Sponsored

Roush Phase 2 (installed by Ford) or Whipple Stage 2 (Installed by shop) on my 2021 GT Premium?

Which kit should I get?

• Total voters

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So, I voted Roush as it seems to fit your stated goals a little better. However, I did see David Patterson’s video (That Dude in Blue on YouTube) about the VMP Loki kit he put on his S550 that might also fit your goals, although I don’t know much about the Loki kit beyond David’s video
Sponsored

Reactions: MCS
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Before I put on a pair of 305 /35 /19 Nitto 555r2 drag radials the car was just insane at wot but the Nitto's did the trick.
Thanks for this!!! I am about to place an order for those 555 R2s this week for the rears.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
My dilemma; I'm looking at installing a Supercharger on ye olde Mustang.

I'm not looking to break land speed records
I'm not looking to run 9-second quarter miles at the track (although 10 is nice)
I'm not looking to have bragging rights of 800 rwhp at the car shows
I'm not looking to have the "Fastest Mustang Ever" cause there will always be someone faster

What I am looking for is something a little special, something fun. In the city, light to light, maybe a little fast acceleration when getting on to the highway. You know what I mean.

So which kit would provide the best power and torque for city driving or highway driving? Reliability, dependability, low maintenance etc? Note: If you choose one or the other it would be great if you gave reasons why other than "That's what I have" LOL

ROUSH KIT (installed by Ford):
Includes: Kit, Install, CAI, whatever else they do at the Ford Dealership when installing one of these
Cost: $15,000.00 CDN + Tax
ETA: 5-7 weeks
NOTES: They stated it includes CAI although someone said it comes with the kit already.

WHIPPLE KIT (installed by Mustang-focused shop)
Includes
: Kit, Install, Data Logging/Tuning, and Antifreeze upgrade cause stock is too corrosive.
Cost: $16525.00 CDN + Tax
ETA: Could be up to 10 weeks
NOTES: They said they could tune 91, 93, 94 whatever I wanted but 91 octane minumum
Forgot to mention that I had Brenspeed in Indiana install mine at it was right around $12,000.I believe the Phase 2 price has since gone up. Brenspeed did a beautiful install and I've had zero problems. I highly recommend them or a Mustang focused shop over a Ford dealer. Mustang focused shops do so many of these things that they get the little stuff right. Just make sure that if you choose Roush that the installer is an authorized Roush dealer/installer.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this!!! I am about to place an order for those 555 R2s this week for the rears.
They are very good tires and fine in the rain as long as you don't get froggy. I'll swtch back to G2 this fall.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
They're both great products. The Roush has one feature I'm not sure is on the Whipple (Whipple owners chime in) and that's a removable air elbow. If you have to service an injector on the driver side, you'll appreciate one of these. To be fair, I put 50,000 miles on myu last 03 Terminator with a Whipple 2.3 and the non-removable air elbow wasn't an issue. Still... My VMP has the same rotor pack as the Roush but doesn't have a removable elbow in the case. I'm dreading reaching back there to replace the canister purge valve.

That and the Roush blower is quiet. Not sure if current Whipple blowers make the same screech as the old 2.3, but the VMP iis so quiet (and so is the Roush) I had to check to be sure it was working....lol

Sponsored

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
Please. Do not take advice from anyone who recommended the Roush over a Whipple. Ever.

I've installed hundreds of blowers and other Forced Induction setups on the S550 cars. I own an 18+ Roush blower car. It's quite literally the worst unit on the market for 18+ cars:

"Roush Supercharger: The worst blower on the market for 2018+ Ford Mustang – Parker Performance"

https://ppflco.com/blogs/news/roush...t-blower-on-the-market-for-2018-ford-mustangs

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Thanks Parker. This is actually a debate I have been struggling with. 15 to $17,000 Canadian is a significant portion of money to invest in some toys. I'll check out your blog post.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
They are very good tires and fine in the rain as long as you don't get froggy. I'll swtch back to G2 this fall.
Ya the G2s are fine on the front but for any hope of traction gotta go R2 in the rear.

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Parker. This is actually a debate I have been struggling with. 15 to $17,000 Canadian is a significant portion of money to invest in some toys. I'll check out your blog post.
Based on your signature - you have a car that is worthy of the best. You didn't opt for a base model and I think you would find yourself significantly disappointed if you opted to give your High Premium vehicle a base model blower. You won't find much in the way of disappointment if you make the investment in a Stage 2 Whipple kit. Superior R&D, superior engineering, superior fit/finish/results.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Based on your signature - you have a car that is worthy of the best. You didn't opt for a base model and I think you would find yourself significantly disappointed if you opted to give your High Premium vehicle a base model blower. You won't find much in the way of disappointment if you make the investment in a Stage 2 Whipple kit. Superior R&D, superior engineering, superior fit/finish/results.
I hear ya. I suppose it all comes down to the rep of the shop that will be installing.

Da Silva Racing is the shop that can do Whipple and they are reasonably close (like an hour away) vs the Ford Dealership down the street and the Roush kit.

Sponsored

jmorris47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
MCS, I have heard a ton of "this one is better than that one" and "that one sucks"...surf the web and you will find people that will tell you horror stories about all of them.

I had, and still have, the same stated goals as you do. My 2019 PPL2 Roush Phase 2 equipped car is a few miles short of 30,000 miles and knocks down 26+mph on the highway (as long as I drive like an adult). The car runs perfectly. I have found Roush to be incredibly responsive company even answering the dummy questions I asked when I was doing my research.

I guess any of the major company's force induction kits will put a grin on your face. Me knowing Ford worked directly with Roush on developing the 18+ supercharger kit and my stated goals, that included the Roush Powertrain warranty, is the reason I went with the Roush. The two Ford dealerships I've dealt with (purchase/install and Ford recalls) found Roush to be an outstand partner. Maybe I have been lucky. If your local Ford dealership doesn't have a great reputation then I would go a different route. If your goals change, then yep, there are a endless ways to spend more money to go faster. Find the product that will meet your goals, in the price range you can afford, and a reputable installation shop and enjoy they heck out of your new toy. Good luck.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
MCS, I have heard a ton of "this one is better than that one" and "that one sucks"...surf the web and you will find people that will tell you horror stories about all of them.

I had, and still have, the same stated goals as you do. My 2019 PPL2 Roush Phase 2 equipped car is a few miles short of 30,000 miles and knocks down 26+mph on the highway (as long as I drive like an adult). The car runs perfectly. I have found Roush to be incredibly responsive company even answering the dummy questions I asked when I was doing my research.

I guess any of the major company's force induction kits will put a grin on your face. Me knowing Ford worked directly with Roush on developing the 18+ supercharger kit and my stated goals, that included the Roush Powertrain warranty, is the reason I went with the Roush. The two Ford dealerships I've dealt with (purchase/install and Ford recalls) found Roush to be an outstand partner. Maybe I have been lucky. If your local Ford dealership doesn't have a great reputation then I would go a different route. If your goals change, then yep, there are a endless ways to spend more money to go faster. Find the product that will meet your goals, in the price range you can afford, and a reputable installation shop and enjoy they heck out of your new toy. Good luck.
exactly, I totally agree. the OP is not planning to take it to drag strip, not planning to race it, not planning to increase HP beyond 'stock' SC tunes... here in Ontario, aside from 1-2 weeks a year in total, we don't have super hot temps. 80F is considered hot here :whew:. half of my 'Summer' season driving is below 70F. either kit will give far more that one could reasonably use on street -if I floor my car in 2nd gear, it's spinning like crazy on 305 200TW tires, 3rd gear WOT would get one to very illegal speeds within seconds. Honestly, I would have picked something with 100HP less if it was available and be able to enjoy it more during street driving.

yes, Whipple is technically superior product from cooling design standpoint, which may also be pretty much irrelevant in a number of cases and scenarios.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
oh, and wanted to share my recent experience - one of my cats went bad at the beginning of this year (got CEL for driver side cat). I exchanged a few e-mails with my Ford dealer, sent them couple quick logs, they ordered parts, made appointment once they arrived. I have dropped the car, jumped into a rental car provided by them and drove away. picked my car few days later and it's been running fine so far. Maybe repairs were covered by Ford warranty, maybe they were covered by Roush warranty, I have no idea and couldn't care less. nobody ever tried to push back on coverage, though one could argue that this could be a defective cat and Ford issue, or failure caused by SC and Roush issue.

good luck trying to coordinate something like this between DaSilva, Whipple and Ford. :crazy:

• Sad
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
good luck trying to coordinate something like this between DaSilva, Whipple and Ford. :crazy:
Stop reminding me of all the things that can go wrong, please. I live in reality all day and prefer to live in my own world after hours!

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Well, I've picked a direction. I'm gonna go with the Roush Phase 2. I really appreciate everyone's input and knowledge on this... Some of you guys know entirely too much about these systems! This will be my first SC car. Nitrous? Had it, Turbo? Done it. But never a supercharger and never a Mustang. Should be fun!

Why did I choose Roush when Whipple seems to have been voted higher in the poll?
  1. The Ford dealerships around here can install and warranty Roush for one.
  2. The kit + install cost was a bit less but not a deciding factor.
  3. Have no plans to go beyond 750 since this is a street car and a weekend toy.
After much research, I believe it goes like this.

The Roush Phase 2 is a complete product. 750 is it. Plus or minus a few things here or there.

The Whipple is a platform that you can scale according to how big you want to turn it up.

After 750 I'm done LOL
Sponsored