RPM drops on 2019 GT

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
Hey, I got a problem with significant RPM drops on red lights.
It lasts for 1-2 seconds, then everything gets back to normal.

I went to dealer, but they don't know what to do without error codes.

I read on the forum that it likely to be an issue with a evap purge valve, so I was thinking to replace it.
The problem is, I can't find it. According to videos on Youtube it should be on top of the engine, but nothing's there.
I guess it might be in different place, but most likely look different on 2018+ models.

So, maybe anybody could shed some light on what does it look like on 2019 GT?..

Thanks.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Evap valve will eventually trigger a CEL, usually within a few days of normal driving. Something to the tune of "unable to achieve pressure."

Stupid question, is this happening when you get on and off the clutch and brake? When you put the clutch in idle comes up a few hundred RPM but with the clutch out and your foot on the brake it drops lower. At least my Ecoboost did, not sure if it is the same behavior in the V8.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Sounds like the intake cam phasers, assuming it happens more when the engine is hot?

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did they check your spark plugs? I had weird rpm issues. Cylinder 2 was randomly misfiring without codes.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Did you just install a CAI kit? If so, the car may be trying to learn the new setup. My 2019 Bullitt had a hanging idle after I installed my PMAS. It took about 200 miles of driving for the ECM to adjust and now all is well.

Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
It's a well known issue just not a well know solution. From what Alex flores (mustang youtuber and Lund tuner) says, it's possibly related to the cam phasers and when the car has fresh oil it doesn't do it, or at least as often. My car started doing it around 14k miles and I personally keep up on the maintenance. Only once did the idle drop low enough that at a stop light my car died, a few other times it came close but I caught it in time since now it's always on my mind when I'm at a light

OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
Wow, guys, thanks a lot for so many replies!

Evap valve will eventually trigger a CEL, usually within a few days of normal driving. Something to the tune of "unable to achieve pressure."

Stupid question, is this happening when you get on and off the clutch and brake? When you put the clutch in idle comes up a few hundred RPM but with the clutch out and your foot on the brake it drops lower. At least my Ecoboost did, not sure if it is the same behavior in the V8.
Although the issue is noticeable, there are no errors in the system, so the only thing is left is to blindly replace parts one by one.

And it's not manual, I forgot to mention, sorry.

Sounds like the intake cam phasers, assuming it happens more when the engine is hot?
Yes, you're right, cold engine is totally fine. I tried to find more specific conditions, but couldn't reveal any pattern so far...

Did they check your spark plugs? I had weird rpm issues. Cylinder 2 was randomly misfiring without codes.
Nah, I don't think they even opened it. I was told that they checked the system, didn't find anything related to the issue and just reset engine's settings to default so "it's going to learn again". The problem is, they could replicate the issue, but only once and after reset they didn't, so, they thought it's fine now.

Do you think I should replace sparks, just to be sure?

Did you just install a CAI kit? If so, the car may be trying to learn the new setup. My 2019 Bullitt had a hanging idle after I installed my PMAS. It took about 200 miles of driving for the ECM to adjust and now all is well.
No, I want the poor thing to work stable at least on stock hardware :D
It's a well known issue just not a well know solution. From what Alex flores (mustang youtuber and Lund tuner) says, it's possibly related to the cam phasers and when the car has fresh oil it doesn't do it, or at least as often. My car started doing it around 14k miles and I personally keep up on the maintenance. Only once did the idle drop low enough that at a stop light my car died, a few other times it came close but I caught it in time since now it's always on my mind when I'm at a light
I've already replaced oil and fuel pump, it didn't do the trick :c

Although, here is the thread I've been following
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rpms-drop-at-red-light.118445/

And mine problem is exactly the same. That's why I want to replace a evap purge valve, but I can't find it :D

Last edited:

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You don't have to replace all spark plugs. Shouldn't have to. I would pull them though and see if any look bad and if there is just replace what's needed.

OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
You don't have to replace all spark plugs. Shouldn't have to. I would pull them though and see if any look bad and if there is just replace what's needed.
Well, isn't it a good idea to replace them from time to time?
Can you describe the issue you had back then?

OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
Well, I tried to find anything that might look like evap purge valve, and my best guess is this little buddy

photo_2022-05-15_18-46-38.jpg

How do I find more about this part?.. It's number is EU5A-9G866-BD, but there is nothing solid on it in internet.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well, I tried to find anything that might look like evap purge valve, and my best guess is this little buddy

photo_2022-05-15_18-46-38.jpg

How do I find more about this part?.. It's number is EU5A-9G866-BD, but there is nothing solid on it in internet.
Here you go.

OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
Here you go.

Hey, thanks for the video, I've watched it, but he's got different engine than mine. I don't have anything there. Take a look

This guy's engine:

1652634640380.png

Mine:
1652635457661.png

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think yours is tucked down in the area circled in red on the pic that you posted. Double check to confirm that one of the hoses is connected to your CAI tube and that should be it.

1652636610741.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I will say that it’s odd that yours is in a different location on a 2019 GT. I have a 2019 Bullitt (with the GT350 intake manifold) and it’s in the same general area as the one in the video. In the first pic from my car, take notice of the hose running from my CAI tube which connects to the Evap Purge Solenoid.

98C53547-56EB-4CEB-84DD-63EDFA046BB1.jpeg

826EB719-15CD-411B-AC78-EE9FB33D6D77.jpeg

OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
I think yours is tucked down in the area circled in red on the pic that you posted. Double check to confirm that one of the hoses is connected to your CAI tube and that should be it.

1652636610741.jpeg
I thought about that, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it was removed by the previous owner?..
Sponsored