Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I've had the resonator-delete and a Steeda H-pipe for about a year.

Ungodly loud on start-up in the garage (I back in) but gorgeous and yummy. I love the rumble in Sport+ on deceleration; sounds EXACTLY like McQueen pulling up to the hotel where one of his detectives has just been shot.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've had the resonator-delete and a Steeda H-pipe for about a year.

Ungodly loud on start-up in the garage (I back in) but gorgeous and yummy. I love the rumble in Sport+ on deceleration; sounds EXACTLY like McQueen pulling up to the hotel where one of his detectives has just been shot.
I love that perfect skid into the parking spot.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"I have about 4,000 miles on my Bullitt w/an H-pipe. To me, it has the same sound as stock ... just a lot more."
The bottom line is that the X-pipe WILL provide more HP than the H-pipe. The 'downside' is that it will be at a higher RPM than you normally use in day-to-day driving. And, as indicated, the X-pipe has as raspier (think small block Chevy) sound. It's not a sound anyone (IMO) would identify w/a small block Ford. However, there is a certain segment that does like it. On my Level 2, I have a Borla S-Type exhaust system w/the Borla resonator. The system came w/an X-Pipe that I initially installed just for grins & giggles. As expected it did NOT give me the sound I was looking for in a street-driven Mustang. As an aside, I have 2nd Mustang that is a track only car & it does have the X-pipe. But, obviously, you only care about HP & not sound in that car.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
The bottom line is that the X-pipe WILL provide more HP than the H-pipe. The 'downside' is that it will be at a higher RPM than you normally use in day-to-day driving. And, as indicated, the X-pipe has as raspier (think small block Chevy) sound. It's not a sound anyone (IMO) would identify w/a small block Ford. However, there is a certain segment that does like it. On my Level 2, I have a Borla S-Type exhaust system w/the Borla resonator. The system came w/an X-Pipe that I initially installed just for grins & giggles. As expected it did NOT give me the sound I was looking for in a street-driven Mustang. As an aside, I have 2nd Mustang that is a track only car & it does have the X-pipe. But, obviously, you only care about HP & not sound in that car.
I have seen dinos of h vs x pipe. You are right. X pipe makes a few more ponies at high rpm. For this reason i put a x pipe on my 15 gt with borla exhaust. Sounded great.....but maybe a little raspy.
American muscle has a great video of x vs h pipe with active exhaust. Cj pony parts also. Consistantly h pipe had a deeper muscle car sound. The x pipe was louder ...but quite raspy.
All said.... for my ears the h pipe on the bullit is perfect. Nice deap and loud exhaust. I kept my suitcase just in case of tickets etc.
I have been a pasenger in my buds rx7 with a ford 347 v8 race car at thunderhill track. Great fun....even sliding off the track 2x. He commented that my bullit in track mode may get me black flagged for noise. Maybe too loud.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I have been a pasenger in my buds rx7 with a ford 347 v8 race car at thunderhill track. Great fun....even sliding off the track 2x. He commented that my bullit in track mode may get me black flagged for noise. Maybe too loud.
If that is true, then there should be an actual rule to look at that would tell you.

Just checked the site: Thunderhill has a DB limit of 103 for all vehicles and mufflers are required.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"He commented that my Bullitt in track mode may get me black flagged for noise. It may be too loud."
A couple of things here. CJJon is correct in that there has to be a rule in place in the supps & also a metering device at the track for you to be cited for noise. Basically there were two (2) things that brought about sound limits ... civilization encroaching around race tracks (it was too expensive for race tracks to purchase huge amounts of acreage just for a sound buffer zone) & the rotary engine!!! However, w/that said, there no reason for any competitive car to exceed track mandated sound limits. When mufflers were 1st required, the technology had pretty much stopped w/the invention of the glass pack muffler (late 1940s thru the 1960s). While fairly high tech for its time, it was very restrictive (just not nearly as much as OE mufflers back then). Over the last couple of decades dyno testing has proven that an exhaust system w/a Borla or equivalent muffler will produce MORE HP than an open pipe. More noise does not mean more HP. It's not worth towing home early from an event just because of noise when there is a very good possibility of producing more HP w/LESS noise.

And a couple of final thoughts on improving lap times ... 1) install adjustable stabilizer bars front AND rear & 2) get someone who is a very good driver at that track (&, obviously, someone you can trust) to take your Mustang (or whatever) out for a few laps. If he/she is consistently three (3) or more seconds faster per lap than you, don't even think about investing another nickle into your car cuz you are just wasting a lot of $$$ for nothing. Anybody can drive fast down a straight, but a smooth driver can go even faster due to better exit speeds.

petronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1972 Vette, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T, 2000 Miata, 2017 Escape
I installed the steeda h pipe. Drove it for a month or so and went back to stock for now. It was still quiet in quiet mode, but significantly loud in all other modes. It is a much deeper rumble with suitcase muffler on, and to me sounds more like an old school mustang with glass packs, as Ford tuned the Bullitt to sound. With the h pipe it sounds much louder, but less deep. I do like the sound with the h pipe, as it sounds more modern, but I bought a Bullitt, so also like the more retro sound stock. I plan to keep the h pipe and will probably reinstall again when I get bored of the more subdued old school sound.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I like modern V8 sound, and I think my Bullitt sounds just like that, but deeper than any other V8 I've ever heard. I much prefer that over a raspy tone, which that's what you get with most other modern V8s, including other Mustangs. Mine doesn't sound 'lopey', like old school muscle cars, which I don't like. It sounds incredible; that's why I wouldn't change anything even if I was paid a grand to do that :). But to each his own, or course :).

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sanjay
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M
did it to my 2016 GT, and been thinking of doing it to the BULLITT. i put an X-pipe on the 2016, but wondering who has done the H-pipe? and what are the differences? I have heard H-pipes are raspier. I know our exhaust is different from other GT's, but would it be the same pipe? and how nasty did the exhaust note become if anything at all?
I put in a Steeda h-pipe with a resonator delete and it's quite noticeable. It's lower in the rumble which is fantastic, but when even hitting near 4k rpm, it begins to scream.

It's fantastic and highly recommended. $320 with install at a local shop.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
I was watching outlaw sprint cars on tv. Socal. 95 db on that track. They were using flowmasters to keep the db down.
Sponsored