bitterXend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Coupé, US model
Hi,

I'm the lucky owner of a new car, which happens to be a used 2016 Mustang GT with the Premium package and Sync 2.

As I like my modern technologies I am now in the process of upgrading the head unit to either Sync 3 or an Android based one. So far I would prefer the Android one as it opens way more possibilities for people who like to tinker around with that kind of stuff.

The issue I have now is that the head unit of choice does not support the factory backup camera, which is kind of a dealbreaker for me as I don't want to drill new holes to install a camera while I have a perfectly fine one.
I have found camera retention harnesses on the internet, none for Sync systems though. Neither did I find a good tutorial that explains how to retain the camera on a car that had a Sync system before.

The head unit in question would be that one

Is there anybody out here who went through that before and can give me any advice?
Sponsored

FidoInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe
Were you able to find out how to get the factory reverse camera to work on the aftermarket stereos? I'm looking to pickup a similar android unit and wondering if the factory reverse camera will work.

If not, does anyone know of a reverse camera that will fit in the factory reverse camera hole on the rear decklid? I've searched the internet but cannot find an OEM fit camera, some cars have them where they replace the license plate etc.

Thanks!

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Back about 10-12 years ago, the factory ford cameras were compatible with aftermarket systems. All you had to do was solder on an RCA type connection and plug it in to the camera port on the new head unit.

Try to find a male RCA plug and make a patch cord to go from the factory camera to the new head unit.
Sponsored