Sponsored

Roush / FP Supercharger (Sacramento CA) - Need Opinions!

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Disclaimer: I know this topic may have been beat to death, and there are honestly countless threads about this topic. I just wanted to ask some specific questions and hopefully get the information I need to make my decision!

I have just purchased a month ago a 2020 Mustang GT PP1 6-spd fully loaded including MagneRide (currently at 1,200 miles on her). I was wanting to get a supercharger installed on her. I've pretty much settled on the Roush Phase 2 Supercharger (750 HP)

Reason I would want the Roush Supercharger is:

1. It looks stock, and the look of the engine bay would remind me of my very first car (a 1995 ThunderBird Super Coupe 5-spd manual)
  2. I like the thought of having a Supercharger that isn't too crazy, because this is still going to be my daily driver and not a track or drag-strip car. (Just will do a few pulls every now and then, but nothing crazy.. I just want to have fun sometimes, but mostly drive normal)
  3. I like that the Warranty will still basically be there. (I don't want to buy a 50k car, and have the engine blow up after Supercharging it, and then be left in the cold replacing the entire engine spending even more money to repair it.. again this is my daily driver)
  4. Did I mention, I love the look of this supercharger? LOL (Yes, that matters to me)

Yes, I know I could get more power with something else. I know that it's the watered down version of a Whipple or something else. I don't need a drag-strip monster... I just want it to look cool to me when I pop the hood, and be fun during pulls, but drive normal otherwise.

With all that out of the way, let me get to what I've come here to ask...

I live in Folsom CA, and so I inquired at Performance Ford in Roseville about the Roush Phase 2 Supercharger install.

Originally inquired about the Phase 2 Roush Supercharger (750 HP) because it came with the larger inter-cooler up front and with normal driving / spirited driving it would, in my mind, stay cooler! However, the guy at Ford Performance in Roseville said that Roush is backed up and he wouldn't be able to get the Superchager (Phase 2 or Phase 1) until late August or September... (Again, I live in CA so winters aren't that bad here at all.. but I didn't want to get it right when it starts getting colder, what fun is that? LOL)

The guy at Ford Performance in Roseville told me that he could get (in less than a week) a Ford Performance Supercharger which as he said, is exactly the same as the Roush Phase 1 700 HP Supercharger (and when I looked into it, he appears to be correct) and I could upgrade to the 750 HP Inter-cooler and Tune at a later date if I wanted. (Although that costs even more money... CJ Pony Parts has the upgrade listed for like $600 Bucks!)

I was quoted $10,500 for the Ford Performance Supercharger (which again, as I'm told.. is the same as the phase 1 Roush supercharger - 700HP) and of course the installation of it.

Joe, I believe his name was.. told me that he recommends changing out the oil pump gears as well.. which all in he quoted me for $12,500 (700 HP Ford Performance Supercharger, Oil Pump Gears, and the installation of everything).

Seem like a lot of money for a supercharger / install, especially if I have to shell out another $600+ for the upgrade kit and probably a few hundred more for the installation of that!

I'm just wondering if you guys think that $12,500 is too much to spend on a 700 HP Supercharger and to upgrade the oil pump gears.. (not sure if OPG on the 2020 GT is necessary or not, although I looked it up and I guess the Oil Pump gears can fail?)

I understand that the Warranty for the Roush Supercharger doesn't start when you install the Supercharger, rather it starts when you drive the car off the lot originally; so for example: if you have the supercharger installed at 30k miles, you only have 6k miles to go before you're not longer covered.. right? (That means every mile I put on my car is one less mile I have on the warranty whenever I do get one installed)

Which is why I wanted this done ASAP... (Just seems damn steep for a phase 1 supercharger/install especially with the additional cost of the Oil Pump Gears, and the upgrade kit / Install later )

Any Thoughts?

Should I have them change out the Oil Pump gears as long as they're digging in there and installing the Supercharger if I decide to pull the trigger?

Just seems like a ton of money...

Sponsored

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Disclaimer: I know this topic may have been beat to death, and there are honestly countless threads about this topic. I just wanted to ask some specific questions and hopefully get the information I need to make my decision!

I have just purchased a month ago a 2020 Mustang GT PP1 6-spd fully loaded including MagneRide (currently at 1,200 miles on her). I was wanting to get a supercharger installed on her. I've pretty much settled on the Roush Phase 2 Supercharger (750 HP)

Reason I would want the Roush Supercharger is:

1. It looks stock, and the look of the engine bay would remind me of my very first car (a 1995 ThunderBird Super Coupe 5-spd manual)
  2. I like the thought of having a Supercharger that isn't too crazy, because this is still going to be my daily driver and not a track or drag-strip car. (Just will do a few pulls every now and then, but nothing crazy.. I just want to have fun sometimes, but mostly drive normal)
  3. I like that the Warranty will still basically be there. (I don't want to buy a 50k car, and have the engine blow up after Supercharging it, and then be left in the cold replacing the entire engine spending even more money to repair it.. again this is my daily driver)
  4. Did I mention, I love the look of this supercharger? LOL (Yes, that matters to me)

Yes, I know I could get more power with something else. I know that it's the watered down version of a Whipple or something else. I don't need a drag-strip monster... I just want it to look cool to me when I pop the hood, and be fun during pulls, but drive normal otherwise.

With all that out of the way, let me get to what I've come here to ask...

I live in Folsom CA, and so I inquired at Performance Ford in Roseville about the Roush Phase 2 Supercharger install.

Originally inquired about the Phase 2 Roush Supercharger (750 HP) because it came with the larger inter-cooler up front and with normal driving / spirited driving it would, in my mind, stay cooler! However, the guy at Ford Performance in Roseville said that Roush is backed up and he wouldn't be able to get the Superchager (Phase 2 or Phase 1) until late August or September... (Again, I live in CA so winters aren't that bad here at all.. but I didn't want to get it right when it starts getting colder, what fun is that? LOL)

The guy at Ford Performance in Roseville told me that he could get (in less than a week) a Ford Performance Supercharger which as he said, is exactly the same as the Roush Phase 1 700 HP Supercharger (and when I looked into it, he appears to be correct) and I could upgrade to the 750 HP Inter-cooler and Tune at a later date if I wanted. (Although that costs even more money... CJ Pony Parts has the upgrade listed for like $600 Bucks!)

I was quoted $10,500 for the Ford Performance Supercharger (which again, as I'm told.. is the same as the phase 1 Roush supercharger - 700HP) and of course the installation of it.

Joe, I believe his name was.. told me that he recommends changing out the oil pump gears as well.. which all in he quoted me for $12,500 (700 HP Ford Performance Supercharger, Oil Pump Gears, and the installation of everything).

Seem like a lot of money for a supercharger / install, especially if I have to shell out another $600+ for the upgrade kit and probably a few hundred more for the installation of that!

I'm just wondering if you guys think that $12,500 is too much to spend on a 700 HP Supercharger and to upgrade the oil pump gears.. (not sure if OPG on the 2020 GT is necessary or not, although I looked it up and I guess the Oil Pump gears can fail?)

I understand that the Warranty for the Roush Supercharger doesn't start when you install the Supercharger, rather it starts when you drive the car off the lot originally; so for example: if you have the supercharger installed at 30k miles, you only have 6k miles to go before you're not longer covered.. right? (That means every mile I put on my car is one less mile I have on the warranty whenever I do get one installed)

Which is why I wanted this done ASAP... (Just seems damn steep for a phase 1 supercharger/install especially with the additional cost of the Oil Pump Gears, and the upgrade kit / Install later )

Any Thoughts?

Should I have them change out the Oil Pump gears as long as they're digging in there and installing the Supercharger if I decide to pull the trigger?

Just seems like a ton of money...

@Stymee @brucelinc @Jmtoast @Stage_3 @hlfbkd420 @m3incorp are a few of the guys from the huge Roush thread that can weigh in on your scenario.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you do oil pump gears or crank sprocket it will void the Roush Super Charger Warranty.

Call Beefcake Racing and order the Roush Phase 2 at a GREAT PRICE, then find a Ford dealer in your area that will install it

Labor should be 1400-1800
Plus fluids 140

You now have 1200 miles, the warranty will start when the blowers on so if u do the kit with say 5k miles on the car u will have 31k miles worth of warranty left and depending on the month you bought the car the 36 months start the day u bought it, for me I drove my car 6 months before I did the blower, that left me 30 months of warranty

But it’s whatever comes first (Mileage or Time) In my case I only drive 4000 miles a yr so I’m using the months left.

It shouldn’t cost u more than $9000 out the door, Do the Roush Phase 2

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I know you like the look of the roush but check out Edelbrocks 2650 warranty. Hands down the best warranty for a supercharger.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Many many many complaints about the Edelbrock tune. If you want excellent drivability and a warranty, stick with Roush.

Stymee is right. Check with Ford dealers for installation if you furnish the kit. Labor cost can be negotiable if they want the work. A dealer with a tech experienced in supercharger installation is best. Buy the kit from Beefcake racing. Deal with Terry Reeves. He is the owner.

Oil pump gears/crank sprocket upgrade is totally unnecessary with the Roush and your goals for the car.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I didn't know it was that bad. Good to know.
The Edelbrock with a custom tune is an excellent choice but no warranty with the custom tune. You are right that their warranty is good if you use their tune but their stock tune has had many issues including stalling, surging and other problems. There have been reports of service issues, too.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm on my second Roush Stage 3 car. That should tell you something right there.
If you have to pass emissions and want great warranty service/customer service,......Go Roushcharger. I'm not crapping/bad mouthing on the other supercharger/blower manufacturers at all, they all make great products.
The Roush tune is definitely a conservative tune, but that's for warranty/longevity. As a daily driver or sunny day driver, it's perfect. It's still a quick car, no doubt about that at all. Go for it and good luck! :muscle:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The Edelbrock with a custom tune is an excellent choice but no warranty with the custom tune. You are right that their warranty is good if you use their tune but their stock tune has had many issues including stalling, surging and other problems. There have been reports of service issues, too.

Out here in Ca we only have a few CARB exempt superchargers to choose from. Now its one less. Need a good daily driver with some fun.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
If you do oil pump gears or crank sprocket it will void the Roush Super Charger Warranty.

Call Beefcake Racing and order the Roush Phase 2 at a GREAT PRICE, then find a Ford dealer in your area that will install it

Labor should be 1400-1800
Plus fluids 140

You now have 1200 miles, the warranty will start when the blowers on so if u do the kit with say 5k miles on the car u will have 31k miles worth of warranty left and depending on the month you bought the car the 36 months start the day u bought it, for me I drove my car 6 months before I did the blower, that left me 30 months of warranty

But it’s whatever comes first (Mileage or Time) In my case I only drive 4000 miles a yr so I’m using the months left.

It shouldn’t cost u more than $9000 out the door, Do the Roush Phase 2
I would be cautious of the dealership offering to void the warranty out of the gate (assuming FP is similar to Roush in this case).

OP
OP

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I would be cautious of the dealership offering to void the warranty out of the gate (assuming FP is similar to Roush in this case).
Yeah, the guy guy at the Ford dealership I spoke to didn't say it voided the warranty? Maybe he didn't know?

How do you know if the Ford Tech changes out the gears that it would void the warranty? Obviously that's a deal-break for me!

It's a little late to call Beefcake Racing (since I'm on west coast time) to see if they have the Phase 2 Kit in stock. (Seems like most places don't have it).

Anyway, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have one in stock.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the guy guy at the Ford dealership I spoke to didn't say it voided the warranty? Maybe he didn't know?

How do you know if the Ford Tech changes out the gears that it would void the warranty? Obviously that's a deal-break for me!

It's a little late to call Beefcake Racing (since I'm on west coast time) to see if they have the Phase 2 Kit in stock. (Seems like most places don't have it).

I tried emailing Beefcake Racing ( [email protected] ) but I keep getting "email couldn't be delivered" notifications. Even tried sending as plain text.. lol

Anyway, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have one in stock.
@beefcake

If Terry sees this he may reach out and PM you or request you call him. Either way the guy knows superchargers in and out and his service is top notch (his track record is pretty damn impressive as well).

OP
OP

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
If Terry sees this he may reach out and PM you or request you call him. Either way the guy knows superchargers in and out and his service is top notch (his track record is pretty damn impressive as well).
Yeah, no doubt!

I'll hit them up tomorrow and see if they have one in stock.. I'll check into a few more shops to see if they can give me a better deal than what Ford Performance of Roseville was quoting me.

EDIT: I was able to send them an email, my dumbass can't spell TEAM to save my life I guess? HAHA

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Why not check with Shaun at AED because he is the best tuner and installer in your area?
Sponsored