Road Trip Advice

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Since another member had good success doing this, I figured I'd pick your guys' brains. I'm doing a road trip next week, mostly focusing on northern California/Oregon. I'll be camping for the entirety of this trip. I'm headed directly west on I80 from Salt Lake, and camping near Truckee, then headed to San Fran/San Jose and camping at Portola Redwoods. From there, the plan is to meander up the coast on highway 1/PCH. My next campsite is at Patrick's Point. I'll be checking out the chonky redwoods while I'm up there. Then I'm headed up to Crater Lake national park, to check that out. Then camping the final night at Diamond lake in Oregon. After that, it's just a long, 11 hour blitz back home since I have obligations on Sunday, lol.

Based on this loose plan, does anyone have any must sees or good roads to check out in proximity to where I'll be? I have a friend who lives in Petaluma, but beyond that I don't have any real set plans between my destinations each night. Taking the Mustang because I know it will be extremely fun.
Sponsored

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Prairie creek redwoods state park is in Northern California right off the PCH. I was talking to a local on my way through and she recommended it as a bypass. It was a small empty park with a pretty cool road going through it. We entered on the south end and exited on the north end.

there’s also a sign for the corkscrew tree. It a very short walk to it and very worth it.
IMG_5950.jpeg

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
If you have the time, take Hwy 89 north from Truckee, through Sierraville, then west on Hwy 49, which loops back to I-80 at Auburn. Beautiful trip through the Sierras, and if you're hungry you can visit the Two Rivers Cafe in Downieville where you can dine out on the back patio with a nice view of the river.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
I-80 is the shortest route between Reno and Truckee, but the scenic route would be to take I-580 south from I-80 to the southern end of Reno to the Mt. Rose highway, which takes you over the mountain to the north end of Lake Tahoe, with a scenic overlook and a great view from above the lake. Then take Hwy 28 west into CA and go north from Kings Beach or Tahoe City to Truckee on Hwy 267 or Hwy 89 (I prefer 267).

BTW - Crater Lake is awesome!

Last edited:

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and another thing. As an alternative to the big highway, you should check out Hwy 20. You can pick it up where it starts off of I-80, or if you try the loop I suggested earlier you can catch it from Hwy 49 at Grass Valley. It goes west across the Central Valley and thru the hills to the Clearlake region and Hwy 101 north of Ukiah. Then you'd head south on 101 down to Petaluma.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Great suggestions so far. I do have time so I'm gonna incorporate some of that into the route for sure! Thank you

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Don't forget to bring a towel.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
As you come into Auburn via I80 (you’ll drop in there after the scenic route mentioned above) or you’ll be on it if you just come down 80….Look for Ikeda. It’s a local market/lunch spot.

Awesome sandwiches, great produce, and awesome pies!

They have frozen pot pies, fresh fruit and frozen fruit. Bring a cooler with some dry ice and the pies will make it home with you.

Trust me, if you can spare the space in the car they’re worth it. (If not, they sell by the slice, treat yourself to one you won’t regret it.)

As you pass through the Sonoma area, you can literally just pull into the raceway if they don’t have anything going on. They’ll stop you at the gate, but usually will let you in just to take a pic or two.

As you travel between SF and San Jose, Highway 1 is really the preferred option if you can do that, 280 is nice too and a little more direct. 101 is just the main thoroughfare.

Not sure where your rest stops will be, but if you stop between SF and SJ there is a town called Burlingame….check out Bonne Sante if you’re looking for a great sandwich or Village Host for good Pizza.

If for some reason you know you’re going to stop in the area, feel free to hit me up if you need directions, food stops, or just want to meet up and snap a quick picture of our cars on your way through. 👍🏻

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As you come into Auburn via I80 (you’ll drop in there after the scenic route mentioned above) or you’ll be on it if you just come down 80….Look for Ikeda. It’s a local market/lunch spot.

Awesome sandwiches, great produce, and awesome pies!

They have frozen pot pies, fresh fruit and frozen fruit. Bring a cooler with some dry ice and the pies will make it home with you.

Trust me, if you can spare the space in the car they’re worth it. (If not, they sell by the slice, treat yourself to one you won’t regret it.)

As you pass through the Sonoma area, you can literally just pull into the raceway if they don’t have anything going on. They’ll stop you at the gate, but usually will let you in just to take a pic or two.

As you travel between SF and San Jose, Highway 1 is really the preferred option if you can do that, 280 is nice too and a little more direct. 101 is just the main thoroughfare.

Not sure where your rest stops will be, but if you stop between SF and SJ there is a town called Burlingame….check out Bonne Sante if you’re looking for a great sandwich or Village Host for good Pizza.

If for some reason you know you’re going to stop in the area, feel free to hit me up if you need directions, food stops, or just want to meet up and snap a quick picture of our cars on your way through. 👍🏻
Definitely some good tips! I appreciate it. Since I'm camping at Portola Redwoods SP on Wednesday, I'll probably be headed right through Burlingame one way or another. Is that where you live? Definitely will hit you up for some pictures :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Definitely some good tips! I appreciate it. Since I'm camping at Portola Redwoods SP on Wednesday, I'll probably be headed right through Burlingame one way or another. Is that where you live? Definitely will hit you up for some pictures :thumbsup:
I’m actually down the road a few miles in Redwood City. (No relation to the area you’re going.) DM a few days before you’re in the area, and I’ll shoot you my contact info. (I know how road trips are so no obligation if your schedule does not allow it.)

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
So many good suggestions so far. As for camping near Truckee you can stay a Donner SP, bring food or ...
From there take 89 south, that will take you on the west shore of lake Tahoe. Keep on 89 until you hit 88 and take that west. 88 is a much better dirver's road than 80 or 50. 88 will take you to Stockton, from there you can come into the south bay via Livermore.
When going Portola SP try to take highway 9 out of Saratoga to Skyline Blvd. From Portola SP take highway 1 up to San Fran. Not much will get me to go to city these days but check out: Bullitt - filming locations (sceen-it.com)

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
So many good suggestions so far. As for camping near Truckee you can stay a Donner SP, bring food
Probably a good idea, didn’t work out so well for the last group that didn’t 😂

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So many good suggestions so far. As for camping near Truckee you can stay a Donner SP, bring food or ...
From there take 89 south, that will take you on the west shore of lake Tahoe. Keep on 89 until you hit 88 and take that west. 88 is a much better dirver's road than 80 or 50. 88 will take you to Stockton, from there you can come into the south bay via Livermore.
When going Portola SP try to take highway 9 out of Saratoga to Skyline Blvd. From Portola SP take highway 1 up to San Fran. Not much will get me to go to city these days but check out: Bullitt - filming locations (sceen-it.com)
I'm staying at goose meadow, only thing I could get, haha. I've driven 88 in a past trip coming up from Calaveras, great road. I'm gonna try doing the 89 to 49 mentioned above and coming into SF from the north. We'll see though, it's a long drive either way to Portola if you take the scenic route lmao

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
Since you might be headed north from Portola Redwoods to see your friend in Petaluma, 20 miles north is Santa Rosa if you've never been there. Like Peanuts/Snoopy? This is the place. Like wine? There are wineries galore in Sonoma County. If you'd like some fun driving roads, 101 to 12 west to Occidental Road to Coleman Valley Road which will connect you to Highway 1. Head north on 1 to Highway 116 to River Road to reconnect with 101. Head north to the town of Hopland. Take 175 east to Lakeport. Drive around the south end of the lake to find Highway 20 to get to I-5.
Sponsored