Sponsored

Roof on s550 is going opaque, do I have a wrap or painted roof?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yup true statement. MustangJoe pulled the sticker for me and sure enough its not factory installed. I also had a buddy that does car detailing take quick look at it, and he saids its a shitty paint job. I will get it evaluated by a shop and more than likely have it repainted if it is indeed paint.
It’s easy work for a decent body shop. Don’t fret over it too much
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Yup true statement. MustangJoe pulled the sticker for me and sure enough its not factory installed. I also had a buddy that does car detailing take quick look at it, and he saids its a shitty paint job. I will get it evaluated by a shop and more than likely have it repainted if it is indeed paint.
Well that sucks. Don’t know why the previous owner chose to paint it though when a wrap would’ve looked the same, been cheaper, and reversible.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Well that sucks. Don’t know why the previous owner chose to paint it though when a wrap would’ve looked the same, been cheaper, and reversible.
If I really wanted it I’d do paint. Looks nicer if it’s a quality job. I don’t really like vinyl

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
well the car was originally bought from Galpin Ford I believe, knowing them, Its very likely they did a cheap dealer add on paint job to make it cooler, haha.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The general cost for the roof being painted, professionally by good shop is about 1000 bucks is what I read. which I believe is what ford charges as well

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a £500 option in the U.K. (approx $700) :like:

WD :like:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a £500 option in the U.K. (approx $700) :like:

Not unreasonably far off. so lets say 700low end, 1000higher end price point.
I wouldn't look at anyone doing it much less than that though. properly anyway or you get OP situation

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I don’t know how the prices compare U.K. to USA but as a comparison, ford charge us up to £850 for the body colour and then £500 for the black roof. So on top of the free colours, I had to pay Ford £1350 (approx $1900) for the lime / black combo ... :frown:

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I really wanted it I’d do paint. Looks nicer if it’s a quality job. I don’t really like vinyl
that’s true but it’s easier to reverse a wrap as it’s just a matter of peeling it off and honestly a high quality wrap can look as good as paint. On my personal car I would wrap rather than paint in case I ever go to sell the car and the new owner doesn’t like it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
that’s true but it’s easier to reverse a wrap as it’s just a matter of peeling it off and honestly a high quality wrap can look as good as paint. On my personal car I would wrap rather than paint in case I ever go to sell the car and the new owner doesn’t like it.
downfall- vinyl black, is going to heat the roof up a LOT. that is going to damage the paint overtime, especially in texas/florida type environments.

Vinyl over years, will block fading, so the hood and trunk, in theory wouldn't match the roof if you removed the vinyl.

if I wanted black roof, id paint it. maybe black vinyl it to see if I liked it, but the real solution is paint.

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
downfall- vinyl black, is going to heat the roof up a LOT. that is going to damage the paint overtime, especially in texas/florida type environments.

Vinyl over years, will block fading, so the hood and trunk, in theory wouldn't match the roof if you removed the vinyl.

if I wanted black roof, id paint it. maybe black vinyl it to see if I liked it, but the real solution is paint.
I agree paint is better. My car even though it’s a Florida car sleeps in the garage so the sun has no effect on fade although I assume there may still be a shade difference if left on for a long period of time. Everyone has different situations though and that’s why both paint and vinyl exist .

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I agree paint is better. My car even though it’s a Florida car sleeps in the garage so the sun has no effect on fade although I assume there may still be a shade difference if left on for a long period of time. Everyone has different situations though and that’s why both paint and vinyl exist .
but, if it did damage the paint long term, and they wanted it, no big deal. they could pull vinyl off and just get it painted. lol

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Yea 1000 doesn't sound far off, I don't really mind it, I treat it as a "project" car that needs some buttoning up. I am debating if I should just go back to factory LB. Hopefully the other panels didn't fade too much, the rest of the car needs a detail and paint correction anyways, it should fix it up fine.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yea 1000 doesn't sound far off, I don't really mind it, I treat it as a "project" car that needs some buttoning up. I am debating if I should just go back to factory LB. Hopefully the other panels didn't fade too much, the rest of the car needs a detail and paint correction anyways, it should fix it up fine.
Go black. To go blue they’d have to blend, and such... I see it being easier going black. Than trying to paint blue and then having to blend may not look perfect
Sponsored