Sponsored

Rock chips in front of rear wheel. Suggestions.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So the area in front of the rear wheel has been getting hammered by rocks. The issue is I cant figure out why. I had a few there and I figured the front wheels were flinging rocks. So I bought some RokBlokz and put them on. Seems to made it worse. My Front wheel is set in about a inch or so behind the fender flair and when sitting in a straight line there is no tire showing at all that would allow for it to fling rocks up the side of the car. I have searched the internet for some film like xpel that is maybe pre cut for that area but have had no luck I think maybe im doing the searches wrong or no one makes it for that area. But I am at a loose as to how the chips are even happening as none of my front wheel is exposed to allow for the flinging up of rovks to start with. And now with the RokBlokz there is a good inch or so "shield" to stop any rocks so not sure how it got worse.

Basically I guess is anyone knows of any precut film for these areas. Getting someone to do it around here is just retarded expensive so just want to find some pre cut pieces to do myself if anyone knows any. And also those with RokBlokz, anyone else have their chips get worse after installing? Its a total mystery to me.
Two pictures. One of the area IM trying to protect and one of the chips. Cars not barely a year old and its getting hammered. OH i pick I park on gravel but drive slowly on it and thats only time im on gravel.
Screenshot_18.jpg

20200917_190305.jpg
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I put RokBloks on about 1 & 1/2 years now and had PPF installed on bottom rear quarter panels (behind rear wheels) and I try to avoid gravel roads or gravel parking lots at all costs. I don’t have any damage like you have. Do you have super sticky tires?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I put RokBloks on about 1 & 1/2 years now and had PPF installed on bottom rear quarter panels (behind rear wheels) and I try to avoid gravel roads or parking lots at all costs. I don’t have any damage like you have. Do you have super sticky tires?
I just have the p zero regular tires on front. Ill have to take a picture but if you look dont the side of the car you cant even see my front tires they are completely inside the tire well and then have the added rokBlokz. Any rock would be either thrown under the car or would hit the RokBlokz. How they are even making it dont the side of the car to that specific spot is a mystery. But other then my drive way,which is short, I dont drive on gravel roads. I thought maybe my rear tires somehow were flinging rocks forward? but that makes no sense as centrifugal force would fling the rocks off way before the forward rotation. Bu tthe real confusion is was in the 8 months before I put rokBlokz on I have 4 or 5 chips. Since I now have tons as you can see. It makes no sense to me at all.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
You need the jaeger brothers splash guards in addition to the Xpel rear impact kit. I would recommend the rocker kit as well. How it happens? Who knows but that area is prone to chips on the s550. Could even happen when you are turning

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You need the jaeger brothers splash guards in addition to the Xpel rear impact kit. I would recommend the rocker kit as well. How it happens? Who knows but that area is prone to chips on the s550. Could even happen when you are turning
I thought of when I am tuning but I figure the angle of the wheel would throw the rocks away form the car not toward it. Ill look into those kits. Thanks. Edit. can you point me ot the xpel kit you mentioned? I cant seem to find it.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at the rear wheel right?

Have you driven by one of those clowns with the back pack blower lately ? Also seen in store parking lots .. On the look out when I drive for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Have you driven by one of those clowns with the back pack blower lately ? Also seen in store parking lots .. On the look out when I drive for them.
OH god no I stay away from them and also the jackwagons with thier grass shield taken off blowing all the crap straight out into the road.. But it has to be rocks being thrown up cause its on both sides in the same places. I just dont know how cause the wheels are totally guarded and rocks should hit the inside of the well or the rokblokz. Only other thing I can figure is its rocks being kicked up by other cars and the areo around the car just directs it toward that spot? This is one of the reasons I didnt want a dark colored car but I kinda had no choice for the deal I got. Every little thing stands out like a sore thumb.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm .............. could be how close do you run up to the car head. Not driving behind dump or gravel trucks, or a land scaper ?

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hmm .............. could be how close do you run up to the car head. Not driving behind dump or gravel trucks, or a land scaper ?
No no I avoid any thing that has a trailer , towing any equipment, lawn service trucks dump trucks and the like.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think Clearplastic makes a film you can self install in that area. I've never tried it, so don't know how easy that self install is. When I had my xpel paint protection put on, I had them cover that area also, and had them do the leading edge of the roof, in addition to the full front end and hood.

Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have one small chip in the center of the area you circled in your first picture. More than likely done by the front tire throwing debris when turning.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I hade up to the crease covered with a custom xpel piece and the lower portion of the doors as well as behind the rear wheels. I coould see in the film that they hade taken some blows but the paint was still in pristine condition.

additionally I had the whole front, a-pillars, part of the roof, behind the door handles protected with XPEL. Being an OCD type of guy it was golden for me

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I feel ya OP. When I bought my car I noticed this almost immediately. I went and had some custom xpel PPF installed in that location, as well as behind the front and rear wheels. I can see where the film has been hit, but really saved the paint. The xpel self heals as well, as long as the damage isn’t too bad. Wish I had it done on the door as well. I usually try to avoid gravel as much as possible, and certainly try not to make high speed runs unless my wheels are straight.

This is the whole reason why I’m hesitating to put wider tries up front, or even space them out. I’d rather not have the side of the car sandblasted.
I’m considering installing some of the side rocker splitters up front like in the 2020 GT500. Anyone have experience with these? Worth it?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mp-concepts-mustang-gt500-style-side-rocker-splitters-408768.html

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I feel ya OP. When I bought my car I noticed this almost immediately. I went and had some custom xpel PPF installed in that location, as well as behind the front and rear wheels. I can see where the film has been hit, but really saved the paint. The xpel self heals as well, as long as the damage isn’t too bad. Wish I had it done on the door as well. I usually try to avoid gravel as much as possible, and certainly try not to make high speed runs unless my wheels are straight.

This is the whole reason why I’m hesitating to put wider tries up front, or even space them out. I’d rather not have the side of the car sandblasted.
I’m considering installing some of the side rocker splitters up front like in the 2020 GT500. Anyone have experience with these? Worth it?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mp-concepts-mustang-gt500-style-side-rocker-splitters-408768.html
Thanks yeah is strange im not getting any chips or dings behind the wheels at all or anywhere else n the car just that little triangle area on both sides. My wheels are blocked and dont stick out past fenders (on front) so that is why im confused on how this is happening.
Sponsored