Sponsored

Road and Track Article on the PP2 - It's not a track car

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Remember, when you argue with an idiot, you have two idiots arguing.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It doesn't make that drive better, because that drive is never going to be good.
IOW, give up before you start. Outstanding!

Thus, why one would describe it as "mind-numbing". Why not use a mind numbing car for your mind numbing commutes and save your fun car for the fun drives?
If you can't find a bright spot in the bad part of your day in driving a car that's fun to drive, that's being no different from Mr. Conventional Suburbia who has zero interest in things automotive. If you won't even look for the bright spot, I can't help you.

Now . . . about hotrods and sports roadsters. Mentioned only because that's the best I can do to describe the minimalist nature I've always wanted to accompany the performance. If I still had a commute - I'm 70 so those days are several years behind me now - I'd rather drive a stripped/lightened/decontented version of my '08 than just about anything sedan-ish bought out of current dealer stock. I'd say it's a 'character' thing, except that it's probably a waste of free electrons here . . .

I haven't needed Nav for any of the trips I've ever made, not even for the first or only time I've made them (good thing, since Nav didn't even exist when I made most of them). Why would I suddenly need it now? If I don't need it, I'm not going to want it no matter how much value it might have for somebody else.

You're reaching with that 'horse' argument. This is a Mustang car forum, not a mustang horse site.

My cars all get little chips in the paint from time to time. It's what touch-up paint is for until it gets to the point where a repaint starts making sense. I've done a few repaint jobs on my cars over the years.

Clearly, our concepts of what constitutes a "shit tool" for the DD tasks are at opposite ends of the spectrum. For me, any time spent driving the same kind of mind-numbing transportation appliances that most of my neighbors drive makes those vehicles "shit tools" for me by definition.

Your commute is a lemon? Learn to make lemonade . . .

Norm

Last edited:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
TLDR; If I wanted a track car, I'd buy a track car. I don't own a nascar car either. I do however love my Mustang. I find the premise of the magazine article pretty stupid, it is not sold as a track car, was not marketed as one, their observation of "It's not a track car" is pretty spot on. They boarded a ship with captain Obvious at the helm.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
To quote Einstein, " “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". If you're not having trouble reading, that would just mean you're asking the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. Being insane sounds MUCH more miserable than having multiple toys and using them as toys rather than numb commuters
oh, the irony. Practice what you Preach!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
All of these are relative.....blah-blah-blah-blah.....Cheaper to maintain than a Fusion? Go buy a set of 305/19 MPSC2s and a set of 185/17 Nankang all seasons and tell me which one is cheaper.
All cars need tires, that's part of the cost. And GTs don't come with 305/19 MPSC2s, they come with all-season 18" tires. You've made an asinine statement, and now you even have several other posters challenging your idiotic statement.

No matter how you put it, they are NOT a good option for a daily driver.
Uhhhh....no.

They're a fine option for a daily driver. Your having a contrary opinion doesn't change reality, doesn't change how the vast majority of owners use them. You're acting like they're Ferraris or Lamborghinis or something, it's a total joke.

And most specifically, you're deciding that what's important in a DD auto for you, applies to everyone else too.

You don't get to define things for others, you're no one. You have an opinion, and it's nor more or less valid than anyone else's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have to remember that Jake and only Jake knows what a good DD is. The only valid opinion. He knows all and what's best for everyone. I'll remember that the next time I'm buying one.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
TLDR; If I wanted a track car, I'd buy a track car. I don't own a nascar car either. I do however love my Mustang. I find the premise of the magazine article pretty stupid, it is not sold as a track car, was not marketed as one, their observation of "It's not a track car" is pretty spot on. They boarded a ship with captain Obvious at the helm.
It may not have been marketed directly as one, but you'd have to forgive a crapload of people for looking at the equipment list over even a PP1 and not thinking, "hmm, this was built to go do track days/HPDEs".

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I would personally LOVE to get back on topic, as I said in one of my previous posts.

Anyone in here currently own/track a PP2? Anyone who went from a GT350 to a PP2 and wants to give their input on the 2 of them compared?
I get what you’re saying. I think we all get it. You have some good points... and some bad. Please stop this discussion on how your way is the right way and only way of life/car ownership.

So, who owns a PP2 that’s been on track? How does it compare to a PP1 or any other Mustang?

What’s your input on the various drive modes?

What do you like and not like?

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
It may not have been marketed directly as one, but you'd have to forgive a crapload of people for looking at the equipment list over even a PP1 and not thinking, "hmm, this was built to go do track days/HPDEs".
No, I get that. But maybe not the crapload part. I would wager that the vast majority of PP2 drivers will never get their car to a track or HPDE. The majority just want a cool car with a nice set of nuts to have fun once in a while. I bet less than 10% ever make it to a driving event of some sort. Just a guess but it's my guess.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Those brakes scream "hey you like slamming on these from 140 mph, right?" I am not sure where else you would do that but the track. JMO.

However, I chose it because it was the better daily than the camaro due to visibility, interior, cosmetics, while having performance that was on par. I'll take the interior of the mustang over the diff coolers of the camaro because I DD the car. I know why I love the car, and I don't need to pretend that it's going to have the longevity of a camaro 1le during HPDE. I would never risk wrecking my daily driver on a track. I always have a dedicated race car and a dedicated DD.

If you rack & stack the risk, reward, liability of how you're going to operate the vehicle and decide you want to spend 40k on your DD that you're going to also do HPDE with, then you're a bold individual. To me, that's akin to "dipping in your stash."

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No, I get that. But maybe not the crapload part. I would wager that the vast majority of PP2 drivers will never get their car to a track or HPDE. The majority just want a cool car with a nice set of nuts to have fun once in a while. I bet less than 10% ever make it to a driving event of some sort. Just a guess but it's my guess.
That's probably true.

I'm equally sure it crossed their mind that the PP2 was closer to being road course track-ready than any Mustang trim short of the GT350/GT350R.

Jake - if I was to buy a GT/PP2 this coming Monday it would be with absolute knowledge that it would be tracked . . . and used on the street with very little restriction. Like, I might not be able to haul a new bathroom vanity home in it, but if I couldn't make it fit I'd simply use one of the other available cars or find another way. I wouldn't stop trying to use it in DD fashion just because some things might be hard to make fit.

Norm

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe Ford just doesn't want to warranty the Mustang GT for track use. Factory coolers will set expectations. Aftermarket has the Full Tilt Boogie Racing diff cooler kit and the MT82 air cooler.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Exhibit A will be the thread about the PP2 when it was revealed. I don't have a count, but a fairly large percentage of the comments were specific to the track capability and that the options (specifically the 305 square Cup 2s, Magneride and the aero bits) made it attractive for that. I can't speculate as to what everyone thinks when they see the spec list, but my group of car enthusiast friends (some who regularly do Autocross and HPDE events) all came to the same conclusion.

You're probably right on that percentage, though, because the amount of GT350s that go without seeing a track is surprisingly high.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Just like the majority of GT350s and 1LEs.

I do see at least one trip to Laguna Seca in my future though...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
How many times around a "Track" does a car have to go, before it is a "track car" …?

Does the Nurb count..?
Sponsored