Sponsored

Rev Match with 3.31 gears?

svtecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have an N/A 2017 Mustang with 6-speed and 3.31 gears, does anyone have any suggestions on how to better rev-match with these gears. I feel like I can't ever blip the throttle enough and then the shifts are jerky 6th to 5th is difficult, but I've never been able to nail a 6th to 4th, I admit, I'm not the best manual driver. I do have a Civic with a 5-speed manual (I realize it's a different animal), but I can do silky rev-matches with no issues. Is it the 3.31's or is it the Mustang in general or me :cool:
Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
It's you. Blip harder. 6th to any other gear is tough because it's a 0.65 ratio overdrive and 5th is 1.00. It's a big difference in engine speed to match. 5th to 3rd or 4th should be much easier. Also, it has nothing to do with with rear end gearing, that just changes what vehicle speed these shifts are happening at.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sounds like you're having issue getting enough of a blip to make it smooth.

Maybe a tune that enhances throttle sensitivity will help you get more of a blip. That or just pressing harder on the gas pedal.

OP
OP

svtecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's you. Blip harder. 6th to any other gear is tough because it's a 0.65 ratio overdrive and 5th is 1.00. It's a big difference in engine speed to match. 5th to 3rd or 4th should be much easier. Also, it has nothing to do with with rear end gearing, that just changes what vehicle speed these shifts are happening at.
Yeah that's my big problem 6th-5th! I'm glad to hear it's me and not the gears, just need much more practice.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Why do you want to rev match between 6th and 5th? For any performance use, you should never get to 6th. And if you are just cruising on the highway why bother rev matching?

Actually I find it much more difficult to (heal & toe) rev match when not driving the car hard, at higher RPM's. And at lower RPM's, any miss match should be small.

Sponsored

OP
OP

svtecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why do you want to rev match between 6th and 5th? For any performance use, you should never get to 6th. And if you are just cruising on the highway why bother rev matching?

Actually I find it much more difficult to (heal & toe) rev match when not driving the car hard, at higher RPM's. And at lower RPM's, any miss match should be small.
let’s say I’m driving at around 70ish speed limit is 70mph I’ll be driving in 6th, and I want to have fun and pass someone, That’s when I’d go from 6th to 5th and rev match. So would you suggest not attempting to rev match and gently down shift to 5th or maybe if I want to have fun, since these cars like to rev, keep it in 5th instead of going into 6th.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
And if you are just cruising on the highway why bother rev matching?
Because if you don't match the revs you'll get an unpleasant jerk.
You can, of course, avoid that jerk by engaging the clutch very slowly and smoothly, but that isn't a healthy habit in the long run, as it accelerates clutch wear. You'd be practically asking the clutch to match the revs itself by slipping.

let’s say I’m driving at around 70ish speed limit is 70mph I’ll be driving in 6th, and I want to have fun and pass someone, That’s when I’d go from 6th to 5th and rev match. So would you suggest not attempting to rev match and gently down shift to 5th or maybe if I want to have fun, since these cars like to rev, keep it in 5th instead of going into 6th.
I think 70 mph is a bit too early for sixth. I would be in fifth at that speed. But no matter, let's say you're in sixth and want to downshift. I would suggest you do your best to match the revs. It's better for the clutch and driveline, smoother for the passenger, and feels extremely rewarding when you get it right.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have an N/A 2017 Mustang with 6-speed and 3.31 gears, does anyone have any suggestions on how to better rev-match with these gears. I feel like I can't ever blip the throttle enough and then the shifts are jerky 6th to 5th is difficult, but I've never been able to nail a 6th to 4th, I admit, I'm not the best manual driver. I do have a Civic with a 5-speed manual (I realize it's a different animal), but I can do silky rev-matches with no issues. Is it the 3.31's or is it the Mustang in general or me :cool:
As mentioned, you just have to kick the gas a little harder.

You might find it helpful to double-clutch at least this 6 to 5 downshift. People are going to tell you that you don't have to do this, but double-clutching does make a lot of downshifts go more smoothly.

Norm

OP
OP

svtecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As mentioned, you just have to kick the gas a little harder.

You might find it helpful to double-clutch at least this 6 to 5 downshift. People are going to tell you that you don't have to do this, but double-clutching does make a lot of downshifts go more smoothly.

Norm
thanks for the info, so to confirm double clutch would be press the clutch but it in neutral, let off the clutch and then give it gas, then clutch back in, shift?

I did practice a little, it’s also trying to learn where the revs need to be. It seems like I was in 6th at 2200RPM and then to go into to 5th I needed to be around 3100RPM.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
thanks for the info, so to confirm double clutch would be press the clutch but it in neutral, let off the clutch and then give it gas, then clutch back in, shift?
Yes. Doing so gets everything up to the rpms needed (goes a tiny bit easier on the synchros) and likely helps you give enough of a rev-kick.

I did practice a little, it’s also trying to learn where the revs need to be. It seems like I was in 6th at 2200RPM and then to go into to 5th I needed to be around 3100RPM.
Sounds about right. But don't get obsess over tach readings or mental math. You want your downshift rev matching to become nearly as instinctive as upshift rev-matching is (rev matching is exactly what you're doing when you make a lift-throttle upshift).

Norm

Last edited:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Don't worry about all that garbage. The reason you are having trouble is that you are switching back and forth with the Civic. Rev matching is all about feel and practice and those two cars respond differently when you poke the throttle.

If you can do it in the Honda, you can do it in the Mustang too.
Sponsored