Roush supercharger quote and Q

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I thought P2 does not come with/work with ford warranty? That and I read that it pushes the engine to the limits, compared to the safer P1 kit option. I currently have an extended ford warranty 7yr 72k miles and I want to play it safe and keep the warranty (as I paid extra money for it). Would the P2 kit negate that? How exactly does it work?
If you bought an extended warranty and want to keep it, you probably should not install any supercharger. As far as I know, when you add a Roush supercharger, the Ford powertrain warranty is gone but is replaced by the Roush 3/36 from the date the car was registered. Non powertrain failures should still be covered by Ford but the powertrain, itself, is covered by Roush....NOT Ford.
Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Also be forewarned that most talk themselves into Roush for the warranty reasons but if you follow threads on the product you’ll see plenty of conversation trending towards them eventually going with an aftermarket tune to make the car drive better. Go look at the super large thread on here about the Roush to see. Lots of purchase confirmation bias on all blower types. In the long Roush thread shows that people talking you into the Roush product for the same reason they bought it “For the warranty” are the same guys that are saying everything they can to convince themselves they aren’t going to need another tune. Just be forwarned that you aren’t being told the whole story as it’s still unfolding. People sometimes talk others into doing something before they have all the answers themselves.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Also be forewarned that most talk themselves into Roush for the warranty reasons but if you follow threads on the product you’ll see plenty of conversation trending towards them eventually going with an aftermarket tune to make the car drive better. Go look at the super large thread on here about the Roush to see. Lots of purchase confirmation bias on all blower types. In the long Roush thread shows that people talking you into the Roush product for the same reason they bought it “For the warranty” are the same guys that are saying everything they can to convince themselves they aren’t going to need another tune. Just be forwarned that you aren’t being told the whole story as it’s still unfolding. People sometimes talk others into doing something before they have all the answers themselves.
I agree with the bias. I would point out that for daily spirited driving, the Roush tune is excellent. There are ZERO drivability issues. Those who go to custom tune are typically the ones who drag race on semi-regular basis. Many of those people will wait awhile before going custom just to make sure there are no bugs or issues and, if so, they have the Roush warranty.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Yeah, I think you have a point there. That's why I never had the Roush warranty. I completely understand that some guys want the warranty for a safety cushion and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, I wanted the car to perform the way I wanted it to and do the extra mods to play around with it and not have to be restricted by warranty guidelines.

Sponsored

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
The Phase 2 kit have 93 octane required tune and does the tune adjusts it self when bad 93 gas are in? I wish to purchase phase 2 for my daily driver but perhaps putting a bad gas is my only concern.
Also, any possibility that phase 2 may give more stress to the stock motor compare to the phase 1 because it has more power and torque?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
The Phase 2 kit have 93 octane required tune and does the tune adjusts it self when bad 93 gas are in? I wish to purchase phase 2 for my daily driver but perhaps putting a bad gas is my only concern.
Also, any possibility that phase 2 may give more stress to the stock motor compare to the phase 1 because it has more power and torque?
It is optimized for 93 but runs fine on 91. 93 is not required since some areas don't have it. Roush is pretty conservative with their tuning. They wouldn't offer the powertrain warranty if the risk was too high.

dennis123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 401a PP1
I agree with the bias. I would point out that for daily spirited driving, the Roush tune is excellent. There are ZERO drivability issues. Those who go to custom tune are typically the ones who drag race on semi-regular basis. Many of those people will wait awhile before going custom just to make sure there are no bugs or issues and, if so, they have the Roush warranty.
I'm not one to drag race my car, just spirited daily driving. Never have taken it to a track (maybe I will one day), but for the most part it would be my daily driver. Is the tune THAT conservative like everyone says?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I'm not one to drag race my car, just spirited daily driving. Never have taken it to a track (maybe I will one day), but for the most part it would be my daily driver. Is the tune THAT conservative like everyone says?
Until you get into the boost, you would not know it is supercharged at all. Part throttle daily driving is very docile. Idle is perfect, there is no surging or other bad behavior and shifts are smooth. However, go deeper into the throttle and under boost, it will melt street tires in a hurry.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your a bit off base, one guy my friend (Bruce) who’s warranty ends in less than a year was thinking of a VMP tune for his P2, but most of us that have 25+ months of warranty left that are canned tune are not custom tuning.

Bruce may not end up tuning his car especially after the revised canned tune comes in early July. So far the few P2 cars that have run at the track on the CANNED TUNE have run 11.3-10.6 at 126-130 which I say for warranty is excellent.

Let’s wait til Oct to really see the potential of the P2 on the warranty tune, u may be surprised what they run on a drag setup in a good DA:rockon:

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have had custom tunes in my cars since 2010. As such, I have become a bit fussy on how I like my cars to run.

I certainly do not NEED a custom tune on my Roush equipped Mustang. It is very good in stock form. However, since I have a hard time leaving anything alone, I will likely be looking at tuning at some point. Minor tweaks is all I would want. I would not be looking for more power...just a tweak or two on throttle mapping and transmission behavior.

It is also possible that Roush's upcoming new calibration will eliminate my desire to custom tune at all. I have warranty for a few months so I am in no hurry.

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
It is optimized for 93 but runs fine on 91. 93 is not required since some areas don't have it. Roush is pretty conservative with their tuning. They wouldn't offer the powertrain warranty if the risk was too high.
I have spoke this with Roush representative and I got a reply back saying stick with phase 1 if I am worried about possibility of bad 93 fuel. Starting from Phase 2, 93 seems to be required. I do have 93 gas in my area but concerned about the possibility of bad gas.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have spoke this with Roush representative and I got a reply back saying stick with phase 1 if I am worried about possibility of bad 93 fuel. Starting from Phase 2, 93 seems to be required. I do have 93 gas in my area but concerned about the possibility of bad gas.

93 is not required, it will give the best power but 91 Is safe and absolutely works on the P2

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
93 is not required, it will give the best power but 91 Is safe and absolutely works on the P2
So the Roush rep I spoke to may have the wrong info about the octane level?
Calibration optimized for 93 octane fuel, compatible with premium fuel. This is what it says on the Roush description. So both 91 and 93 gas?
Sponsored