Sponsored

Royal Purple engine oil and engine treatment?

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
I have been using Amsoil for my 2017 Mustang GT, and Im thinking of using Royal Purple this time. It seems like they have two different types of oil, HPS performance oil, and XPR race oil. If I daily drive the car, should I go with HPS oil instead of XPR? I least bash the car once a day and hoping for more protection. Lastly, do you guys use engine treatments? only thing i ve seen so far is from AM https://www.americanmuscle.com/redline-fuel-system-cleaner.html
Sponsored

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
I would stick with Amsoil over RP.

Hoping for more protection, what weight are you running? 5w-20 still? Go with a 5w-30. (This is actually what I run, Amsoil signature series 5w-30).

And no, no treatments.

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
I would stick with Amsoil over RP.

Hoping for more protection, what weight are you running? 5w-20 still? Go with a 5w-30. (This is actually what I run, Amsoil signature series 5w-30).

And no, no treatments.
I am using 5w20 amsoil signature. is it okay to switch to 5w30? and what would be the reason?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I like RP HPS - I ran the 5W20 until I made a lot more power. Then I switched to Motorcraft 5W50 for my built motor. I'd stay with 5W20 unless you race the car. No fuel treatments unless you switch from pump gas.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
I am using 5w20 amsoil signature. is it okay to switch to 5w30? and what would be the reason?
Fine to switch. Reason simply is more protection.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
5W-20 is usually spec'd by OEMs to reduce friction in the engine, thus increasing fuel mileage. I also remember that the oil squirters around the piston skirt needed the thinner oil to function properly, but those were removed after the first couple years that the Coyote was on the S197, I believe.

I switched from Amsoil to RP HPS simply because of availability. I got tired of buying Amsoil and having to pay a dealer fee just to get a better price. Amsoil is good oil, but I can't stand MLMs.

JR
Sponsored