Sponsored

Road and Track Article on the PP2 - It's not a track car

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just drove my GT350 on the road. And fuck me, that cock monger Jake was right. My life instantly ended! I'm in the wambulance right now because my groceries fit perfectly fine in my TRUNK! I can't do anything with this car! The ride is SOOOOOOOOOOOO harsh too!!!!

But then I got into my friend's fully factory WRX and the ride was harsher.
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I just drove my GT350 on the road. And fuck me, that cock monger Jake was right. My life instantly ended! I'm in the wambulance right now because my groceries fit perfectly fine in my TRUNK! I can't do anything with this car! The ride is SOOOOOOOOOOOO harsh too!!!!

But then I got into my friend's fully factory WRX and the ride was harsher.
That must take big balls and a lot of skill to drive something that makes no low end power. I think you might be lying!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I do see at least one trip to Laguna Seca in my future though...
Well......it's been nice knowing ya. I'd ask if I can have your car when you die, but you're gonna' be all wrapped up in it.

Rumor has it the Stig's contact list is buried in the wall at the cork-screw.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
How many times around a "Track" does a car have to go, before it is a "track car" …?

Does the Nurb count..?
Track-capable street car = able to last 20 minutes of track use, without any break, all-out (i.e. “how you drive the car”), without breaking or causing an issue in ability (“limp mode”, power degradation, RPM-limiting, dynamic control confusion/“ice mode”) in any summer-like climate (40-100Fish*).

*95-100F is acceptable.

Based on what I gather from all the track people I associate with. Not soley my opinion.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Exhibit A will be the thread about the PP2 when it was revealed. I don't have a count, but a fairly large percentage of the comments were specific to the track capability and that the options (specifically the 305 square Cup 2s, Magneride and the aero bits) made it attractive for that. I can't speculate as to what everyone thinks when they see the spec list, but my group of car enthusiast friends (some who regularly do Autocross and HPDE events) all came to the same conclusion.
That thread has led to the "jump to conlusions" that a PP2 is a GT350 for less money, and that led to where we are. Because its so capable, Ford "had to to update the 19 GT350 to be faster" is now the evidence to confirm this. These assumptions alone have become "facts" to some...well, no, to just one. Ford also updated the 2019 raptor, perhaps the new Limited F150 is nipping at its heels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
9/20/2018 is marked on the calendar for TNIA at HPT. Last TNIA I participated in was in 2016 in the GTO, so with a new ride and two years of dust to knock off, I'll push it a little, but it will be a conservative outing for sure. I'll be running on the Bridgestones, so I'm not expecting the grip of the SC2's. Besides, HPT has a lot of concrete around it, and I'm not looking to paint any of it Lightning Blue. So far, the PP2 definitely has more grip than my GTO which had full Pedders Street II suspension and 235 (f) / 265 (r) NT-05's. The GTO was making about the same power as the Mustang and was also an M6, but the brakes were not as good. The setup of the GTO was very predictable driving on the edge, more so than what I've been able to tell from the Mustang so far. But, I had 12 years of seat time in it compared to 2 months in the Mustang, and the Mustang's threshold is definitely higher. I never had any overheating problems with GTO other than brakes. I'm really looking forward to it, and will report back, particularly of any heat soak issues.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That thread has led to the "jump to conlusions" that a PP2 is a GT350 for less money, and that led to where we are. Because its so capable, Ford "had to to update the 19 GT350 to be faster" is now the evidence to confirm this. These assumptions alone have become "facts" to some...well, no, to just one. Ford also updated the 2019 raptor, perhaps the new Limited F150 is nipping at its heels.
Yeah, the GT350 was made faster because you can't keep a product stagnant (cough*370Z*cough) and expect the desire for it to remain or increase.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Track-capable street car = able to last 20 minutes of track use, without any break, all-out (i.e. “how you drive the car”), without breaking or causing an issue in ability (“limp mode”, power degradation, RPM-limiting, dynamic control confusion/“ice mode”) in any summer-like climate (40-100Fish*).

*95-100F is acceptable.

Based on what I gather from all the track people I associate with. Not soley my opinion.
@Mountain376 Pft.. that's rubbish. A true test is sitting in 95f heat for 1h in rush hour traffic going no faster then 5mph and not having your CHT going above 208, oil/diff temps normal, AC cranked, groceries in the trunk, wife swearing at numbskull drivers from the pass seat, and a bird shits on your hood. That's what defines a dependable track car
:like:

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

You do know that the 2018 & 2019 Mustang GT's come with a gen3 coyote engine, right..? That makes 460hp/480hp and has a redline only 700rpms lower than the GT350's voodoo engine...

None of the Mustangs are lacking in the power department, they are suited based on intended use.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
You do know that the 2018 & 2019 Mustang GT's come with a gen3 coyote engine, right..? That makes 460hp/480hp and has a redline only 700rpms lower than the GT350's voodoo engine...

None of the Mustangs are lacking in the power department, they are suited based on intended use.
My post is not power related. If it was only about power it stands to reason that the voodoo would have gotten an increase. All I’m saying is pp2 is not a gt350 for less money. Many assumptions have been made to support that line of thinking. I’ve heard some strange arguments (it’s got the 350’s knuckle and shocks) or the mt-82 doesn’t need coolers or is narrower or whatever...there is just a lot of assumptions about how much is shared. I’m excited about the new mustangs, exciting times we live in. I would expect a 2018 vehicle to compete with a 3 year old vehicle in certain metrics. Just look at 12/13 boss, that 444hp became the benchmark for the 15 GT (435hp). It’s the whole package, and as you stated, intended purpose, and not all about power.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My post is not power related. If it was only about power it stands to reason that the voodoo would have gotten an increase. All I’m saying is pp2 is not a gt350 for less money. Many assumptions have been made to support that line of thinking. I’ve heard some strange arguments (it’s got the 350’s knuckle and shocks) or the mt-82 doesn’t need coolers or is narrower or whatever...there is just a lot of assumptions about how much is shared. I’m excited about the new mustangs, exciting times we live in. I would expect a 2018 vehicle to compete with a 3 year old vehicle in certain metrics. Just look at 12/13 boss, that 444hp became the benchmark for the 15 GT (435hp). It’s the whole package, and as you stated, intended purpose, and not all about power.

When people make such statements, they are not talking about the nth degree... but generalized.

Matter of fact, the PP2 vs the GT350 around town, side by side and in almost every instance would be nearly identical in performance. Only on a strung out track, like the nurb/cota would the "average joe" be able to parse the difference in performance of the two.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
When people make such statements, they are not talking about the nth degree... but generalized.

Matter of fact, the PP2 vs the GT350 around town, side by side and in almost every instance would be nearly identical in performance. Only on a strung out track, like the nurb/cota would the "average joe" be able to parse the difference in performance of the two.
I disagree about generalized. You know who on here has turned it into fact. I agree around town. One could argue in the real world on regular roads it’s a push. My boss was more fun around town than the 350 is. You literally felt like you were driving a race car with the side pipes, Lopey idle etc. can you track the 302? Yup, there is just a laundry list of prep that needs to be done if you plan on doing that, including a trans cooler scoop and brake cooling ducts. To assume that the (faster than a 302) PP2 doesn’t need some prep for track use is where the argument of the PP2 and 350 are the “same” is lost. If you want to argue that the PP2 is “better or faster” in some places then so be it. This is why the 350 is more money, it has legit hardware where it’s needed. Let’s not forget the 16 tech packs and limp mode. So if you want to say a PP2= 350, then it becomes essentially a 16tech pack 350 with 350R tires on it. And yes, on a track, it won’t be a difference with an average joe. Anyone who has done a track day will agree it’s more about the driver. Miatas passing corvettes is not so crazy sounding as it would be on the street

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yeah, the GT350 was made faster because you can't keep a product stagnant (cough*370Z*cough) and expect the desire for it to remain or increase.
Actually, there is some reason to believe this to be the case. By all indications, the 2019 GT350 should have never happened. GT500 was supposed to be the one on the street by 2018 and the GT350 retired. GT500 has experienced a couple delays that pretty much forced keeping GT350 around a year or two longer than planned. Not that this is a bad thing, because...GT350. But part of the reason for upgrade is that it wasn't really even expected to still be here, so in order to keep up with improving performance, the upgrade was the right thing.

As for the Limited F-150 / Raptor...Not surprising, since Ford is making the 3.5TT available in the Limited. Makes sense to put a little more room between that and the Raptor. You don't want Raptors customers to decide to "buy down".

Pft.. that's rubbish. A true test is sitting in 95f heat for 1h in rush hour traffic going no faster then 5mph and not having your CHT going above 208, oil/diff temps normal, AC cranked, groceries in the trunk, wife swearing at numbskull drivers from the pass seat, and a bird shits on your hood. That's what defines a dependable track car
:like:
OK, now that's just funny with a twist of truth. That is a torture test for cooling capabilities of a DD.

Last edited:

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Actually, there is some to believe this to be the case. By all indications, the 2019 GT350 should have never happened. GT500 was supposed to be the one on the street by 2018 and the GT350 retired. GT500 has experienced a couple delays that pretty much forced keeping GT350 around a year or two longer than planned. Not that this is a bad thing, because...GT350. But part of the reason for upgrade is that it wasn't really even expected to still be here, so in order to keep up with improving performance, the upgrade was the right thing.

As for the Limited F-150 / Raptor...Not surprising, since Ford is making the 3.5TT available in the Limited. Makes sense to put a little more room between that and the Raptor. You don't want Raptors customers to decide to "buy down".

OK, now that's just funny with a twist of truth. That is a torture test for cooling capabilities of a DD.

I was half joking about the limited/raptor because it’s getting the raptor engine. You wouldn’t be taking the limited to Baja 1000 ;) with the debate going on here, every vehicle in the lineup has its purpose

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So if you want to say a PP2= 350, then it becomes essentially a 16tech pack 350 with 350R tires on it. And yes, on a track, it won’t be a difference with an average joe. Anyone who has done a track day will agree it’s more about the driver. Miatas passing corvettes is not so crazy sounding as it would be on the street
This is the exact problem Ford is having:
Too much margin selling GT350 to fanboys buying the marketing. Ford could easily make a price competitive GT CP5.2 w coolers and 2 piece brakes at 1SS 1LE pricing.
Ford CHOOSES not too because they dont want to cannibalize the GT350 margin.
Ford powertrain engineers just tell their track day friends to grab a PP1 and add brakes and coolers and go.
Sponsored