Sponsored

Roush Axlebacks + H-Pipe, too loud for daily driving?

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
My problem is that even if the X pipe and Roush are a tad loud, I enjoy it so much that even if I tamed it down a bit I feel like it would disappoint me. I always get compliments on the sound and it's FUN to get on the gas. I've always wanted a "loud" Mustang, ever since I watched the opening scene of "The Last American Hero" with Jeff Bridges in his black 68' GT fastback. :)

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Reading these threads, it's amazing how different everyone's opinions are. :)
For the Roush AB with X/H-Pipe combo, I've read everything from "it's only loud when I stomp on it" to "it drones and is obnoxiously loud" LOL.
It's really hard to figure it out without hearing the combination in person on the same kind of car as yours (ie if your car is an AUTO, you need to hear the exhaust on another AUTO car).
I've had the Roush AB for about 4 1/2 months now and I've also had the Mishimoto H-Pipe sitting in a box for nearly that long; well, I'm finally going to have the H-Pipe installed tomorrow! If it's too loud, I can always have them weld the resonator back in place.

I will say that the Roush on its own with the stock resonator sounds awesome and mean at lower RPMs, and just "good" at higher RPMs, so it remains to be seen how the H-Pipe will affect the sound beyond the obvious "it's louder, bro!"

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Roush AB & Magnaflow X-pipe Resonator

I think this is a good balance: :cheers:

[ame]

You tell me. ;)

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading these threads, it's amazing how different everyone's opinions are. :)
For the Roush AB with X/H-Pipe combo, I've read everything from "it's only loud when I stomp on it" to "it drones and is obnoxiously loud" LOL.
It's really hard to figure it out without hearing the combination in person on the same kind of car as yours (ie if your car is an AUTO, you need to hear the exhaust on another AUTO car).
I've had the Roush AB for about 4 1/2 months now and I've also had the Mishimoto H-Pipe sitting in a box for nearly that long; well, I'm finally going to have the H-Pipe installed tomorrow! If it's too loud, I can always have them weld the resonator back in place.

I will say that the Roush on its own with the stock resonator sounds awesome and mean at lower RPMs, and just "good" at higher RPMs, so it remains to be seen how the H-Pipe will affect the sound beyond the obvious "it's louder, bro!"
It's easy and cheap enough to replace the stock resonator if you don't like it. The only "issue" I have with the X-pipe and Roush setup is the cold starts can be loud, but to solve this I throw it in gear right away and it knocks down the sound by 50%. Other than that it sounds awesome. I remember when I first picked up my GT from the dealer, everyone was asking me to rev it when I got home, the stock exhaust was so terrible, I could see the disappointment in peoples faces after I reved it. Now when I rev my car windows shake. :D

Sponsored

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Welp, that escalated quickly. ROUSH AB + Mishimoto H-Pipe = angry beast! Lol
It's loud AF, but in the best way. I can't imagine going back to the ROUSH on its own; it's just too badass sounding. On my auto trans car, it's absolutely fine in a normal mode and absolutely crazy in Sport+, which holds the lower gears a lot longer. The main caveat is cold starts, which are completely ridiculous; if I'm ever using the car early in the morning, my neighbors will probably want me killed, but putting it in gear quickly cuts the noise dramatically. After a few minutes of running the car, the exhaust tone mellows a bit and settles into this throaty deep tone that I absolutely love. I have no idea if the exhaust will ever start to annoy me, but seeing as it's not my DD, I have a feeling it will be on my car for a looong time.
I can say with certainty that the resonator delete doubles the volume WOT, but at idle it's maybe 15-20% louder than the ROUSH AB on its own.

My muffler shop guy was really impressed with the Mishimoto part quality after initially giving me crap about installing Japanese parts on an American pony car. :D

It's easy and cheap enough to replace the stock resonator if you don't like it. The only "issue" I have with the X-pipe and Roush setup is the cold starts can be loud, but to solve this I throw it in gear right away and it knocks down the sound by 50%. Other than that it sounds awesome. I remember when I first picked up my GT from the dealer, everyone was asking me to rev it when I got home, the stock exhaust was so terrible, I could see the disappointment in peoples faces after I reved it. Now when I rev my car windows shake. :D

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
If i remember correctly, Mishimoto is based out of Delaware and all their parts are made in the US.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp, that escalated quickly. ROUSH AB + Mishimoto H-Pipe = angry beast! Lol
It's loud AF, but in the best way. I can't imagine going back to the ROUSH on its own; it's just too badass sounding. On my auto trans car, it's absolutely fine in a normal mode and absolutely crazy in Sport+, which holds the lower gears a lot longer. The main caveat is cold starts, which are completely ridiculous; if I'm ever using the car early in the morning, my neighbors will probably want me killed, but putting it in gear quickly cuts the noise dramatically. After a few minutes of running the car, the exhaust tone mellows a bit and settles into this throaty deep tone that I absolutely love. I have no idea if the exhaust will ever start to annoy me, but seeing as it's not my DD, I have a feeling it will be on my car for a looong time.
I can say with certainty that the resonator delete doubles the volume WOT, but at idle it's maybe 15-20% louder than the ROUSH AB on its own.

My muffler shop guy was really impressed with the Mishimoto part quality after initially giving me crap about installing Japanese parts on an American pony car. :D
Haha, I thought the same thing. It's LOUD, but at the same time I could never go back to just the Roush axle-back and stock resonator. It's LOUD in a good way. I have a Premium auto as well, and like you I use the selectable modes to "tune" my exhaust lol When I'm out on the road I run Sport + or Track and let it open up, and when I get closer to home I flip it to normal or rain/snow and it shifts at lower RPM's and keeps the sound down, the rain/snow mode really tames down the exhaust with the low RPM's.

Also, like TZA888 said, Mishimoto, despite its name, is an American company with American made parts, or so I believe.

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yes indeed. Took her out earlier and really let it rip on a back road straightaway near my house and damn does it sing in the upper RPMs!:headbang:

I did correct the muffler dude about Mishimoto being made in the USA, but I got the feeling he thought I was a dummy for not realizing he was being sarcastic. :doh:

Haha, I thought the same thing. It's LOUD, but at the same time I could never go back to just the Roush axle-back and stock resonator. It's LOUD in a good way. I have a Premium auto as well, and like you I use the selectable modes to "tune" my exhaust lol When I'm out on the road I run Sport + or Track and let it open up, and when I get closer to home I flip it to normal or rain/snow and it shifts at lower RPM's and keeps the sound down, the rain/snow mode really tames down the exhaust with the low RPM's.

Also, like TZA888 said, Mishimoto, despite its name, is an American company with American made parts, or so I believe.

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
One additional quick note:
I now understand what some folks have referred to as a "metallic" sound with respect to the stock resonator. I didn't notice it much as an issue prior to getting rid of the resonator, but now that it's gone, the overall tone is much nicer, without that faint tinny/metallic rasp. So, another good reason to get rid of that thing whether you keep your stock mufflers or not.

Sponsored

Sean006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem
I think this is a good balance: :cheers:

You tell me. ;)
I actually ordered this today. I think this is perfect and makes it a deeper sound.
Already shipped I'll see if I can get a clip up this weekend

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
One additional quick note:
I now understand what some folks have referred to as a "metallic" sound with respect to the stock resonator. I didn't notice it much as an issue prior to getting rid of the resonator, but now that it's gone, the overall tone is much nicer, without that faint tinny/metallic rasp. So, another good reason to get rid of that thing whether you keep your stock mufflers or not.
You can get the same effect at lower volume with the resonated X-pipe. The resonator really makes some strange tones at higher rpm.

sunny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Black on Black
Have RAB's plus Mishimoto H-Pipes on my UK GT.
Love em and she gets compliments wherever she goes, even from fellow stangers with louder numbers...

You can check out my vid i put together at time of fit.

[ame]

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hey man,
Actually it was your videos early on that got me to look seriously at the Roush AB on its own initially, then adding the H-Pipe after a few months. :D
DennisP

Have RAB's plus Mishimoto H-Pipes on my UK GT.
Love em and she gets compliments wherever she goes, even from fellow stangers with louder numbers...

You can check out my vid i put together at time of fit.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I have an update for you guys.

I mentioned before I had Roush AB's with stock reso. Changed it to FRPP xpipe. Thought it was too loud/raspy. Changed to Magnaflow tru-x (11-486). Then it was too quiet. Wife (!) asked me to reinstall x-pipe. So I did.

But there's just one difference. This time, I asked the shop to weld the x-pipe in. The clamps were too stretched out. I didn't expect this, but it sounds much meatier/less raspy now than it did before. I suspect the clamps weren't airtight and were letting sound out before it passed the AB's.
Sponsored