Rough transmission shifts

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
I have a TRD Sport 4x4 with about 2,200 miles now. When I first start in the morning the shift is not that smooth, specially when I’m at a stop/light and press on the gas, the from zero start is pretty hard. I have not heard any clunk or anything like that but you can really feel the shift, but once is up to speed of more than 20-25 mpg the shifts are very smooth. Also when slowing down at times I feel a slight flutter. Another thing I’m noticing is a subtle whining noise when it shift specifically when the windows are up.

Not sure if the transmission needs more breaking in or learning. At this point the stop and go traffic is not making me enjoy it as much.

Are any of you experiencing anything remotely as close as I am? Thanks.
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I haven't noticed shifts while driving, but mine is jerky when going from reverse or park to drive. You definitely lurch forward or backward when it engages in gear.

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
I haven't noticed shifts while driving, but mine is jerky when going from reverse or park to drive. You definitely lurch forward or backward when it engages in gear.
Yes I forgot to mention that too. Same here

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
Same here, cold starts but after the first few shifts it's fine. I just warm up the truck a few minutes before I leave and i haven't had that problem.

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I felt the same way . Going from stop shifting first 2 gears were not good experience but now i have realized that more faster i try to shift more jery it gets so just shift slow . Truck does like shifting fast specially in first 2 gears . I just go easy and slow in start and once i am in 3rd then i can easily go fast and shift

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR% 4dr 4x4, 2003 4Runner SR5 4x4
I have a TRD Sport 4x4 with about 2,200 miles now. When I first start in the morning the shift is not that smooth, specially when I’m at a stop/light and press on the gas, the from zero start is pretty hard. I have not heard any clunk or anything like that but you can really feel the shift, but once is up to speed of more than 20-25 mpg the shifts are very smooth. Also when slowing down at times I feel a slight flutter. Another thing I’m noticing is a subtle whining noise when it shift specifically when the windows are up.

Not sure if the transmission needs more breaking in or learning. At this point the stop and go traffic is not making me enjoy it as much.

Are any of you experiencing anything remotely as close as I am? Thanks.
I have 989 miles on my 2024 SR5 4x4 and it is sitting in the dealer lot waiting for the new transmission to arrive. Back to driving my gen 4 2003 SR5 4Runner which has been a daily staple for 21 years

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Would anyone like to clarify if you’re talking about the Auto or Manual Tranny?

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
I have 989 miles on my 2024 SR5 4x4 and it is sitting in the dealer lot waiting for the new transmission to arrive. Back to driving my gen 4 2003 SR5 4Runner which has been a daily staple for 21 years
This is crazy, I hope they get it fix soon for you.

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got word they are replacing the complete transmission and we have an ETA of 4-5 weeks before arriving. Thankful for the warranty. This is the first issue of this type that my local dealer has seen.

Toy-truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Just got word they are replacing the complete transmission and we have an ETA of 4-5 weeks before arriving. Thankful for the warranty. This is the first issue of this type that my local dealer has seen.
What did you experience with the truck to make you take it to the dealer? What did the dealership said is wrong with the transmission? I am just trying to find out as much information on this issue as possible. I am just hoping that this is not the same issue as the 3rd generation Tundra had.

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
That is good news. Were they specific as to what the issue was?

mcrwlrpro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2016 Lexus ES 350
What happened to it?

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you experience with the truck to make you take it to the dealer? What did the dealership said is wrong with the transmission? I am just trying to find out as much information on this issue as possible. I am just hoping that this is not the same issue as the 3rd generation Tundra had.
There was no indicators. Accelerating to pull into traffic, maybe 3-5 seconds into acceleration the RPM's increased but vehicle slowed and I knew we had a problem. I was able to nurse it back to my parking lot. I even attempted to manual shift into gear but it would not allow the trans to go below 6th gear. Reverse worked fine and I was able to back the vehicle into position so roadside assistance could come and pick it up. My local dealer through there process eliminated electronic issues and they were told by Toyota to replace trans assembly. Working with Toyota now as the ETA has been extended to late July before a trans is available.
Sponsored