Sponsored

Roush Axlebacks + H-Pipe, too loud for daily driving?

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
I currently have the Roush Axlebacks on my 15 5.0, and I love them to death, but I'm really on the fence about an H-Pipe, particularly the lethal performance one.

Would this be too much for a DD? I don't want to be super obnoxious, or piss my neighbors off. Nor do I want unwanted police attention (I live in California, they're pretty strict about noise).

Should I even bother? I can't help but want a deeper, more muscle car tone, I just don't know if it'll be too much.

If it helps, my buddy has a 2014 V6 with Roush ABs, X pipe, and BBK headers, and he got a ticket for loudness.
Sponsored

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
It is loud, no doubt about it. It's the setup I have. I love it though and I daily it.

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
Imo its too loud
I prefer my ford racing catback and x pipe over buddies h pipe and roush
The FR is builtt by borla and gets almost as loud as the roush when you stomp on it

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
would depend on your neighbors tho. mine are chill and dont bother me about my set up ( roush ab xpipe) cops in cali may or may not give you a hard time. i think it becomes more of a problem after headers. i would be surprised if you had problems with just roush and h.

all that aside cold starts are almost obnoxious loud. once its warmed up tho you can stay out of the loud if you want. its pretty easy to modulate if you dont want everyone within a mile to know you are coming.

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
Yes scold starts are loud if you let it sit there and warm up. In the mornings I start the car and just idle out the garage and start in 2 or 3 gear and just coast out of the neighborhood. I have great neighbors. Some use my morning starts as a alarm clock for them. After the cold starts it's very controllable in sound. No drone on the highway or at any speed.

Sponsored

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's magic sound. Too loud really. You don't like a real muscle car sound then:frusty:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you love them already why go even louder.
With that being said I have Solo Street Race, it's loud but I love it.
Loud just makes boring DD even more fun.

Tws777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have Roush Axelback / Heartthrob H Pipe. It is extremely loud to answer your question. Probably one of the loudest setups you can have. Sounds amazing though.

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Cold starts are loud. Driving in and out of the city is fine, you won't have a problem.

OP
OP

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input, everybody! I'm thinking I might just go ahead and do it. I do love my current setup, but it isn't throaty enough for me. It's hard to gauge the sound off of youtube videos, I would need to hear it in person, and nobody near me really does any exhaust work to their V8's, nor do I know anybody else who owns a 5.0 ):

Sponsored

Fallenares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I had the roush axlebacks paired with the cjpony parts h-pipe and it was ready loud. It didn't bother me that it was loud but what I didn't like is that after 3k rpm it would sound too raspy almost embarrassing. It's would pop and crackle. It could have been the h-pipe itself but then I installed flowmasters with the h-pipe and it sound way better, but it drone. Finally changed to a Corsa sport axle back and it sound better to me than the roush, but no drone comprared to the flows. Imho I think the roush is louder than the corsa.

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Thanks for the input, everybody! I'm thinking I might just go ahead and do it. I do love my current setup, but it isn't throaty enough for me. It's hard to gauge the sound off of youtube videos, I would need to hear it in person, and nobody near me really does any exhaust work to their V8's, nor do I know anybody else who owns a 5.0 ):
If you're ever in the GTA area, let me know. I had the same concerns you did, and I just went for it. Absolutely no regrets on my side for this setup, I really wish I had done it sooner.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Have you thought about the resonated X-pipe? Louder than the stock resonator but not too much. It gave me very close to the Corsa Xtreme sound at a lower volume with my sport axleback.

OP
OP

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you thought about the resonated X-pipe? Louder than the stock resonator but not too much. It gave me very close to the Corsa Xtreme sound at a lower volume with my sport axleback.
Any recommendations? I hadn't even considered this honestly...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations? I hadn't even considered this honestly...
It gives the car a much more throaty tone, and smoother at the top end too (gets rid of the flat/farty sound of the resonator at 4500+ rpm). I had mine welded in literally days before this came out, and it can be done cheaper that way, but in your position I would get this:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80029

For the first 100-150 miles it'll be about the same volume as the resonator and then it'll wake up as it "burns in". Mine is now definitely louder but still not over the top like a regular X pipe would be.

Here's before and after video links between the factory resonator and this resonated X-pipe with the Corsa Sport AB. I've set them to start at the best comparison time:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1786672&postcount=109
Sponsored