Sponsored

Roush Stage 2 Supercharger for 2017 GT - Anyone used the Roush Calibration in UK?

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
Hi all,

Trying to get info on whether anyone has fitted the Stage 2 Roush to a UK vehicle and had any success with the out of the box calibration? We all know Ford will supply the Stage 1 over here, presumably with a UK compatible tune. But there's not much (like zero) detail I can find on if the Stage 2 will work out of the box.

I've emailed Roush USA with my VIN, who have said they're not sure there's a calibration for "this emissions level vehicle", but will need my calibration ID from the PCM to be sure. They've not been specific about if that extends to the Stage 1 which I've asked about.

Theoretically, emissions aside; I want to know, if I were to try and install a calibration to my ECU, would the process fail to install at all (due to the tool detecting incompatibility, which is what the Ford Procal will do), or would it install and just leave me potentially above the expected emissions for our region? I can live with the latter, as it would mean the vehicle is at least drivable, leaving me options to fix the emissions before the next annual test. Be that a remap or otherwise.

Perhaps [B]Jay@mountuneUK[/B] could shed some light pls?

Cheers!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
i'm also interested in this as i'm thinking of S/C this year but no idea what i want, they all seem to have pros n cons, Whipple, roush, eldebrok,

i'd like 700hp but currently thinking whipple gen 5 (3.0l) atm but i change my mind like the wind

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I went with a Whipple & it's been a nightmare.
I've got a 19MY GT which came with an OPF.

If you guys own 15 to 17s, then you're likely good to go as I believe the tuning after market has the knowledge & experience to do the job.

However, IME, the U.S. based tuning world for 18MY onwards, with OPF, is undeveloped.
So screwing a Whipple onto a OPF, 2018 onwards gen 3 Coyote, is going to hurt!
YMMV.

OP
OP
The_Fireball

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
Yup, certainly plenty of places to get an aftermarket map done, which I may well visit at some point.

I'm specifically after information of anyone that's had the Roush Stage 2 installed on a UK spec car, and if the default calibration worked or not.

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
Hi @The_Fireball,

You may or may not be aware NemesisUK.com are the UK's Offical Dealer for Roush Performance in the UK.

We have been supplying these kits for the 2015-2017 since 2016 when Roush released their RHD kit and had developed International Calibration Files.

So in answer to your question, this is a confirmed Yes, That out of the box the tune calibration provided with the Roush Phase 2 Kit will be compatible for your Mustang.

With uploading the calibration file to the vehicle if you plan on doing the install yourself you will need a Roush RDT Tool that we can rent out under a deposit return basis.

If you were looking to have this professionally installed, we have a handful of Mustang Garages we can recommend.

We have the kit listed here:

Roush Phase 2 720HP Supercharger:

https://nemesisuk.com/collections/mustang-2015-17-engine/products/roush-422001-mustang-gt-2015-17

Roush Supercharger RHD Install Kit:

https://nemesisuk.com/collections/m...l-r2300-supercharger-roush-performance-422011

We don't currently have stock of these but we have weekly shipments from the US so providing Roush have stock we can supply this kit in 1-2 weeks.

At the moment our pricing is a little out and will be updating this shortly to improve on this as we are aware of the current improvement in the exchange rates and hopefully there will now be a bit more stability since we are over the hill with Brexit. If you have any questions or want to talk further on this please feel free to drop us an email and will be more than happy to help:

https://nemesisuk.com/pages/contact-us

Cheers

Guy

Sponsored

OP
OP
The_Fireball

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
Hi Guy,

Super, thanks very much for the answer, just what I was after!

Good to know you offer the PCM device rental service. I've downloaded the Roush RDT tool as per their documentation (here), which it seems should work with the Ford Procal OBD device or another J2534 compatible device I've got, I've just not had a chance to check. Failing that, I'll be sure to give you a shout to take you up on that service, thanks.

Short story long, there's some background to this (should it be useful to anyone stumbling on this in future):
I had a lot of back and forth with Ford Performance USA 2 years back regarding the calibration on their Power Pack 2 kit, and ended up with a lot of misinformation. Although I'd bought it in the UK, everything looked very USA (92 octane sticker, notifications on the Ford Performance Procal tool download page that this wasn't for EU markets), so I'd thought I'd been sold a USA kit by mistake. USA FP guys confirmed it based on the pictures I sent them, leaving me scratching my head. It was eventually cleared up by a Ford Performance rep in the UK that I eventually got through to (not easy to find!).

Basically, the USA Ford Performance guys were completely unaware that the kits which are sent to the UK have their calibrations codes noted and tagged "server side", so when you enter the code in the Ford Procal tool to download the calibration, you're provided with a UK compatible tune instead of a USA one. Simply importing a USA Power Pack 2 will result in the tool telling you the calibration isn't compatible.

Back to the Supercharger - I figured I'd check if the situation was the same, as from what I could make out, Roush don't seem to differentiate quite as much - vouchers don't appear to be "region locked". After some confused replies from Roush USA, I had the feeling it might be a similar situation; it's a level of detail the guys on the email/phones are just not told.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@The_Fireball

If you don't like the stock calibration, what are your options?

I foolishly assumed the Whipple stock tune would drive well and that if I required the tune be tweaked, that Whipple would support. In fact, Whipple didn't want to support and the stock calibration was poop!
Guy on here fitted an Edelbrock and said the stock calibration was undriveable and ended up going to a third party, U.S. tuner.

I'd suggest that before spending a lot of cash, ask what support you can expect, to get your car to drive nicely, once you've installed your SC.

OP
OP
The_Fireball

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
@The_Fireball

If you don't like the stock calibration, what are your options?

I foolishly assumed the Whipple stock tune would drive well and that if I required the tune be tweaked, that Whipple would support. In fact, Whipple didn't want to support and the stock calibration was poop!
Guy on here fitted an Edelbrock and said the stock calibration was undriveable and ended up going to a third party, U.S. tuner.

I'd suggest that before spending a lot of cash, ask what support you can expect, to get your car to drive nicely, once you've installed your SC.
That's a very good point; one just assumes the base calibration is fine (as in drivable), but assumptions being the mother of all.... etc.

In that situation, it's no different to having no compatible calibration, in that the result is the same: I need to take it for a custom tune. The difference being whether it's driven there or trailered.

I fully expect to go get a custom calibration at some point after some additional changes, as something live mapped to the particulars of that engine will always be better, if it's done by the right place. My initial line of questioning was purely functional really, to establish whether I'll be able to get it out of the workshop and drive it or be left needing to get it trailered. That may still happen for any number of reasons, I just wanted to manage my own expectations! I wouldn't expect any of the SC suppliers to provide custom calibrations per customer; not without hiking up the cost of their base packages significantly.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I bolted a Kenne Bell on my car. Haven't looked back. Easy install, great bit if kit, emission legal tune. Drives well. So much potential for more power

OP
OP
The_Fireball

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
An update for posterity; Roush USA got back to say there is a compatible map, which is what Guy@Nemisis had already confirmed. I had to provide the original calibration ID (HR3A-14C204-UE) for them to check with as the VIN wasn't doing it.

Added the Stage 2 to the order list with all the other parts. Should be March by the time the container comes over from the states so at that point I'll probably put a build thread up.

Sponsored

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
An update for posterity; Roush USA got back to say there is a compatible map, which is what Guy@Nemisis had already confirmed. I had to provide the original calibration ID (HR3A-14C204-UE) for them to check with as the VIN wasn't doing it.

Added the Stage 2 to the order list with all the other parts. Should be March by the time the container comes over from the states so at that point I'll probably put a build thread up.
No problem and glad I could be of help! 🍻

OP
OP
The_Fireball

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
Resurrecting this thread: now on the last step of the installation, I'm blocked by the Roush software wanting a Tear Tag for my PCM. Can't find that info anywhere including Ford PTS and mortorcraft service website (which reports it as 0000).

Seems from looking around that the S197's had that printed on the PCM but S550s don't.

Anyone else in the UK come across this?

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@The_Fireball
Interesting up date.
I can't help with your issue.
But would be good to know how going FI has worked out for you, so far.
:like:

OP
OP
The_Fireball

The_Fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 RHD
Well having scoured the net for the last day, it turns out i'm in an annoying grey area. The 2015's-16s had this code on the PCM, but the 2017's don't.

Found a Roush video for their other very similar software tool (Roush diagnostic clean tech) which has a voiceover which says to contact them if there is no Tear Tag on your PCM and they'll give you the code for the tooling, which would enable download of the right calibration.

So that's the answer; it's not getting done this weekend, and an email to Roush is in order. To be fair, they've been great at getting back with decent answers when I've contacted them before.

As I've found with a lot of this install, it's been a case of out of date instructions or missing steps. I get that manufacturers change things as they go, but there's certainly been enough differences with the 2017 model to have made it a pain in a number of places. I'll probably do a post on the differences when this is all done to help anyone else along the same way.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
hope you get it sorted quickly, I couldn't do with the hassle of wrong instructions or missing / wrong parts in the kits.
Sponsored