samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
20190324_142037.jpg

So, I picked up the PP2 from Benny at Levittown Ford back in Jan. Finally got around to having it installed this past Friday. While it looks like a simple install, I was not comfortable with the tune portion. I've never done it before, just didn't want to mess with it.

First thing I noticed was that with the sound tube removed, the cabin noise was gone and all I heard was the sweet exhaust sound. Huge improvement right there. So far, only really driven it in normal mode. The throttle response is impressive. Neck snapping rolls at 20-30 mph in 2nd gear.

As far as the NLS, it's a non-issue. I'm not a big drag racer anymore. Just spirited driving around the highways and back roads. I haven't had a stutter issue or any other issue shifting.

The car is so much more fun to drive. Not that it was bad before, it just feels so much more responsive.

I have noticed that the tires do want to break loose a litte more. Not that that's a bad thing :like:

If anyone is on the fence, go for it. It's an absolute blast.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in the PP2.
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Always good to see these quick reviews...I'm almost at the point of pulling the trigger on this.

How does "normal driving" compare? When i'm not in a mood to drive in a spirited fashion and just pootling around town - or gentle driving, I find the gear box a little clunky/jerky (as many do), curious to know if there is any difference in that area - good or bad? I would imagine the throttle response may have an impact on that?

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I assume this is the Ford PP2, Rousch also sell theirs too
Nice review, warranty and another 20RW not bad

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I just got mine yesterday in the mail. going to install this weekend.

Sound tube already ripped out! Actually didn't cause that much headache as some people experienced. mine came out fairly easy with a good tug.

How about intake noise do you notice any difference in sound? My Si has a K&N Short-ram intake I just installed. it sounds really amazing even if there is little to no power gain. Very aggressive and quite louder than stock.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Kristain87, "Normal" driving mode is what I've been driving in. I haven't had any issue wih clunky/jerky shifts (othre than operator error ones). One of main concerns was how it was going to drive when my wife drove it. She'll have no issue at all with the shifting. It has been many years since I drove a manual on a regular basis, and getting back to smooth as silk shifting has taken a minute or two. Throttle response might be some of it, for me though, it's more of my eagerness to let 'er rip and not just get used to driving a stick.

Stymee, my bad. I should have said Ford PP2. What is a 20RW?

Monoploy, I went from everything bone stock, to the cat-back for two weeks and then the FRPP 2. I only got to drive the car a handful of times with the cat-back (sound tube was still in place). While I loved the sound, and didn't hear any drone, everytime I got out it seemed like I had a small headache. After the sound tube was removed, that issue went away, so far anyways, as I've only had a chance to drive it a couple of times. Sitting at the stoplight, no real intake or exhaust noise. Step on the fun pedal, and there is some intake noise, but more so the exhaust than anything I've noticed. But this point, I'm so freakin happy to driving it, I'm not really paying that much attention. Too busy smiling and trying to pull of my take your pick Jeff Gordon / John Force / Mario Andretti moves!

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Great thanks for the reply! So not much of a difference it seems like. Maybe due to the engine bay being so long and the intake placed close to front you don't notice it as much. Si's the intake is close to the firewall and you can really hear that badboy scream!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
How does "normal driving" compare? When i'm not in a mood to drive in a spirited fashion and just pootling around town - or gentle driving, I find the gear box a little clunky/jerky (as many do), curious to know if there is any difference in that area - good or bad? I would imagine the throttle response may have an impact on that?
The car drives 100% like stock, and that includes all the clunky/jerky symptoms as you describe. That is the nature of the driveline itself, and nothing that a tune will change whether for good or bad. You can't tune out sloppy driveline and crappy transmission design.

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the review. Mine's in the mail and can't wait to install it. My car has been feeling slow.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The car drives 100% like stock, and that includes all the clunky/jerky symptoms as you describe. That is the nature of the driveline itself, and nothing that a tune will change whether for good or bad. You can't tune out sloppy driveline and crappy transmission design.
As long as it doesn’t get worse, then that sits well with me :sunglasses:

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
As long as it doesn’t get worse, then that sits well with me :sunglasses:
It didn't get worse for me. I really enjoy it. I sometimes don't shift as smooth as I would like to, but most of the time it's just me in the car, so if I blow the shift, no one knows! I have realy enjoyed the car and the improved power so far. Hopefully we'll be road tripping in it next month.

Sponsored
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review. Mine's in the mail and can't wait to install it. My car has been feeling slow.
You feel slow for long!

2015V6Fla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Premium MT6
I've had mine installed for a few months now and am quite pleased with it. The throttle response is snappier and the power delivery (naturally aspirated) seems smoother. The physical installation of everything was quite easy, but it took me a couple tries to fully execute the tune. Part of it was user error and part of it was a relatively weak wi-fi signal for the laptop. Overall installation was in the 3-4 hour range because of the hiccup with the tune.
I also installed a Bassani cat-back system at the same time and the car sounds outrageously good, in my opinion. My fuel economy is hovering in the 17.2-17.5mpg range running Premium fuel as required by the tune. That's primarily in-town driving with an occasional interstate jaunt, so I'm fine with what I'm getting.
I am happy with the purchase and recommend it as an easy, effective upgrade. The quality of the parts is top notch and everything fits like it's supposed to.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
You're getting 17+ MPG?! I'm at 15 at best.

I agree, it is an absolute must install. So much more fun to drive.

Installing the tune is what made me nervous. I've had some issues with electronics/computers in the newer cars so I passed on doing the install myself.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
So you didn't flash the tune for the larger throttle body? ...or did you have somebody else do it?

I regularly get 20.0 mpg with mine, but that's mostly highway with a little stop & go in town. Straight highway I can still squeek out 25.0.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Someone else did the install. We ended up blowing a clockspring in the stcolumn of my son's Chrysler 300 installing new deck lid speakers. How the hell happened,i have no idea, but appearntly its an issue if tap into the radio. Therefore, any electronic/computer stuff, I no longer do. My milage has actually improved slightly since the install, although, it's only been about a half tank so far. I'll keep an eye on it, but it probably has something to do with my right foot. Just sayin.
Sponsored