Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Looks very good job, well done.
My Question is: This Water/Oil Heat Exchanger, is it necessary to actually have it at all?
Why not plug the water connections at the exchanger, remove the water hose/pipework and plug these too. It's only purpose as far as I understand is currently is too get the Oil temp up using the Hot Water from the Radiator.
As someone else recently asked the question was the RHD oil cooler solution designed to cope with a very hot day in Alice Springs.It begs the question do we really need an additional engine oil cooler in dear old Blighty??

If the car is not modified or not being used for track days then perhaps we should just remove and bypass the troublesome oil cooler that can wreck the engine?

A blanking plate for the oil take off on the block and a “normal” hose and remove the other bits.

It needs a willing volunteer to do this and then report back on oil temps under a variety of driving situations.The engine may run hotter/colder but probably within the normal parameters. It seems very unlikely it will self destruct as it does if the cooler fails.

Is this a reasonable alternative to the fairly expensive (but not compared to a new engine) air /oil cooler?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FMJ

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
As someone else recently asked the question was the RHD oil cooler solution designed to cope with a very hot day in Alice Springs.It begs the question do we really need an additional engine oil cooler in dear old Blighty??

If the car is not modified or not being used for track days then perhaps we should just remove and bypass the troublesome oil cooler that can wreck the engine?

A blanking plate for the oil take off on the block and a “normal” hose and remove the other bits.

It needs a willing volunteer to do this and then report back on oil temps under a variety of driving situations.The engine may run hotter/colder but probably within the normal parameters. It seems very unlikely it will self destruct as it does if the cooler fails.

Is this a reasonable alternative to the fairly expensive (but not compared to a new engine) air /oil cooler?
It may be the case you don’t need one… but the oil will definitely run hotter without it. As you say it may not make much difference and may still be within spec… but as companies like Ford pinch pennies everywhere and went to the trouble of changing loads of stuff to make the car U.K./Euro compatible I would have thought if they could have gone without then they would have done so. There must be a reason they felt the need to design a whole new oil manifold engine mount pipe work and cooler and fit it to U.K. cars. No cooler and a standard engine mount would have been quicker and cheaper for them to do. I bet you could get away with it but I wouldn’t want to risk it.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The main reason the oil cooler is moved is because it's known to be a weak component on rhd cars due to its location. It does beg the question why there isn't a cheaper alternative.

OP
OP
FMJ

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
I got the new cooler delete lower rad hose đź‘Ť. Much better but a little loose on the OE clips so will get some nice stainless ones.

OE pipe nicely accessible once the air box is removed (very easy) and the under tray

8AEF0335-807A-487C-8237-F09A84B76F6E.jpeg

74CC5200-6BB0-421E-A59F-6B4FF0B4485E.jpeg

comparison

625D74A9-81C1-447B-9AB8-CD31D7C7CE76.jpeg

fitted

B82FC0BA-F3EA-4172-ADDF-4EDCE2052056.jpeg

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have Mishimoto hoses so I just bought a metal connector for when I remove the splitter.

I'm starting to look into what oil coolers are available, I don't have much hope Mishimoto will get their oil cooler or plate in stock any time soon

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you are looking for a new take off plate, have you considered looking at what (I am assuming) is fitted to the Mach 1 ?

WD :like:

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
Looks like you did a good job there, I'm thinking I should really do the same to my 2017. Could you tell us where you get the rest of the parts? Fittings, teflon hose etc.
Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FMJ

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
I got my fittings and cooler from Merlin. There is also a good company that trade via eBay called torques that do all hose and fittings. All good quality stuff. Go for Teflon hose rather then rubber as it will last longer đź‘Ť just make sure you useTeflon compatible fittings.

OP
OP
FMJ

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
If you are looking for a new take off plate, have you considered looking at what (I am assuming) is fitted to the Mach 1 ?

First I have heard about the Mach 1 having a different cooler? Any info on this?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
First I have heard about the Mach 1 having a different cooler? Any info on this?
I understood that the Mach 1 uses a traditional engine oil cooler (rad type rather than dumping heat into the coolant) ? If so, I wonder if that gives us the option of a OE ford take of plate that would work with RHD ?

OP
OP
FMJ

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
I understood that the Mach 1 uses a traditional engine oil cooler (rad type rather than dumping heat into the coolant) ? If so, I wonder if that gives us the option of a OE ford take of plate that would work with RHD ?

We will have to ask an owner to take some pics as apparently it uses the 350 one but I can’t see how that would work with the U.K. steering box which is what caused this whole issue in the first place.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Can imagine the lhd Mach one uses the gt350 cooler. But that won’t work on a RHD rack so I suspect they use the stock GT rhd cooler, possibly supplemented by an air/oil rad. Until someone puts one on the ramps and photographs it we won’t know. The thought of fords doing a special part for a handful of £70k RHD Mach 1 sales is laughable when they didn’t even bother with the wipers or cup holder conversion on ALL models of RHD mustang.
Sponsored