Ruby Rocket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3, 2011 GT premium
New member here.
I have a 2015 Roush Stage 3. First off, I'm a lady driver and am looking for some good tips on autocross for fun. Best drive modes, tires and safety. I need TRACTION!
I purchased a 2011 GT 6spd last year and was working my way up to my Roush with autocross, skid car class and a instructional track day trying to up my driving skills in preparation for handling the 670hp in my Roush but only got one season before arthritis in my hip put a stop to the clutch. I've owned the Roush, affectionately known as "Ruby Rocket" for 3 years now where she's been a Sunday driver, show car, cruiser and finally ran her a few times at the drag strip this year. But it's time for her to shine and me to put my big girl panties on and enjoy her!
I live in Oregon and have found a great club to autocross NFP with. Again, just looking to hone my driving skills in this car, not compete. I may do some competition in powderpuff at the drag strip and try a track day here and there but really enjoy autocross the most so far. She still has her original wheel and tire set up and only has 6,500 miles. She gets squarilly everytime you step on it a bit. We tried track mode the other day and were still burning rubber at 60 from a stand still🙄.
Anyhoo, I was hoping to find some folks with similar cars that have gone through the growing pains of driving a higher hp car well and safely. I'm not interested in becoming one of those Mustangs plowing through crowds if you know what mean😉
Sponsored

Last edited:

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
I've been doing some autocross, both with an '08 Bullitt and a supercharged '18 Roush. The '18 is slightly different than your '15, but it should be pretty similar. Autocross (200TW) tires definitely make it easier to put the power to the ground. I've run with all traction control nannies turned off. You'll just burn up the rear brakes if you try to run with it on. I don't know if the '15s have a dyno plug like the '18 and newer cars do, but I unplug it so all of the nannies are for sure off. Someone with an older car may know exactly how to get everything off. With the Bullitt, I can go full throttle a significant amount of time on an autocross course. With the Roush I have to roll into the throttle and be sure I'm going straight when it gets matted. With 305 (Falken RT660) tires I can go full throttle quite a bit. With the original 275 Continentals I was rarely using full throttle. You can do a lot of steering with the rear end by using the throttle. The trick is to find the balance between steering and looping it. One interesting thing is that running the Roush has actually improved my placings with the Bullitt when I run it. One more note on the tires... Whether you get separate autocross tires for it or use regular street tires, you really should get something new. Even though the tires don't have many miles on them, they have a significant amount of time on them. Running a performance tire in extreme conditions once they hit 5-6 years is taking a risk. They also lose traction over time as they heat cycle. I think it sounds like a good idea to get your car out and enjoy it. They are definitely fun!