Sponsored

Reving to high RPM bad for the engine?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking for a car to be long lasting and have 350,000+ on it go buy a Duromax. Otherwise drive the heck out of it, enjoy it.

What hurts the Coyote most is consistent banging off the rev limiter. The OPG does not like that. Blipping the rev limiter isn't the same thing. I am talking about flat footing the gas pedal and missing a shift while trying speed shift like a pro or sitting on the starting line (or a stop light for some) with the pedal flat footed banging the rev limiter like some ass-jack (that's a technical term for the PC sensitive crowd - sarcasm) in a ricer Honda.
Those guys at cars shows who do the flat-footed thing make me cringe. I've been waiting for one to go boom.

I rarely hit 7k, honestly. By the time I row through a couple of gears to 5-6k I'm already flirting with getting a speeding ticket.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Bouncing off the rev limiter isn't the best thing to do, but I think you're fine revving these engines out to 7k, or 7500/7600 if you have an 18 manifold or 18+ Mustang. As long as you do it in moderation, you'll be fine.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Those guys at cars shows who do the flat-footed thing make me cringe. I've been waiting for one to go boom.

I rarely hit 7k, honestly. By the time I row through a couple of gears to 5-6k I'm already flirting with getting a speeding ticket.
You sir are the right person to buy a used car off of lol.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes, high RPMs are bad for the engine. But once the engine is warmed up, it's not that bad for it. Use the engine in its main power band when you are accelerating hard. That's where the engine was designed to be used.

IMO what's really bad is wide open throttle at very low RPMs (lugging the engine). Don't ever do that, especially in higher gears. To me that means under 2,500-3,000 RPMs you should go easy on the throttle.

This.

Bad for the engine can mean many things. Get the car up to temp, go for it.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Don't go to an NMRA event then. Coyote stock -- and believe me they are stock -- are leaving on the rev limiter at 8000+ if I recall correctly. The engines have to remain all stock except for the filter intake tune as I recall. At the beginning of each round an official comes through and reflashes every ECU with the same tune -- a tune created for that class which allows way higher rev limits. Those cars, mostly foxbodies due to the weight leave like screaming demons on steroids...wheels up and banging through the gears. They run mid 10's and faster on an all engine setup -- and mind you a STOCK ENGINE for that class. Seals are placed on the engine and they are inspected after every round. If tampered with you are disqualified. The only time an engine can be opened is upon request by an official who suspects foul play is at hand.

I had the shift points on my setup lowered from 7800 to 7000 only to assure the car shifts correctly so we can datalog at the track and sneak back up on a 7500 RPM WOT shift point. My last car shifted all the time at 7300. It's now driven by a friends fiance who drives it harder than I do and its her daily.

Keep in mind the 15+ engine has forged internals unlike 14 and older. They can take a lot of beating. Have fun.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Beat that engine like a red-headed step-child that owes you money.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
What's the point of buying a high revving V8 if you don't want to wring it out?

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Then I'm surprised my v8 is still going strong after 60k+ miles of "high revving" wear and tear.

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
-I have been shifting gears below 3k rpms but acceleration doesn't feel as quick but I don't want to stress and wear my engine parts early by rapid acceleration.
-What is a happy medium and at what rpms you all change gears usually?
Shifting below 3k RPM? Am I reading that correctly? It doesn’t feel as quick because it is not quick, nor is it good, running there. Open it up. If you don’t want to redline, shift before 7k. It will run all day long between 6,500 and 7,000. That’s where the fun is. Use the Motorcraft oil or a good synthetic and keep it clean. You won’t hurt anything but your ego if you’re not winding the Coyote out.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Then I'm surprised my v8 is still going strong after 60k+ miles of "high revving" wear and tear.
Any engine can take 60k miles of abuse. Even old Hyundai engines. The real test is when you get far into the 6 digits like 200k miles. Nobody said these engines wouldn't last. I linked this picture to another thread, but there are 2011 and 2012 Coyote motors that are starting to get high mileage. A guy on Facebook has 258k miles on his 2011 Coyote. That's a testament to how solid these motors really are.
Screenshot_20190813-105200_Facebook.jpg

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Everyone I encounter on surface streets in a 5.0 seems to be driving them in 2nd gear. Would've never thought you'd need to rap out a V8 that much just to drive in traffic. Must not be too bad for it. I'm just glad I'm not buying their gas.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
lmao 5
Any engine can take 60k miles of abuse. Even old Hyundai engines. The real test is when you get far into the 6 digits like 200k miles. Nobody said these engines wouldn't last. I linked this picture to another thread, but there are 2011 and 2012 Coyote motors that are starting to get high mileage. A guy on Facebook has 258k miles on his 2011 Coyote. That's a testament to how solid these motors really are.
Screenshot_20190813-105200_Facebook.jpg
im sure almost any car can last that long if taken care of

Then you have idiots out there that dont change their oil/brakes/tires for 60k miles and wonder why their car has gone to shit.

I'm sure i read on reddit somewhere someone's husband kept the spare keyfob in the center console of a car and when this lady took her car to get service and the tech asked for the keys she said the car doesn't use keys, it opens by itself.

god help these people lol

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Formula one engines and Nascar engines rev high and the drivers rev them like crazy therefore they need to be rebuilt after each race. Eventually if we keep reving out our coyote it will cause more heat and premature piston wear. Also you can wear out internal parts like timing chains and also engine accessories like waterpumps.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Hey if you want to buy a performance car to drive it like a grandma, nobody is stopping you.

Running, compared to walking, is worse for your knees, but that isn't going to stop a runner from running.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Formula one engines and Nascar engines rev high and the drivers rev them like crazy therefore they need to be rebuilt after each race. Eventually if we keep reving out our coyote it will cause more heat and premature piston wear. Also you can wear out internal parts like timing chains and also engine accessories like waterpumps.
The same can be said for any engine. But I'd wager the Coyote is better built for higher RPMs than most engines.
Sponsored