation.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Well considering my kid ate Mcdee's in the backseat two days ago....

Love my car but love my Girl more...at the end of the day its just a car and though its nice and I will do my best to keep it up few years down the road it will get tossed aside for a new one. Cant do that with kids just yet lol
Sponsored