Sponsored

roll cage on 9.99 and faster?

16silverbullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ive read what the NHRA rule book says but, i really don't want to cut into my dash for an 8 point cage. Are your tracks enforcing these rules, any suggestions?
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Yes. My local track has kicked me off 3 times now for going over 135mph (same rules for 9.99). I keep telling them it is my pump gas, stock tire, daily driver....They do not care, lol. I am not putting a cage in, a bar I would.

OP
OP

16silverbullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes. My local track has kicked me off 3 times now for going over 135mph (same rules for 9.99). I keep telling them it is my pump gas, stock tire, daily driver....They do not care, lol. I am not putting a cage in, a bar I would.

I see so many videos of cars going 9's and not having any cage. I would happily do a 6 point. One inspector told me to trip the beam wait 3 seconds and then hit it.

Here is an example
[ame]

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
It all depends on the track whether they will enforce the rules or not.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Having witnessed several nasty wrecks, and a few fatalities why wouldn't you want the proper safety equipment in place???

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
There is no way you can convince me on a street car, it is safer to drive around with a metal cage, than airbags. Those NHRA rules were made for old technology, no crash zone, no airbag equipped cars.

OP
OP

16silverbullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was wondering the same thing about the airbags. I have full intentions on caging my car in the future. I see lots of people running 9s with no cages so I'm just wondering. Tomorrow is race day and i just installed twin 62mm turbos so i will see how it goes.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Our local tracks enforce the rollbar and rollcage rules very tightly.

Ford vehicles built in the last ten plus years have what Ford calls "safety cell construction." While not a "rollbar", it emulates one pretty well by diverting crash forces above, below, and around the passenger compartment.

OP
OP

16silverbullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Our local tracks enforce the rollbar and rollcage rules very tightly.

Ford vehicles built in the last ten plus years have what Ford calls "safety cell construction." While not a "rollbar", it emulates one pretty well by diverting crash forces above, below, and around the passenger compartment.
I see your from Pacific NW, so is that pacific raceway in Kent?

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
We have a 9 second shop car that runs at Atco once in a while. That makes a circuit of all the northeast tracks. That way he's never at the same track more than once a year. He told me he gets kicked out of each track. But gets a few runs in before he gets pitched usually.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I see your from Pacific NW, so is that pacific raceway in Kent?
I run at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA and Bremerton Raceway in Port Orchard, WA. Both are sticklers for enforcing the NHRA rule book.

Looks like you're in Olympia. Have you had a chance to run your '16 at either track? Are you modded to the point where you'll need a rollbar or rollcage yet?

I stopped modding my '14 GT once I ran an 11.51 & 11.52 back to back. At 11.49 and quicker I'd need a 6 pt rollbar and I'm not ready to give up the back seat in the car just yet.

OP
OP

16silverbullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I run at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA and Bremerton Raceway in Port Orchard, WA. Both are sticklers for enforcing the NHRA rule book.

Looks like you're in Olympia. Have you had a chance to run your '16 at either track? Are you modded to the point where you'll need a rollbar or rollcage yet?

I stopped modding my '14 GT once I ran an 11.51 & 11.52 back to back. At 11.49 and quicker I'd need a 6 pt rollbar and I'm not ready to give up the back seat in the car just yet.
I raced Bremerton before, now I have twin 62s and other stuff. If i grip it should run high 9s.

Prbarnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 tuned f150 ecoboost, 2015 gt premium auto
16silverbullet congrats on the twins, have u had any heat issues with that kit?

OP
OP

16silverbullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
16silverbullet congrats on the twins, have u had any heat issues with that kit?

Thanks, no real heat issues, 140 was the highest i saw for IATs. That was on a warm day, 7600rpm, 3rd gear, after doing numerous pulls. Usually the highest i see is 130.
Sponsored