Reving to high RPM bad for the engine?

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I wait till the welds on my floor board start coming out and my laptop warns me about manifold danger.
Just close the lappy and your good to keep going.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Gas millage not everyone can afford to drive with 6MPG every day.
Going above 2K RPM does not result in 6MPGs. I drive my car like I stole it, and I still get 18MPGs.

Stop being such a drama queen. And if you can't afford the gas, why did you buy the car?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....it is what it is.
No, it's not "it is what it is".

It's what YOU are doing to/with it. It's YOU, not the car, and not Ford's software, it's YOU.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
How long to you keep high rpms for during regular driving? I mean do u go up on rpms and shift right away or tend to hold a gear for certain rpm longer.

I don't shift any gear under 3k. First gear is very short even for my 3.55s . I don't hold any gear at a certain rpm before shifting. I just shift when it gets to that rpm range. My car does not shift well unless the rpms are above 3k Third gear will actually give me a slight wall under 3k. Second reason I shift at higher rpms is because the damn car is a slug if I don't. It just bogs down. ESPECIALLY with the AC on.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
What a silly 5 pages. Around town I usually shift at 3k RPMS. I get between 18-22 MPG (calculated not going off display) which is fine by me. There are times I have to shift in the lower gears at 4k RPMS so I don't get rear ended starting from a red light. The car is a dog under 3k rpms and I would suspect lugging the engine around is worst than having it in the power band.

Of course taking the engine to 7k+ rpms every shift is going to cause more wear on the car than shifting at 3,500. I'm sure Ford didn't offer a warranty with the idea that for 59,999 miles the car would be shifted at 7,250 all day long.

This platform (I have 3.73's) gets AWESOME mileage for what it is. A relatively heavy, 460hp, high revving V8. Complaining about a 2-4 MPG delta between "easy" and "fast" driving is silly on a car like this.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Going above 2K RPM does not result in 6MPGs. I drive my car like I stole it, and I still get 18MPGs.

Stop being such a drama queen. And if you can't afford the gas, why did you buy the car?
My MPG is 15 actually. As my avg is 15.3 L/100 km with translate to 15 MPG. I don't know how yours is 18 MPG. But overall as i said I shift when the green light is telling me to. I don't find fun in driving irresponsibly on the street like you because on 2nd 6500 rpm is over 100 kmh or 62 mph which is just way over my speed limit of 50 kmh. So if I feel like it I stay at first after a stop light to my speed limit. But overall driving a car as you stole it is sure not how ford intended to drive your car (again green light). I also spend over 400$ a month on gas so clearly I can afford it lol.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Wow, this thread went crazy. Couple of thoughts

1. Its your car, drive it the way you want.
2. Why would I drive it like I stole it...….you stick out like a sore thumb and become a ticket magnet. How about drive it under the radar! So much better and more fun!
3. Great drivers make the poorest designed cars drive. Poor drivers in the best designed cars are a …….well you get what I am saying.

Reactions: A7X

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
But overall as i said I shift when the green light is telling me to.
I've never seen an upshift indicator light illuminate in my instrument panel. Mine is a 2018 GT Premium with the manual transmission (without Performance Pack). Is this something Ford only installs in exported Mustangs?

I've had other cars with upshift indicators and they all would have me in 6th gear by 45mph- including the 2014 Porsche 981 Cayman I traded in for the Mustang.

dirtysanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Export cars for Australia have the green arrow as well. It is designed as the shift point for best ECONOMY. That is all it is. It is dependent on engine load.