Sponsored

Retaining paddle shifters with aftermarket steering wheel?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Ya know I may have had more of a light hearted spirit about the “jokes” if I received any sort of actual answer or helpful info (even if it was a simple: no one has done it or tried) before the jokes started. Instead I got multiple lectures on how I am making the car less safe and endangering my life as if I didn’t already know that. Also, people keep saying there are “better looking wheels that have all the stock steering wheel functions”. In your opinion it looks better, not mine. And I’m pretty sure I said in my original post that I couldn’t care less about any of the steering wheel functions besides the paddle shifters.
If it's never been done before, nobody is going to hop on here and say it's never been done before because they couldn't possibly know what everybody has or has not done. But you didn't think about that, you chose to go off on everybody that didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. You can't get mad at them for making a joke about it, your request is absurd to any rational person.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Ya know I may have had more of a light hearted spirit about the “jokes” if I received any sort of actual answer or helpful info (even if it was a simple: no one has done it or tried) before the jokes started. Instead I got multiple lectures on how I am making the car less safe and endangering my life as if I didn’t already know that. Also, people keep saying there are “better looking wheels that have all the stock steering wheel functions”. In your opinion it looks better, not mine. And I’m pretty sure I said in my original post that I couldn’t care less about any of the steering wheel functions besides the paddle shifters.
Because what you are asking for makes no logical sense at all.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Here ya go. Get 2 of these:
http://www.emyloworld.com/products/details-30-175.html

Find the shift up/down control wires in the harness, terminate them at each relay module. Attach remote to either side of the wheel. Velcro? Duct tape?

If I were actually into such a nutty idea, I'd probably take the guts out of the remotes and adapt my own buttons and housings so it would at least look like it was done on purpose.

I especially like this reassuring graphic from the ad:
1555039637870103.jpg

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you want some cheese to go with your wine?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Here ya go. Get 2 of these:
http://www.emyloworld.com/products/details-30-175.html

Find the shift up/down control wires in the harness, terminate them at each relay module. Attach remote to either side of the wheel. Velcro? Duct tape?

If I were actually into such a nutty idea, I'd probably take the guts out of the remotes and adapt my own buttons and housings so it would at least look like it was done on purpose.

I especially like this reassuring graphic from the ad:
1555039637870103.jpg
That's awesome! I just pictured a Mustang filled with relaxed people driving along with one of those playground steering wheels and a couple of these zip-tied to the spokes.

Sponsored

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
So a legit answer for you.

several companies make aftermarket paddle shifter assemblies. They start at around $450 for a Works Bell assembly, and go up from there. Cruise control will be lost along with all other functions.

a couple things you need to make that work though. And this will be you biggest hurdle. You need a steering wheel hub adaptor that retains the stock clock spring. I can not state that enough! No clock spring, no work! Next you need some basic wiring and soldering skills. As you will cut the harness from your original wheel and solder it to the new paddle assembly. Also you will need to find the resistance of the air bag module so you can fool the SRS system into thinking it is still there. Or else you will have a SRS fault.

As for not having an airbag, your choice. I drove my spec Miata for 10 years as a daily. It had a NRG wheel and full cage. Yet when I got in a head on collision in my Toyota Celica it was the air bag that allowed me to walk out of the car without a scratch.

just my .o2
Sponsored