Right rear leaks down to 19 psi...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Here is what the tpms sensor looks like. The seal is on the base of the tpms. The stem nut torque creates the seal between the wbeel and the stem base.

s-l300.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
One last thought. Id spray it with soapy water. If you get bubbles, torque the stem. If it still bubbles, then the tire is coming off and probably replacing or examining the tpms sensor.

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
Quite likely the bead of the tire is leaking. It's very common for them to leak with more psi and when the pressure drops it stops. Usually it's from a dirty rim that a little cleaning resolves. Being a new wheel it may be excessive tire paste causing the issue?

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
I believe I will have to go with Tomster on this one. When DT put new tires on my wife's BMW I re-calibrated the TPMS. On the trip home (45miles) I got a warning for low tire pressure and then another for very low tire pressure. So I pulled off in a gas station and filled the tire that was low and double checked the other three. Pulled back onto the highway, but this time keeping an eye on the on-board tire pressure display. I actually was able to watch the pressure drop in the same tire. Made it home went inside to make a phone call to my local DT who informed me to bring it in and that they would front load me to the front of the line. Walked outside to leave and the tire was completely flat. Used the air compressor from my GT350 to fill it up to make it to DT. Come to find out they failed to install one of the washers/seals in the TPMS. I raised cane at the initial DT store who ended up compensating me for the error.

On another note my local DT repaired a nail in a tire of my previous 350R. As soon as I pulled the tire from the back of the truck the tech new exactly what it was. Apparently there is another R in town whose owner tracks it and bring it in every 6 months for new tires. So I got lucky in that regard, but hope the tech does not move any time soon.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I had random tire pressure drops of about 7-9 psi on one tire when the car was new. I brought just the wheel/tire combo in to the dealer without the car cause I hate bringing my car in lol. It was a leaking valve, fixed under warranty. Although they were very puzzled and not sure how to write it up without the car present, but figured it out. No charge.

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I had random tire pressure drops of about 7-9 psi on one tire when the car was new. I brought just the wheel/tire combo in to the dealer without the car cause I hate bringing my car in lol. It was a leaking valve, fixed under warranty. Although they were very puzzled and not sure how to write it up without the car present, but figured it out. No charge.
I also carried just a wheel/ tire into the dealer a few times over the past 4 years. Prefer they don't handle my car. You're not crazy!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
One of my TPS is off by like 8 psi. They have a service life its not even that long if I remember correctly.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
When my car was new, all 4 TPMS were off by 2 PSI. I checked it with 3 very expensive Longacre gauges and one cheap gauge. The TPMS was off. Then at some point the following summer, they were accurate. Go figure!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just curious.... what was the verdict?

BHunted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Just stumbled onto this thread. We have the same problem with the rear passenger tire on our new '19 Mustang. (It's not a calibration issue). Without looking at the dashboard data, it shows low and the low air sensor comes on. I check the tire and sure enough. Down to 29 psi. Suppose to be 33 psi. Filled it back up and within a week, its on its way back down.

Now here is the really aggravating part that make you scream wanting to know where those lil bastoid gremlins are. We had a 2017 Ford Escape with the EXACT same problem. Same tire location, (right rear). Dealer could not find the problem. Sucky part was constantly going out and freezing my arse off in chilling winds to refill it only to have dealer not find anything. We've since traded it in for the above Mustang.

Well, fast forward to today, we are heading over to the dealer. With the Escape, all they did was spray it with soap. I want them to take the damn wheel off and put it in the dunk tank and stare at it for a day if need be. This is such BS!

The fact that 2 different vehicles had/has the same issue bugs me to death. What gives? Argh!
All the tires show low here and there but evenly. But the right rear seems to always be the issue no matter the outside temps. My '19 Ranger has no abnormal tire issues....

Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Use SNOOP (soapy water mixture) and spray around the tire bead (both sides) and the valve stem. The air escaping will create bubbles and you have your leak. If you cant see anything, check to see if you can find any crack on the wheel itself, or the tread of the tire.

A dunk test works as well as the snoop method. The only issue if its a very slow leak, it can be problematic to find.

Old valve stems had rubber on the back side and front which sandwiched in the valve stem opening of the wheel. The TPMS has only the rubber gasket on the inside of the wheel with the outer nut applying pressure. The old system also had a larger surface area then the gasket for the TPMS/

BHunted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Use SNOOP (soapy water mixture) and spray around the tire bead (both sides) and the valve stem. The air escaping will create bubbles and you have your leak. If you cant see anything, check to see if you can find any crack on the wheel itself, or the tread of the tire.

A dunk test works as well as the snoop method. The only issue if its a very slow leak, it can be problematic to find.

Old valve stems had rubber on the back side and front which sandwiched in the valve stem opening of the wheel. The TPMS has only the rubber gasket on the inside of the wheel with the outer nut applying pressure. The old system also had a larger surface area then the gasket for the TPMS/
Did all that good stuff. This time they found something on the inner wall of the tire near the rim. Pist. $265 for a new tire and car only has 2100 miles on it. They won't cover this as warranty. ARGH!
Sponsored