Sponsored

Rock chips in front of rear wheel. Suggestions.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
i am having issue at same spot on my car. I couldn’t figure out either why it was happening and on mine it’s mostly on driver side.
I went out and looked at mine again and yes mines mostly on drivers side too. Weird
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
XPEL PPF. You can buy pre-cut sheets for this area. They have nearly every section available as separate pieces. More expensive than the Anchor room stuff. But by god I swear this PPF is magic shit. Like having a force field on your car. I think this could be installed by yourself due to the simple contours. Just watch some youtube videos.
https://www.xpel.com/Rear-Wheel-Impact-Area-Kit-ULTIMATE-PLUS_112

The first thing I installed after I drove home were those Rokbloks front and back. I considered PPF in this area but after looking down the side to the car after the flaps were installed, I figured the Rokbloks would provide the protection I wanted. I have zero rock chips last time I looked. I stay off of any type of gravel. I don't see how you are getting chips in this area. Rocks doing curveballs perhaps? Do you do a lot of 2-way highway driving with trucks passing in the other direction? They can do a hell of a lot of pepper damage. I move to the right when they are coming.

I would get yourself a Dr. Colorchip kit to get those chips filled in nice and flat. Then apply the PPF to those panels and you will never need to worry about it again.
Like you I put the Rok Blokz and like you looked down side and dont see how the chips are coming from the tires kicking anything up. I think it has to be from other vehicles. But the odd thing is i have almost no chips on front of car or anywhere else. its just in those areas. You would think if its from road debris and other cars i would have chips everywhere. I have looked into color chip but I have a few issues. One my color its ruby and they state they cant promise a match. and two these are not really chips per say they are more like scratches just deep enough to show the white primer, you can barely catch a finger nail on them. so not sure how well color chip would work.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Like you I put the Rok Blokz and like you looked down side and dont see how the chips are coming from the tires kicking anything up. I think it has to be from other vehicles. But the odd thing is i have almost no chips on front of car or anywhere else. its just in those areas. You would think if its from road debris and other cars i would have chips everywhere. I have looked into color chip but I have a few issues. One my color its ruby and they state they cant promise a match. and two these are not really chips per say they are more like scratches just deep enough to show the white primer, you can barely catch a finger nail on them. so not sure how well color chip would work.
Dr. Colorchip will work perfectly as it did on my RR 15’ EB. It was a DD and I traded it in with 51k. I did use it on a couple of scratch’s. Depending on the depth you may need to use multiple coats. It is easy to use and the results are excellent. Give it a shot, I’m sure you will be happy.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Lo
I went out and looked at mine again and yes mines mostly on drivers side too. Weird
Must be debris along the centerline of the road. Getting kicked up by cars passing in the other direction. Sucked into the air stream along the drivers side and impacting the protruding contour before the rear wheel. All you can do is fix and protect.

hardball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So the area in front of the rear wheel has been getting hammered by rocks. The issue is I cant figure out why. I had a few there and I figured the front wheels were flinging rocks. So I bought some RokBlokz and put them on. Seems to made it worse. My Front wheel is set in about a inch or so behind the fender flair and when sitting in a straight line there is no tire showing at all that would allow for it to fling rocks up the side of the car. I have searched the internet for some film like xpel that is maybe pre cut for that area but have had no luck I think maybe im doing the searches wrong or no one makes it for that area. But I am at a loose as to how the chips are even happening as none of my front wheel is exposed to allow for the flinging up of rovks to start with. And now with the RokBlokz there is a good inch or so "shield" to stop any rocks so not sure how it got worse.

Basically I guess is anyone knows of any precut film for these areas. Getting someone to do it around here is just retarded expensive so just want to find some pre cut pieces to do myself if anyone knows any. And also those with RokBlokz, anyone else have their chips get worse after installing? Its a total mystery to me.
Two pictures. One of the area IM trying to protect and one of the chips. Cars not barely a year old and its getting hammered. OH i pick I park on gravel but drive slowly on it and thats only time im on gravel.
Screenshot_18.jpg

20200917_190305.jpg
I've got a ruby red that is just as bad. 2K miles 2016 GT. Very disappointed in Ford. Def not driver fault

Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have those on mine. They look and fit great. The green on their photo makes them stand out a lot so you can see them in their demo pic, but they seem less pronounced when on the car in black. Honestly they fit the car very well and don’t look out of place at all.

AD84FBA1-8ADE-4A84-9A99-656025A0ACB6.jpeg

57C24C67-48BC-4379-85E2-6EB592456317.jpeg
Yep just installed them on mine as well. They look great.
974399FC-71B2-483B-A5B3-76A82AD320C2.jpeg

5DCFEB52-9B26-4AEF-B0AB-02AD286A7471.jpeg

1857E90B-1C6A-4471-B1FE-909474AA7180.jpeg

SoulHunter91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Twister Orange
I've got a ruby red that is just as bad. 2K miles 2016 GT. Very disappointed in Ford. Def not driver fault
Not really. Every car nowadays has rock chip issue, not just Ford. There is no such a paint that can take a hit from 30+mph flying rock. And we have wide tires sticking out 🙃

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Mine came with Rockblockz on the front, I like em. I bought the Dr Color kit for anything that happens to the hood.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Running 275 squared with 1" spacers and sticky tires, I have this as well and it's magnetic metal. Best thing is to have it corrected and then have clear film applied.

Sponsored

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I didn't see it mentioned but these rock chips that are literally impossible to be from the front tires are from the rear tires throwing rocks forward. Happens all the time on cars with wide rear tires. Talk to any corvette person and they will not only confirm it but also tell you how special their one of one specials edition C6/7 is and why they can't race you (Edit: This is sarcasm BTW)

But yeah it's just rocks coming from the rear of the car. I personally don't worry about it. Can get that area touched up every few years for not much moneys, or just live with it. Because putting small tires on is not an option in my book.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
OP, your driveway looks like gravel. From personal experience, after driving, pulling & parking on a gravel driveway over night.

The stones will stick to and in the tread of the tire. I've driven down the block & up to 1/2 mile, have heard stones hit the inner fender wells.

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
I have those on mine. They look and fit great. The green on their photo makes them stand out a lot so you can see them in their demo pic, but they seem less pronounced when on the car in black. Honestly they fit the car very well and don’t look out of place at all.

AD84FBA1-8ADE-4A84-9A99-656025A0ACB6.jpeg

57C24C67-48BC-4379-85E2-6EB592456317.jpeg
Is your car mine?

I too bought the Rockblocks but I decided to try something a little different with them. I'm still not sure I like them and may reorder another set...

PXL_20201115_211323563.jpg

PXL_20201115_212308648.jpg

PXL_20201101_235919135.jpg

PXL_20201101_235911483.jpg

PXL_20201101_231825125.jpg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I agree that it is coming from the rear tires. I don't think that "every" Corvette owner will tell you their car is some one-off special and I'm sure there are many people driving every kind of car that aren't willing to race on the street. Besides, the rumor is that most Corvette drivers are older....that might mean they have become wise in their age :) I'm willing to bet if you try one of the race tracks in Kansas, you will most likely find a Corvette owner willing to race.

I didn't see it mentioned but these rock chips that are literally impossible to be from the front tires are from the rear tires throwing rocks forward. Happens all the time on cars with wide rear tires. Talk to any corvette person and they will not only confirm it but also tell you how special their one of one specials edition C6/7 is and why they can't race you.

But yeah it's just rocks coming from the rear of the car. I personally don't worry about it. Can get that area touched up every few years for not much moneys, or just live with it. Because putting small tires on is not an option in my book.

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I don't think that "every" Corvette owner will tell you their car is some one-off special
Sorry it was meant more as a joke, but I can see people taking that seriously. No it's actually just a rare few. I keep telling people that my car is slow as it's stock, but tons of fun. ie. I usually am the one not willing to race on the open road.
Sponsored