Sponsored

Roush Cat-Back for 18+ w/o Active Exhaust

paul_g

Hi Everyone, I recently purchase a brand new 2019 GT/CS 10-SP-AT (non active exhaust). This is my 5th mustang over time, and I still have #3, a 2005 Red GT Convertible. The Red 05 has the Borla ATAK Cat-Back which I love, and isn't over bearing at normal driving speeds, even being a ragtop.

I originally wanted to keep the 2019 bone stock but the itch to now do a few simple mods, (cat back & CAI).
Looking at pricing, the non-active Borla ATAK is fairly pricey, and I looked to Roush due to price-point and sound clips. While I know there is Corsa and MBRP, the Roush caught my eye, ear and wallet.

My questions are: Given this is a new system, has anyone on the forum put the Roush Cat-Back (non active) on their 5.0 S550 yet? What are your thoughts? For normal, typical driving, given I have an AT, will this over-bearing? How is the in-cabin noise levels (with windows up and AC on)?

Ironically, I pulled the trigger on the exhaust purchase this morning whilst CJ was running a special... Sort of asking the questions post-purchase here... :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Hi Everyone, I recently purchase a brand new 2019 GT/CS 10-SP-AT (non active exhaust). This is my 5th mustang over time, and I still have #3, a 2005 Red GT Convertible. The Red 05 has the Borla ATAK Cat-Back which I love, and isn't over bearing at normal driving speeds, even being a ragtop.

I originally wanted to keep the 2019 bone stock but the itch to now do a few simple mods, (cat back & CAI).
Looking at pricing, the non-active Borla ATAK is fairly pricey, and I looked to Roush due to price-point and sound clips. While I know there is Corsa and MBRP, the Roush caught my eye, ear and wallet.

My questions are: Given this is a new system, has anyone on the forum put the Roush Cat-Back (non active) on their 5.0 S550 yet? What are your thoughts? For normal, typical driving, given I have an AT, will this over-bearing? How is the in-cabin noise levels (with windows up and AC on)?

Ironically, I pulled the trigger on the exhaust purchase this morning whilst CJ was running a special... Sort of asking the questions post-purchase here... :)

Thanks!
It's been out for a while on 18+. Cold starts are gnarly loud. Quite a bit of volume and rasp. But no drone at cruising similar to Corsa but I find Corsa can be quieter when you want it to be with Roush being a bit louder at lower rpms.

But it's not nuts til you go LTH. That's a completely different story lol.

OP
OP

paul_g

It's been out for a while on 18+. Cold starts are gnarly loud. Quite a bit of volume and rasp. But no drone at cruising similar to Corsa but I find Corsa can be quieter when you want it to be with Roush being a bit louder at lower rpms.

Thanks for the input! Good info, especially no drone. I had a 2016 EB Mustang and put the MF Comp series on. While it sounded awesome, trips up to Payson, the in-cabin drone was a regret.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Thanks for the input! Good info, especially no drone. I had a 2016 EB Mustang and put the MF Comp series on. While it sounded awesome, trips up to Payson, the in-cabin drone was a regret.
No doubt. Then you went from full drone to none. Very nice change!

OP
OP

paul_g

Thank you sir! #4 - EB Mustang was quite impressive. Turbo on these high altitude canyon roads was instant power. Being a V8 guy I have to say, after a tune and some simple mods, I was highly impressed.

The Magnaflow competition sounded amazing. It was exactly what I was looking for. Deep Euro turbo sound, but the draw back, and somewhat regret, was the in-cabin experience. I sometimes said it’s equally as loud inside as is outside.

The 19 GT/CS is supposed to be a cruiser, nice trips for the Mrs and I. But as good as the stock is, the rebel needed just a bit more... :)

Sponsored

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

Thanks!
I mixed mine up a bit. Due to moving and now living in an HOA, I had to neuter my full MBRP setup. I am running MBRP LTH's with an H-pipe to the Roush active I/O axle-back.

Valves Open: Well, (remember the LTH's) cold starts are the same story... loud, and WOT hits still boisterous but not annoyingly "look at me". Cruising speeds and idle are quiet... I definitely miss the idling sound of the MBRP race, with absolutely no drone.

Valves closed: Quieter than stock in every area. The one draw back is on a cold start it has a tin can sound from the vibration but goes away after the initial pressure settles 2 seconds later.

OP
OP

paul_g

Thanks, I live in an HOA, but that won’t be an issue. It’s not a daily driver, maybe it will see 4K-6k miles per year. So cold starts aren’t an issue. I work from home so by the time I fire it up, folks will be long gone to work/school.

My main concern is a nice long ride with the Mrs..

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Thanks, I live in an HOA, but that won’t be an issue. It’s not a daily driver, maybe it will see 4K-6k miles per year. So cold starts aren’t an issue. I work from home so by the time I fire it up, folks will be long gone to work/school.

My main concern is a nice long ride with the Mrs..
I will say the Roush is a nice system, I was hesitant at first but everyone compliments the sound. As a daily driver and canyon runner, I love the versatility of the Active I/O. The other Roush active system while probably nice is 1K more... no thanks, I was wide open before so on/ off is good enough with minimally intrusive switch installation, and easy harness install.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I will say the Roush is a nice system, I was hesitant at first but everyone compliments the sound. As a daily driver and canyon runner, I love the versatility of the Active I/O. The other Roush active system while probably nice is 1K more... no thanks, I was wide open before so on/ off is good enough with minimally intrusive switch installation, and easy harness install.
Thanks for posting about it, I found it on American Muscle this weekend and showed the wife. Definitely interested, but am a little hung on which system to get.

Price tag of the nicer kit makes it a little easier to avoid, but the features definitely look neat.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Thanks for posting about it, I found it on American Muscle this weekend and showed the wife. Definitely interested, but am a little hung on which system to get.

Price tag of the nicer kit makes it a little easier to avoid, but the features definitely look neat.
You can always upgrade the module and switch later.

Sponsored

Visage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Are you saying that the Roush Lite (for cars that were originally non-active) has loud cold starts VS stock non-active exhaust even in quiet mode?
Sponsored