Sponsored

Roush "Style" ebay rear spoiler review

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Yes. When I first installed mine I was off center by about 1/4 of an inch. It drove me nuts. Removing it was a nightmare. But I also used the VHB primer swabs on everything which enhances the bite substantially. I used a few strands of Spectra™ that I had laying around to help cut it loose. Floss was breaking before I could even get it started. I went through a lot of Spectra™ as well. Anyone that is concerned..if you use the tape right, it will never come off on it's own.
Sponsored

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Use a heat gun to warm up the seam a bit, then use fishing line by holding it on each side of the spoiler and slowly working across it. (I'd also run some blue painters tape above and below the spoiler to protect the paint). Once removed, heat the residual tape a bit more and carefully peel off what you can. Whatever is left use 'goo gone'.

Csnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Spoiler mounting with tape

Ok guy's ordered this spoiler and the 1" wide 3m tape with tape installed in center of spoiler none seems to contact the trunk. Somebody tell me the answer

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
Ok guy's ordered this spoiler and the 1" wide 3m tape with tape installed in center of spoiler none seems to contact the trunk. Somebody tell me the answer
What do you mean by center, vertically or horizontally? I put tape across the entire spoiler length and didn't have a problem, just pressing it down in all areas as it bonded.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I think you are saying that you put tape in the middle, but the middle isn't contacting the trunk.. eh, not really sure how to read the question.. :shrug:

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tape you bought may not be thick enough. The actual thickness of the tape. VHB tape comes in varying thicknesses. What I got was just under 1.60mm thick, or 62mils. The first roll that I bought was only .6mm thick, and I had a similar situation. Try to get the specs on what you have, and go from there...

-Jeff

AvaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Just got the spoiler in today. Gloss black. Test fit it on my friends car because I don't have mine yet.

Fitment: 9/10 - Doesn't fit flush in some spots, but once it's on there with tape I'm sure you won't be able to tell.
Paint: 8/10 - Had some specs in the paint and one of the edges was chipped but that was expected given the price point.

Overall, for the price, you can't beat it. Arrived in a timely manner and in good packaging as well. No instructions, but for me doesn't matter since I'm just going to use some tape.

Sorry about crappy night pictures, I'll probably do a better mock up when he comes over next week for car wash day :p
image.jpg

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Yes. When I first installed mine I was off center by about 1/4 of an inch. It drove me nuts. Removing it was a nightmare. But I also used the VHB primer swabs on everything which enhances the bite substantially. I used a few strands of Spectra™ that I had laying around to help cut it loose. Floss was breaking before I could even get it started. I went through a lot of Spectra™ as well. Anyone that is concerned..if you use the tape right, it will never come off on it's own.
Did you use heat as well? As for the residue, what did you use to remove that? I am going to attempt removing mine this weekend.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used heat. For the residue I used Goo gone. I applied it to the residue and let it soak in for a few hours, applying it about every hour. Then I used my thumb nail and a soft rag to remove the rest of it. There are better products, but I am always concerned with paint damage, and GG has never let me down.

[MENTION=23273]OKC S550[/MENTION]

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
I used heat. For the residue I used Goo gone. I applied it to the residue and let it soak in for a few hours, applying it about every hour. Then I used my thumb nail and a soft rag to remove the rest of it. There are better products, but I am always concerned with paint damage, and GG has never let me down.

[MENTION=23273]OKC S550[/MENTION]
Sounds good! Thank you for the advice.

Sponsored

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I used a heat gun on low to slightly heat everything up, then i used fishing line (like 30 lb test braided line) and the fishing line still wanted to constantly break on me. It works best if you use the fishing line in a back and forth motion like a saw to cut the adhesive foam. You'll be left with a bunch of the adhesive foam still on the trunk. For that, I reapplied the heat and the majority of it peeled up. Then Goo Gone for the actual sticky residue that was left. Coat the heck out of it and work it in with your fingers, then come back with either your thumbnail or a plastic scraper of some sort. Takes time, but it's not that hard.

5LTR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Efren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT A10 401a 2017 Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I got one also in ebony since the black was shadow black which I believe is the metallic back on the fusion's.I was def shocked at the quality. we will see how the paint holds up but for 152 to my door painted, I cannot complain yet.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is everyone buying these from "ikon" on eBay, or is there another distributor?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with ikon. There seem to be less issues with that vendor. I received it within 5 days of order, which was nice as well.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Second on Ikon. The backside is a good design. The whole piece is accurate and lightweight. Only some sharp seams need a little sanding before painting. I had mine professionally painted.

Here is mine. I used 1" VHB from Amazon and no screws. I used the adhesive promoter. There is a lot more juice than there is sponge and it dripped onto the paint. I thought i had ruined the paint job but it rubbed out after waiting overnight for it to harden back up. Thank God.

I made template for the stripes out of a piece of paper. I then cut stripes from my raw vinyl to save a few bucks. Big Worm confirmed over the phone how difficult it is to stripe a spoiler and that overlapping two upper and lower pieces is the recipe for success. So I converted my design from 2 pieces to 4.

It was very important to locate the exact center of the spoiler with a piece of 1" blue tape and put the stripes exactly on center. This is because that will set the centering of the spoiler to the trunk later.

I held the spoiler against the back and then put pieces of tape on the trunk as alignment aides for the upper surface of the spoiler.

I then used a razor knife to split the tape backing at the centerline and peeled back a couple inches on either side.

After mustering up some courage I aligned the trunk and spoiler stripes at the center, plus used the tape marks for up/down positioning, and then pressed the center in place.

Finally I worked out towards each side a little at a time by carefully continuing to align up/down while pulling out the tape backing and pressing on the spoiler.

Here are some photos.
20161216_134132.jpg
20161216_155354.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: