ShaneS550

ShaneS550
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang RubyRed
I didn't take any when I originally did it as I used a premium bumper. What I noted was that if you cut along the line I showed in the pic, it is totally feasible to mount the Roush kit. All you need is some good epoxy, some 30grit, 1/16 AL bar stock, and then make some brackets for the side pieces.

I'm backed up in the garage right now so I will try to take a pic for clarity as soon as I can pull my stock bumper down.

The first time I took about 3 hours taking my sweet time and completely swapping bumper covers.

I helped Sooner 5.0 do his and it took just a couple of hours. It's really important to go slow, constant check your work, mount, check, keep going.

DO NOT FOLLOW CJ PONY PARTS instructions for installing the outer studs. I didn't screw up but I bet they did. Only put about 3/4" of stud into the Roush valance.
The rear of the bumper isn't a concern for me. It's pretty much pre-drilling holes and 3M tape that needs it to stay secure. My only problem is the side valances for the rear bumper. They have 3 J-clips that need to be installed and attach to the bumper along with the wheel-well clips and 3M tape. I wouldn't know how to do that portion on a base bumper since it needs to be cut off. Any ideas would help start the process. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Last edited:

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
So have you actually attached the Roush valence to a standard bumper or is this a theory based on installing it to a premium bumper? When you cut out the standard bumper it will have a flat edge, not the stepped lip edge the premium has. I think someone familiar with body work could make it work but I don't think its something everyone can do. If you have actually done the install please post pics, I am very curious to see it.

And yes you are absolutely right to be careful with those studs, the original video I did was an early production piece and I followed the Roush instructions which have since changed. Several videos we do are early production pieces and we give feedback to the vendors to make it better for our customers.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
So have you actually attached the Roush valence to a standard bumper or is this a theory based on installing it to a premium bumper? When you cut out the standard bumper it will have a flat edge, not the stepped lip edge the premium has. I think someone familiar with body work could make it work but I don't think its something everyone can do. If you have actually done the install please post pics, I am very curious to see it.

And yes you are absolutely right to be careful with those studs, the original video I did was an early production piece and I followed the Roush instructions which have since changed. Several videos we do are early production pieces and we give feedback to the vendors to make it better for our customers.
I remember telling myself during both installs I've done that I bet Bill was cussing up a storm, lol. I've watched a ton of your videos and probably wouldn't have done this without having seen it, so for that much kudos.:cheers:

Here's some pics to hopefully clear some things up. I was going to go ahead and modify my base bumper but it's in the attic and the garage has been cleared for the upcoming build.

The "stepped" area is only needed for the two outside bolts. The main line of screws go into the area left behind after trimming.

And [MENTION=12797]bill@cjpp[/MENTION] is correct, this is not for the beginner mod installer. This will require some knowledge, patience, and skill. It is not out of reach, however, it can be done.
roushbump.jpg

Hinds90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Anyone give this a try or something similar? I'm aware of the mind diffuser.

Sponsored

Hinds90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanaks for helping me out in the various threads I've bumped. What all have you done with your setup and tweaks you made?

kingstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Thanaks for helping me out in the various threads I've bumped. What all have you done with your setup and tweaks you made?
After the MMD diffuser fiasco, I've decided to go the GT350 valance route, I purchased a premium bumper and had it painted.