Roush 727 Phase 2 Durability

Discussion in 'Forced Induction - 5.0L V8 Engine' started by hossman, Feb 16, 2018.

1. hossman

hossman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Roushcharged 727
    0   0   0
    How are your 727 Phase 2 15-17 Mustangs holding up? Are they trouble free? Are you loving it? Might be diving back into the Mustang market.

2. WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog WOOF!!!

Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT PP
    0   0   0
    Well, I have the Phase 1, but I'm putting out the same HP as a Phase 2. (Fuel pump booster, headers, IAT 2, Lund tune, 93 octane, etc.). I have no complaints, or issues. Drives smooth, no overheating, no surging throughout the rpm range, idles perfect and never had a problem. Ever.

3. OP
    OP
    hossman

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Thanks for your reply. I was concerned about durability since it bolts on to the factory set up without upgrades.

4. WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog WOOF!!!

Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT PP
    0   0   0
    Nah, no problems at all. I never had the Roush tune just for the record, and I added a 170 degree thermostat. It sure wouldn't hurt to do that.

5. sy1462

sy1462 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    No issues with mine yet, but not a lot of miles. I ran the Roush tune for a bit, then switched to VMP. The Roush tune was fine for me but the VMP 93 tune feels significantly stronger (no dyno before/after). I'm happy with it so far.

6. WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog WOOF!!!

Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT PP
    0   0   0
    I'm sure it's quite stronger. That's why I never bothered with the Roush tune, always read and heard it was pretty conservative. From what I hear, the VMP tune is spot on.

7. OP
    OP
    hossman

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Are you guys running 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73’s? I would figure 3.31’s would be the best for this set up. Are half shaft upgrades required for street purpose with occasional blasts?

8. WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog WOOF!!!

Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT PP
    0   0   0
    I would say yes, your 3.31's would be better for a supercharger set-up. I have 3.73's but I don't mind them at all. Half shafts, yes, without a doubt if you wanna hit it good every now and then out of the hole. I changed my half shafts and I don't even take it to a strip or hammer on it every chance I get.

9. BoostedBen

BoostedBen Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
    0   0   0
    I guess it depends on what you want the car setup for. I have a MT w/ 3.73's and it's a blast on the street, and I feel an absolute monster from a 50 roll, but I know it's not the most optimal for the 1/4 mile track.

I'm not worried about my half shafts, I've heard mixed feelings on it though. If anything, save that money for a good set of radials and eventually an upgraded clutch.

10. cdq85

cdq85 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Boostey Pants
    0   0   0
    15K miles with phase 2. It's a DD except for snowy/icy days. VMP tuned and it's been great so far.

11. cdq85

cdq85 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Boostey Pants
    0   0   0
    I have 3.73 that come with the PP. If I was doing half mile events or drag racing this car, then I would have already went to at least the 3.55's but for just using it as a street car, I like the 3.73's since I get to row gears more. The half shafts will most likely only be necessary if you are launching a lot from a stop. If you are just hitting it from 2nd and 3rd gear, you should be ok (doesn't mean stuff can't happen though).

NightParade likes this.
  12. sy1462

sy1462 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    From what VMP says and what I know after looking at the logs they do look spot on. The weather started turning on me about the time I got the final version so I really need more data... but first few datalogged runs look very good. Maybe someday it will be warm here again and the roads won't be covered in salt/sand.

Mine has 3.55's with an A/T. I haven't driven the 3.73 or 3.31's so I don't know if I would like either of them better, but the 3.55's see like a good fit for this combination.

Still stock halfshafts on mine. I am planning on several suspension upgrades this year so I may do them then for peace of mind like the OPG/CS gears.

13. Boduke0220

Boduke0220 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT PP
    0   0   0
    My vmp kit has been flawless. 20k miles and not a hiccup

14. stavelystangs

stavelystangs Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Black Mustang Gt Roushcharged
    0   0   0
    I'm running the phase 2, Roush tune. I don't have any issues at all, other than a small backfire when letting off the gas while costing up to a red light. air fuel goes to 10.5 and then back up to 14. gets a little rich. runs great on the street with plenty of power when needed, if you can hook below 60.