Sponsored

Review: Shaftmasters Direct Bolt-in Aluminum Driveshaft P/N FMS1517GTM35D

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
bought a Dynotech, first shot in and was flawless. Also, it was easier to install (no trans adapter plate, easier to get to bolts and torque).
Couldn't agree more. My Dynotech was flawless as well.
Did i mention its for sale in the for sale section.... :)
Sponsored

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Update for this thread - the shaftmasters shaft I got had a vibe I couldn't shake (heh heh), but shaftmasters accepted the return within 30 days with no hassles, no headaches. David at Shaftmasters even sent a followup email saying some burrs on the pinion mount may have caused the vibration. I don't think I caused the burrs during install or removal, but I should have inspected the flanges more carefully before install to be sure everything was perfectly flat. So if you're on the fence, it's a very low risk mod - just out to lose your labor doing the install/uninstall and return shipping if it doesn't work for you. These are stand-up people who stand behind their product, and I would buy from again in a heartbeat.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Update for this thread - the shaftmasters shaft I got had a vibe I couldn't shake (heh heh), but shaftmasters accepted the return within 30 days with no hassles, no headaches. David at Shaftmasters even sent a followup email saying some burrs on the pinion mount may have caused the vibration. I don't think I caused the burrs during install or removal, but I should have inspected the flanges more carefully before install to be sure everything was perfectly flat. So if you're on the fence, it's a very low risk mod - just out to lose your labor doing the install/uninstall and return shipping if it doesn't work for you. These are stand-up people who stand behind their product, and I would buy from again in a heartbeat.

So what shaft did you go with ?
Any issue with the new one ?

Inquiring minds need to know,,,,I am stll undecided between Dynotech and Shaftmasters

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
So what shaft did you go with ?
Any issue with the new one ?

Inquiring minds need to know,,,,I am stll undecided between Dynotech and Shaftmasters
Detailed in another thread. Running the dynotech now; it's much better but still not 100% perfect. Temping to throw the stock shaft back in since it didn't have any vibes.

dfkline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Pack
I installed a Shaftmaster's shaft last week and could not be happier. My car is a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack with manual transmission and MGW X-Spec Low Profile Shifter. I ran the car up to 80 with no vibration I could detect. There is a more solid, or connected, feel which is probably due to having no rubber doughnut and no CV joint. That's my two cents.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Gentlemen,

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but if you have vibrations after installing a single piece d.s. you might be interested in this other thread. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/driveshaft-vibration.120086/
Also look up any posts I had in the drivetrain vibration thread under TSB, RECALLS, ETC.

Pinion angle vibrations almost always occur in an intermediate gear at low speeds when accelerating or decelerating (as the diff changes angle in the cradle). Even without pinion angle issues, aftermarket d.s. on the S550 IRS cars are hit or miss for harmonic vibration. It can be solved when it happens, but it is more the rule than the exception. Remember, the ds and flange are supposed to be a matched set. Putting in a new ds, no matter how well it is balanced, is almost guaranteed to be a mismatch for your flange. Balance isn't the only issue - there's also radial runout (wobble) in the flange and ds that have to be taken into consideration.

If the flange can be removed from the car and balanced with the driveshaft as an assembly you are almost guaranteed smooth operation (unless there are pinion angle problems, which is another issue).

Ford has a vibration damper piece that bolts to the differential that will help some. It’s std. on the ‘18 up cars. The later cars also have an improved pinion flange that likely has more precision selection and balancing, and a better fit into the mating hub of the rear diff.

I have been around the world with this problem on IRS Mustangs since 1999 and I know what I'm talking about. I really do want to help people with this problem because it can be extremely frustrating unless you are familiar with all the variables.

You are welcome to PM me and we can set up a time to chat about it.

Last edited:

dfkline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Pack
A follow-up on the Shaftmasters' driveshaft I installed the end of April this year. After driving my car under just about every speed and road condition, except at the track, I can say I have detected no additional vibration and MAYBE some very slight additional noise at below 60 MPH. I can't tell if this is the driveshaft or it in combination with the MGW shifter and the Whiteline transmission insert. Don't expect a noticeable difference in performance, just firm, positive and very solid shifts. I am completely satisfied with the Shaftmaster driveshaft.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Very happy with my Shaftmasters too. Much more direct feeling, power is more instantaneous.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I guess I can update this too.
I had one of the original Shaftmasters. I had fought vibrations for months but eventually it was perfect. Later I got a blower and the same time I had massive vibrations. I had done all kinds of things to try and fix it but finally took it to a local shop and they said it was bent.
I believe my drivers side diff bushing failed and bent the shaft. I have fixed the bushings since and installed a new DSS unit with zero issues.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
We all hate to hear about the consequences of a bent shaft.

jpadilla05.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt
Hi I didnt want to make a new thread, but I have a question. On your install was the front of the driveshaft flush with the flang? Mine seems to be sticking out a bit I'll upload a pic so you can see just wondering if that's how it supposed to sit thanks
20190531_175926.jpg

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
They will stick out a little like in your pic, BUT, they should all be the same, which I can't tell from the angle of your pic.

jpadilla05.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt
They will stick out a little like in your pic, BUT, they should all be the same, which I can't tell from the angle of your pic.
Yea they are all the same, just wanted to get some feed back m make sure I didnt do anything wrong (even tho I put it on n took it off 3 times lol)
Sponsored