Roush Axle back Drone v6 2015

Moyocay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moises
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
I have a 2015 v6 only mod is the Roush AB. Everything else stock. It drones a lot. I love the sound and the loudness of it, so changing setup isn’t an option for me. But while cruising on highways it gets very annoying. It feels like a sub-woof blasting medium to high level. It rattles my whole cabin just like when the space ship lands while watching a movie in a theater. I live outside US so i cant refund, i need to fix the issue. I was wondering if somehow i could fix this by a Res delete with an x-pipe/h-pipe. I’ve also heard about hemzholt res (capped empty tubes with variable lenght). Thanks in advance.

I’m also thinking about doing a res delete (x pipe/h pipe), will that help with the issue? It drones in between 1.5k-2k rpm
Sponsored

Last edited:

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Do Not delete your resonator, or replace your resonator with x or h pipe. You will make you issue even worse. If you replace it with x or h pipe you’ll add raspiness to the exhaust note. If you’re adamant about keeping your Roush axlebacks, I’d recommend swapping gears, maybe 3.55 or 3.73 that way at cruising speed your rpm will be higher and out of droning range.
Take note of what rpm range your droning is worse, and then you can ask ppl with 3.55 or 3.73 gears what’s their rpm is at say 75mph and then see if you change gears, you’d end up out of droning range with which set of gears

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same set up. I do believe they have less drone after some break in miles, although they never were obnoxious. Only time they bothered me was accelerating in high gear. Are yours new? I have 15k miles on mine and love 'em.

OP
OP

Moyocay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moises
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
Do Not delete your resonator, or replace your resonator with x or h pipe. You will make you issue even worse. If you replace it with x or h pipe you’ll add raspiness to the exhaust note. If you’re adamant about keeping your Roush axlebacks, I’d recommend swapping gears, maybe 3.55 or 3.73 that way at cruising speed your rpm will be higher and out of droning range.
Take note of what rpm range your droning is worse, and then you can ask ppl with 3.55 or 3.73 gears what’s their rpm is at say 75mph and then see if you change gears, you’d end up out of droning range with which set of gears
I do not mind noise overall. I’m only worried by drone (the ear-rape). I saw a video with a guy who did the res delete h pipe and said that the little drone he had (my case) was gone with the res delete. Does changing gears mean dropping the tranny? That sounds expensive

Also i’ve heard about adding a hemtzholt res (capped of j pipe) which on some calculations gives you the lenght to cancel drone on specific rpm. Never tried it. Maybe it works? I calculated mine and came out to be almost 1 meter.

I just want a little bit louder tone without the drone issue. I have friends with corvettes straight piped loud as hell without the drone. :sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Moyocay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moises
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
I have the same set up. I do believe they have less drone after some break in miles, although they never were obnoxious. Only time they bothered me was accelerating in high gear. Are yours new? I have 15k miles on mine and love 'em.
I have les than 5k on them. I really love the sound, but i wish i could minimize drone a little more. Also, i installed dymat padding on my trunk. But still drones a little

Sponsored

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
The Roush Drone is very hard to get rid of And very annoying. I basically tried everything. BBK shorties, Dyna mat in the trunk. Installed a sound deadening board on the back seat. And then swapped the rear end to 3:55. The rear end exchange made the biggest difference.
I have had the 3:55 rear end for about 2 years now and cruising at 65-75 no more drone.

OP
OP

Moyocay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moises
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
The Roush Drone is very hard to get rid of And very annoying. I basically tried everything. BBK shorties, Dyna mat in the trunk. Installed a sound deadening board on the back seat. And then swapped the rear end to 3:55. The rear end exchange made the biggest difference.
I have had the 3:55 rear end for about 2 years now and cruising at 65-75 no more drone.
What did they do? Dropped the dif? How long did it take? How much for the new gears?

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Replace the complete diff. I found a complete Aluminum 3:55 off a member here in the classifieds With 10,000 miles. Had the dealer inspect it and replace seals and fluids. My Dealer charged $500. But had a few other things done too. Total invested about $800. Probably took a day. I was on vacation so was in no rush. My dealer Lebanon Performance does allot of custom builds for customers. So they are familiar with these types of builds.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I have a 2015 v6 only mod is the Roush AB. Everything else stock. It drones a lot. I love the sound and the loudness of it, so changing setup isn’t an option for me. But while cruising on highways it gets very annoying. It feels like a sub-woof blasting medium to high level. It rattles my whole cabin just like when the space ship lands while watching a movie in a theater. I live outside US so i cant refund, i need to fix the issue. I was wondering if somehow i could fix this by a Res delete with an x-pipe/h-pipe. I’ve also heard about hemzholt res (capped empty tubes with variable lenght). Thanks in advance.

I’m also thinking about doing a res delete (x pipe/h pipe), will that help with the issue? It drones in between 1.5k-2k rpm
You need some resonators to get rid of the drone. We sell Vibrant here at www.lethalperformance.com.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Add a tru-x and yes...do this by deleting the stock resonator. If this doesn't help, which it should, plug in some vibrant resonators after the tru-x. J-pipes work too. My current exhaust is a deleted stock resonator with tru-x style x-pipe, with the solo performance muffler delete system (has j-pipes) at the back end. I have virtually zero drone. It is literally a tru-x pipe with a muffler delete.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

It's interesting how these things work. I have a Roush AB on my '19 GT and it does not drone. When I had my V6 I avoided the Roush because I read about others experiencing drone with it. However, the severity you describe (rattling the whole cabin, etc.) seems worse than what others have reported. That's what people typically say about Flowmaster Outlaws. :)

OP
OP

Moyocay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moises
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
Add a tru-x and yes...do this by deleting the stock resonator. If this doesn't help, which it should, plug in some vibrant resonators after the tru-x. J-pipes work too. My current exhaust is a deleted stock resonator with tru-x style x-pipe, with the solo performance muffler delete system (has j-pipes) at the back end. I have virtually zero drone. It is literally a tru-x pipe with a muffler delete.
Ok thanks, should any universal x-pipe work or should i get a specific brand? They vary slightly in shape/lenght

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Ok thanks, should any universal x-pipe work or should i get a specific brand? They vary slightly in shape/lenght
I am not sure you understand what I am saying. Not a straight up X-Pipe. Here is a link to what I'm talking about.

https://www.etrailer.com/Performance-Mufflers/MagnaFlow/MF12469.html

Its a muffler style "x-pipe". There is some knock off versions on eBay i.e. Jones Exhaust (the one I use). Basically, it is a muffler with an x-pipe flow design inside the muffler. This design is what helps eliminate drone and allow a deep throaty growl without high end rasp. Its actually quite impressive. Once the muffler breaks in it just rips. Everyone who is around or rides in my car absolutely loves the exhaust note. This muffler replaces the stock resonator. Then from the muffle it's just straight pipes to tips. If you dislike the exhaust or get drone then add some mini-bullet style resonators somewhere behind the muffler.

OP
OP

Moyocay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moises
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
I am not sure you understand what I am saying. Not a straight up X-Pipe. Here is a link to what I'm talking about.

https://www.etrailer.com/Performance-Mufflers/MagnaFlow/MF12469.html

Its a muffler style "x-pipe". There is some knock off versions on eBay i.e. Jones Exhaust (the one I use). Basically, it is a muffler with an x-pipe flow design inside the muffler. This design is what helps eliminate drone and allow a deep throaty growl without high end rasp. Its actually quite impressive. Once the muffler breaks in it just rips. Everyone who is around or rides in my car absolutely loves the exhaust note. This muffler replaces the stock resonator. Then from the muffle it's just straight pipes to tips. If you dislike the exhaust or get drone then add some mini-bullet style resonators somewhere behind the muffler.
Okay, do you have any sound clips of your setup? I don't mind loudness overall, it's just the cabin resonation (Ear-rappe).
Sponsored