Sponsored

Road and Track Article : ADM's

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I had a friend send me this article from Road and Track, it's a few months old but talks about Ford and the ADM model. I hadn't seen it before and I don't believe it's been shared here. I found it to be very insightful and relevant to us as GT350/GT350R owners so I thought I'd share.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a33162/when-dealers-attack/

The New High-Performance Fords Could Fail the Same Way the Pontiac GTO Did:
"When dealers attack".

"Forty grand of additional dealer markup in a single photo." The photo to which the caption referred showed two new Shelby Mustangs and a Focus RS on the dealership floor. My first thought was a quote from the movie Clerks: "This job would be great it it wasn't for the (blank)ing customers." Only the way I heard it in my head was: This car business would be great if it wasn't for the (blank)ing dealers.

Imagine that you're part of the various "skunkworks" operations at Ford. You've moved heaven and earth to find budget, engineering time, production time, supplier time, and manpower to turn lead into gold. Against all odds, you've gotten every level of the corporation to sign off on a project like the Mustang GT350 or the Focus RSā€“small-batch stuff that consumes massive amounts of effort while having less impact on the bottom line than the most insignificant additional-equipment package for the F-150 pickup does.

It's no joke getting a performance variant of anything through a modern multinational like Ford or General Motors. You spend more time justifying your project's existence than you spend actually building the thing. It's the first thing that people want to cut when times are tough, and the last thing they want to fund when the market rebounds.

Still, after all is said and done you've actually pulled it off. You've convinced the bean-counters to let you build an 8,250-rpm V8 or a 350-horsepower all-wheel-drive hatchback in candy-apple neon blue. You load up the factory orders, you watch the cars get rave reviewsā€¦ and then everything just comes to a sudden, high-impact STOP at the dealers. The cars that you sweated blood to get in the hands of customers are glued to the showroom floors while the polyester-suit types running the dealers try to squeeze an extra ten or twenty grand worth of profit out of them.

"It's perfectly legal!" the sales managers will say, and they are right. "If we have to discount slow-selling cars, shouldn't we be able to mark-up the hot ones?" And that sounds fair on the surface of things. There's just one little problem: This kind of raw greed really only works with cost-no-object rich-boy toys like the Ferrari 458 Speciale or Ford's own GT. Those cars are already priced into the stratosphere. They aren't being purchased by people who are watching their budgets or trying to stretch into a dream car. With very few exceptions, if you can afford $300k for a toy you can probably afford $400k.

That's just not the case with the fast Fords at the humbler end of the socioeconomic spectrum. My experience selling Fords and working for Ford Credit tells me that most of your buyers for those products are stretched pretty thin. They don't have an extra ten grand to throw at a car, and the banks aren't interested in loaning them that ten grand either. So they end up buying something else, while the marked-up cars continue to sit in the showroom.

We've seen this movie beforeā€“with the 5.7-liter Pontiac GTO. This was a product that had huge momentum and tremendous buzz when it hit the showroom floors, but the dealers saw it as a chance to make a down payment on their next boat so the first allocation of cars wound up dead on arrival, sticker-shackled to the ground by additional markup. As more GTOs came off the boat from Australia, the dealers started to relax their grip a bit, but by then the word was out on the car that you couldn't get a decent price on one, so the buyers didn't bother to come in.

When the significantly-improved LS2-powered GTO arrived a year later, it found its older cousins still cluttering up the lots. All of a sudden, the same dealers who had asked twenty grand over sticker were desperate to get rid of their inventory. All this did was convince buyers that the cars were overpriced and didn't retain their value, which harmed sales of the brand-new GTO as well.

It's easy to imagine a scenario where the dealers sold their first GTO allocations at or below sticker, building sales momentum and customer excitement. The lots could have been empty by the time the bigger-bore car arrived, and the momentum would have picked up further from there. Maybe some of that "halo effect" might have actually rubbed off on the more modest Pontiac offerings. It's a stretch to say it, but if the Pontiac dealers had handled the GTO properly, maybe there might still be Pontiac dealers around today.

The problem is that while even the most incompetent car company thinks in terms of product cycles and multi-year plans, the average dealership is run on a thirty-day basis. Given a chance to swing for the fences with five or ten grand worth of dealer markup, most of the sales managers out there will cheerfully forget all about "brand image" or long-term planning. And the longer a car sits on the showroom floor with that markup sticker, the more "sunk cost" incentive there is for the manager to keep the sticker on it just so he prove that he was right about putting it on there in first place. I'd call it fiddling while Rome burns, but at least Nero was reputed to be a competent musician. Most dealership sales personnel aren't even good at selling cars.

I assure you that plenty of intelligent people at General Motors understood what a disaster this short-term dealer mindset was for the Pontiac brand, the same way a lot of intelligent people at Ford are probably holding their head in their hands watching their dealers try to screw an extra five grand out of Focus buyers. The problem is that the separation between manufacturer and dealer is enshrined in franchise law pretty much across every one of the fifty states. Believe me, Ford would love to have you visit an "RS/Shelby Boutique" where you could enjoy a Nordstrom's approach to buying your next performance carā€“but the laws on the books, and their existing contracts, mean that they are forced, like the old general once said, to go to war with the army they have, not the army they want.

This is what I'm afraid will happen, because it's happened in the past: The dealers will misuse their additional-markup privileges to kill the market for the Focus RS and the standard non-R versions of the Shelby GT350. Then, after the market dries up, they will complain to Ford that the cars don't sell, which will give the bean counters additional ammunition to refuse requests for future fast-Ford projects. Before you know it, the closest thing you'll be able to get to a factory-build Ford sporting vehicle will be the tape-and-stripe packages that reigned supreme forty years ago in the Malaise Era.

The only people who can change this state of affairs are the people who have decision power at the dealerships. I know that a lot of them read this website, at least occasionally. So if you are a sales manager or a general manager at a Ford dealer, I am begging you: Sell these cars to the people who want them, at a fair price, as quickly as you can. Try to be part of the solution instead of being part of the problem. If you are a Tom Cruise fan, then imagine him telling you to "Help Ford help you!" Or if, like me, you read the Bible a lot as a child, imagine Moses telling you to "Let My Shelbys Go!" Or maybe you're a fan of the original Top Gear, in which case I'm going to suggest that youā€¦ "Get off your RS!"
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow, I need to catch up on the backlog of my road and track subscription.

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I guess this was posted back in April and I missed it. Sorry for those that it's a reapeat for. I honestly missed. it. I tried to delete this but can't.

Enjoy it if you haven't seen it, ignore if you have. :thumbsup:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I didn't mean anything by my post except that I didn't read this one either. I assumed it was new and I haven't got to it yet.

Thanks for the article, its about spot on if you ask me.

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I didn't mean anything by my post except that I didn't read this one either. I assumed it was new and I haven't got to it yet.

Thanks for the article, its about spot on if you ask me.
Yeah wasn't you Tom, when I did my search initially I just looked for "Road and track" and after I posted I went back by date (early April) and saw it had been posted.

It's good reading though for those that missed it like us IMO.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I remember this article being posted before. I disagree with the author. I think the GTO did poorly because of poor (plain) styling. If GM had made it look more muscular and exciting instead of bland and boring I think it would have done ok. From what I read at the time it certainly had decent performance. I do agree that ADMs can and do slow car sales. Typically if the dealers don't charge ADMs a lot of the initial buyers flip the cars for a profit.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Goes to show that just because an article is in a major (digital) rag, it doesn't automatically make sense. I don't agree with most of this.

One of many examples of horrible points; Saying the sales model doesn't work or isn't fair because the Mustang isn't a Ferrari is someone grasping at content. No, it's not - but saying "rich boys" only buy Ferraris and Mustangs are reserved for some particular income bracket, is rather insulting and ignorant. Obviously, not everyone is buying a GT350 - but the Mustang lineup is designed for this exact thing - budget commuter to a road racer, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

...and dealers will eventually complain that the GT350 doesn't sell? Give me a break.

This is just another person with an opinion (a poorly supported one) about ADMs - Not giving it any additional credit just because it's click-bait in a semi-popular rag.

Someone should write an article about how "filler" articles devalue a magazine and how R&T is going to disappear.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I remember this article being posted before. I disagree with the author. I think the GTO did poorly because of poor (plain) styling. If GM had made it look more muscular and exciting instead of bland and boring I think it would have done ok. From what I read at the time it certainly had decent performance. I do agree that ADMs can and do slow car sales. Typically if the dealers don't charge ADMs a lot of the initial buyers flip the cars for a profit.
Exactly. Each vehicle is judged on it's own merit. We generally buy the car that we like at a market price we agree with. Sales model might be frustrating to many but it's basically be the same through history. It's why 1 rabbit is worth more than 1 potato.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I agree with Hack on the GTO and the stale styling thereof being a factor in its failure, but the rest rings true for me.

About a year ago I was chomping at the bit to move to a GT350, but my refusal to pay an ADM made it impossible, not to mention a family medical issue that made me more than a bit reluctant to stick my neck out.

Now, a regular GT350 can finally be had at or even a hair under MSRP, but today's cost delta to trade my lowly, plebeian GT is beyond my tightwad comprehension. Thanks to dealer greed I'll just focus on paying off my property by the time I'm 50ish instead and enjoy what I have.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
One of many examples of horrible points; Saying the sales model doesn't work or isn't fair because the Mustang isn't a Ferrari is someone grasping at content. No, it's not - but saying "rich boys" only buy Ferraris and Mustangs are reserved for some particular income bracket, is rather insulting and ignorant. Obviously, not everyone is buying a GT350 - but the Mustang lineup is designed for this exact thing - budget commuter to a road racer, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
Except that the whole notion of bringing ADM down into more reasonably-priced cars is regressive. What you can write off as "exclusivity" or outright snob-appeal at the Ferrari level doesn't work at the Mustang level.

If you're trying to suggest that HPDE should be limited to those with champagne budgets and that it's OK to squeeze out some of the beer-budget folks . . . maybe the ADM problem is bigger than just a matter of dealership greed.

Norm

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I also read this article on the R&T mag a couple months ago.... the modern GTO stunk. And I'm a big GTO fan. I owned two 1970 GTO's in HS (coupe) and then college (convertible)... the modern GTO had nothing compared to the original ones- style and design to start. Failure or doomed from the getgo. The modern Shelbys shouldn't even be compared to the last GTO models... night & day.

ADM's won't go away neither.... dealers (most) don't care or give a squat. Maximizing profits is their primary, secondary, tertiary objectives... at the expense of consumers like it or not. Specialty or limited production vehicles to them is like a gold mine.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Goes to show that just because an article is in a major (digital) rag, it doesn't automatically make sense. I don't agree with most of this.

...and dealers will eventually complain that the GT350 doesn't sell? Give me a break.

This is just another person with an opinion (a poorly supported one) about ADMs - Not giving it any additional credit just because it's click-bait in a semi-popular rag.

Someone should write an article about how "filler" articles devalue a magazine and how R&T is going to disappear.
Completely agree with you. People are so naive when it comes to buying vehicles... they get into the mentality that "if it isn't below sticker, then it isn't a good deal" and then feel robbed or cheated when they can't find that deal all of the time. This ADM business happens with EVERY single special edition Porsche... every one. I'm sure we are going to see the demise of Porsche very soon... :lol:

And the points about it being "just a mustang" are spot on as well. SO many on here are like "it is just a Mustang, it isn't an exotic" but to a lot of people who aren't so well off, that GT350 might very well be their exotic, so IMO those people are portraying the same attitude that they supposedly can't stand.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Absolutely agree on no comparison between modern day GTO and Shelby GT 350. I had a brand new 2005 GTO and now a 2017 Shelby GT 350. There is nothing to compare between them. The Shelby is a far more precision machine with both the looks and race track capabilities to go with it. The GTO's only strong point was it was a good drift car.