Sponsored

Review of the CV Fabrication 3" Catted Downpipe

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
First off need to recognize that this is a company that is going to make a difference that some of the high dollar people need to take note on. They have a price point that is fair and quality that is 2nd to none. Add to that an exceptional support/sales teams that actually respond and listen and you have the makings of a company that has no choice but to succeed.

The Downpipe and all related goodies arrived in a big box. Everything was packaged well to prevent damage during shipping.

unbox-jpg.jpg

Just look at this shinny stainless stuff work or art!!

downpipe-jpg.jpg

Snazzy name plate..

cvf-jpg.jpg

Man that CAT has some polish! I can see myself… think I need to shave Check our those welds!

weld1-jpg.jpg

Even the flex pipe is clean. Welds again are nice!

weld2-jpg.jpg

How about a stock compare? What a difference!!

compare-jpg.jpg

So on to the installation. I would suggest the following for tools:

15mm Deep and shallow. 3/8 or ½ drive. I used 3/8 drive on the top end just because it was smaller and easier to get into places. This is used at the turbo, the clamp to the “suit case” and then provided clamp.

13mm Deep or shallow. This is for the lower bracket that is attached to the transmission area.

Ratcheting wrenches in both the above sizes are handy as well.

7/8 wrench or a O2 sensor wrench.

Small tube of Anti-Seize.

Jack and Jack stands.

Patience

Beer – come on.. gotta celebrate!!

This really is an easy install. You can watch a few vids on You Tube ( I suggest CJ Pony Parts as Bill has some good info to pull from).

Make sure you put the O2 sensors in the right place. Green up top and Grey down low. Make sure and put a little anti-seize on the threads when putting them in the new CVF pipe.

You will want to use that “patience” tool when attaching to the pipe to the turbo. You will NOT reuse the donut gasket that you see in all the other install videos. CVF provides a flat gasket so that you just need to make sure you don’t get it out of sorts and make sure it is not in a bind as you get the nuts tightened. I do suggest that you apply a little WD40 to the bolts going into the turbo and then running the nuts down all the way to clean the threads before starting to put the pipe in place. It just helps things easy and you are better able to tell that you are not jut working against some dirt or rust when things start feeling tight. I also did all the work at the turbo side from the top of the car. Much easier to get to for me.

You can move down below now and attach the transmission bracket. Just put it in place to help hold things but no need to tighten anything down.

Move to the back and attach the 3” to stock “small” adapter for those of us still using the stock cat back. Once everything is in place go back and start to tighten things up.

Take pictures and revel in your handy work and share with others the new art work you have installed!!

install1-jpg.jpg

install2-jpg.jpg

Fire it up and check for leaks!

Now use that “BEER” tool and celebrate!!

You will notice a lot more turbo noise now and If you are running the stock cat-back it will have a little more rumble. You will also notice some seat of the pants change as well. I am only running the Cobb Stage 1 right now but there is already a big difference with each part I have installed. Can’t wait to see what it is like when I replace the IC.

Again, the quality is excellent and the price is affordable. (Not going to say ch*** because that word does not belong on these products. It would be an insult.) You will not have to take something out of your kid’s collage fund just to pay for this. If you are looking for a company to get behind and support then CV Fabrication deserves your attention for sure. Have not decided if I will stay with the stock cat-back or after market (MBRP Street). CVF will get that purchase as well as I like dealing with a company that puts the customer first. The parts that I have been sent and the service that I have received have been top notch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Awesome review man, I'll be going with them when I purchase one of these down the road. I agree prices are very reasonable and nothing but glowing reviews from everyone.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome review man, I'll be going with them when I purchase one of these down the road. I agree prices are very reasonable and nothing but glowing reviews from everyone.
I'm running the CVF downpipe on my 2018 and its worth every penny. Price is cheaper and quality is better than their competitors IMHO. The sound of this downpipe combined with the MBRP Race catback exhaust is just... WOW! I did have to modify the CVF 3" to 2.25" adapter to make it 3" to 3", but I just used that as an opportunity to put a V-Band clamp in place at the same time. I can drop my exhaust in less than 5 minutes in the driveway now.

OP
OP

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
How is the sound on the Race version? I have been thinking I would go the Street version just to tone it down some. Are you getting any drone on the Race?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How is the sound on the Race version? I have been thinking I would go the Street version just to tone it down some. Are you getting any drone on the Race?
There is a bit of drone at certain speeds when you hit the right harmonics. Its very tolerable in my opinion, and my wife has no issues with it either. At first I did have a horrible harmonic vibration from my doors, which I discovered to be the active noise cancellation. Once I turned it off with Forscan, it went away. The other thing to note was that as time went on and the exhaust "seasoned", the tone got deeper and sounded even better than when it was first installed.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Keep in mind of you plan on going to tracks with sound limits you may not want the race version.

OP
OP

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
Ok.. so I got the dreaded CEL. But honestly I expected it. From what I have seen it is a hit or miss thing to happen no matter who's downpipe you go with. Any suggestions on the O2 spacer to use. I know it will need to be one that is angled. Just want to get an idea of what everyone else has been using.

Thanks

Last edited:

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok.. so I got the dreaded CEL. But honestly I expected it. From what I have seen it is a hit or miss thing to happen no matter who's downpipe you go with. Any suggestions on the O2 spacer to use. I know it will need to be one that is angled. Just want to get an idea of what everyone else has been using.

Thanks
I did also. I installed this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQ7972O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used the medium sized restrictor of the three. No more CEL.

OP
OP

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
Any issues with getting that one installed? I have noticed it is tight by the rear sensor. Also, which direction did you end having it facing?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any issues with getting that one installed? I have noticed it is tight by the rear sensor. Also, which direction did you end having it facing?
No problem at all, plenty of room. Have it facing rear.

Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That one came up in my search also, but when I looked at the product pictures side by side, I went for the Vibrant version based on how much more durable it looked from a materials standpoint and also that I had measured the space and knew it would fit with no problems. I didn't care that it wasn't shiny and all the extra pieces resulting in extra joints wasn't something I wanted either. So, I paid more, but I'm happy with the results. No wrong way here if it fixes your problem and you aren't reduced to eating ramen noodles for a week. :)

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
The NON-catted version has the built in defouler piece to screen in the O2 sensor. Wonder if it's better to get it NON-catted or be ready with this add on part you got on Amazon the catted version?

OP
OP

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
I think the real question for the non-catted version is going to be - Can you pass emissions? That is the sole reason I went with catted. Mine is a daily driver so need to make sure that I get past all the inspection nonsense. It is an easy and cheap fix to add the spacer.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
What does the cat provide if still get cel? Seems like non catted with built in 90 would be best? The emissions testing is looking for codes and not sniffing?
Sponsored