Sponsored

Review Ford Racing Street Handling Pack on 2016 Base GT

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
Central Coast of CA (20 min from Laguna Seca :-)
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Ingot Silver, 3.55, Black Appearance
Ok, first review of the Street Handling Pack.

1. Installation wasn't the easiest. Here's a tip -- to get the rear springs in, you essentially have to take off the whole lower control arms. Make sure you keep track of the right torque specs. Since there are four rubber bushings per control arm, you need to torque the lower control arm bolts under load. That is, you put the wheels back on after install, lower the car on the wheels, and then torque the lower control arm bolts to spec. It is a bit tricky, since you have already put lock-tite on about 30-45 minutes prior.

2. Many of the pieces seem to be exactly the same as I already had on my base GT. The only options I had on my care were 3.55 gears, and the black appearance pack. This pack includes 19" wheels. I wonder if it also includes PP rear shocks, toe links and sway bars, because these looked exactly the same as what was in the Street Pack. The fronts components were different. And, of course, all of the springs were the 5300-x lowering springs.

3. Handling is SIGNIFICANTLY better than both the base GT suspension, and the PP suspension without the lowering springs. I remember the PP being bumpier than my base, and this feels about the same. The lowering springs also make it a bit bumpier still, but the handling is fantastic now. It is definitely livable from a harshness perspective, and I think my daughter and wife will be fine (will keep you posted, here). However, I am very glad I didn't go with the Track Pack, as I already find this to be the limit of the harshness I want for street driving. This is a daily driver, with the family, and anything more would have been just too much.

I will update after I get an alignment (pulls a bit to the right now), and more seat time.

Craig
Sponsored

OctopusWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP & AP
Since so many of the parts in the Track Pack are the exact same as in the Performance Pack, (per Ford Performance only the springs are different) I'm curious to know why you think this package is better than the Performance Pack? Do you think just adding lowering springs in turn makes the rest of the pack?
This is a real interesting observation, it's caught my attention, as I have the Performance Pack but am about to upgrade to the Track Pack; your observations here suggest to me anyways that just swapping out the springs would really represent an upgrade and bring the package to life.

OP
OP

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Since so many of the parts in the Track Pack are the exact same as in the Performance Pack, (per Ford Performance only the springs are different) I'm curious to know why you think this package is better than the Performance Pack? Do you think just adding lowering springs in turn makes the rest of the pack?
This is a real interesting observation, it's caught my attention, as I have the Performance Pack but am about to upgrade to the Track Pack; your observations here suggest to me anyways that just swapping out the springs would really represent an upgrade and bring the package to life.

I currently only have a base GT, non-PP. To be honest, I really think the dashboard gauges are silly. My plan was to upgrade my own suspension and brakes.

You are right that what I now have is the PP suspension with 5300-x lowering springs. Many reviews of the springs suggest that using 5300-x gets rid of the bounciness that you get with the standard PP set up. If your goal is to have a track monster, go for the track pack. If you goal is to have a fun street car that really handles curves, go for the street pack. (Just my opinion, take it or leave it. :-)

Craig

BobbyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT
No, The Track Pack isn't the same as the Performance Pack that you can buy with the car. The Performance Pack is the same as the Street Pack, which the OP bought.

The Track Pack has different parts from the Performance Pack, with the exception of the Toe Links. The shocks, springs, sway bars in the Track Pack are different from the Performance Pack.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
No, The Track Pack isn't the same as the Performance Pack that you can buy with the car. The Performance Pack is the same as the Street Pack, which the OP bought.

The Track Pack has different parts from the Performance Pack, with the exception of the Toe Links. The shocks, springs, sway bars in the Track Pack are different from the Performance Pack.
Absolutely correct. I missed that, and thought they were talking about the Street Pack. Thanks for the catch.

Craig

OctopusWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP & AP
Good catch, yes, I was referring to the Street and Performance being the same, but had Track on my mind.
Base<Street, Street=Performance, Performance<Track is how I think of it, although I am sure some will argue one way or the toher.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Hey sorry to bring this back a bit from the dead, but the
I think my daughter and wife will be fine
sounds like my situation and I would love to hear a 2 month update. Thanks.
Sponsored