Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I daily my car in Normal mode most of the time. Shifting in Sport seems okay during occasional use.
On track I tend to use both fully auto and paddle modes.

Should I reset the trans for a fresh learn mode prior to track day?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I always use the paddles on track and they work great, so the learning feature of the unit is meaningless for me.

Also, resetting it right before getting on track might be a bad idea as it's going to be going through the learning process as you're beating the piss out of it. If you reset it a few days before the track day, well then it will learn your street habits which are meaningless for the track.

IMO, just use the paddles and don't worry about what it learned. Your eyes and brain are a much better learner than the auto computer.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I sort of agree with EFI but sort of don't. I haven't seen the logic within the A10 controller but from what I have read, the A10 controller isn't exactly a slow learner. Personally I wouldn't do it but I would think blanking it before a less than flat out track session (meaning several laps where you aren't trying for a world record) would get the computer close to what you want. Next session, you can push harder. Reason I wouldn't do it is unless you drive like a grandma, I have a feeling it won't be a huge difference on the track than if you kept your current settings.

Paddles are good for when the computer makes a bad call or you are anticipating a shift the computer has no way of calculating which I think EFI was getting at. The A10 controller isn't an F1 level controller nor is the A10 an F1 level transmission. If you are an F1 level driver, I'm certain it will seem like a slug and you would use paddles 100% of the time. For a novice, keeping it in auto will likely keep you out of trouble and keep you from damaging your car (or someone else's). Safety before speed, know your limits.

Either way, have fun đź‘Ť

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
My a10 gt is a racecar. It has a kill switch to cut all power when not in use. You can cut power zero out whatever in the ecu or a10 learned block memory and turn the power on start up car and race.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The A10 controller isn't an F1 level controller nor is the A10 an F1 level transmission. If you are an F1 level driver
I'm pretty sure noone in their right mind would expect a 40k car to come with an F1 level transmission. Heck, even 911 GT3RSs and their famed PDKs are technically not on the level of an F1 transmission either. I'm also pretty sure there's virtually noone driving Mustangs that's on the level of an F1 driver. So while your point is certainly valid, it's not really relevant for a Mustang discussion.

Even for an experienced non-professional driver (which I assume 99.9% of us here are), the A10 with the paddles works marvelously. It's not a PDK, but it's well up there with the fastest most responsive autos on street cars.

It gets hot quickly and it may be jerky, but it works for what most of us on track want it to do.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
No needed. And if younpaddle shifting..which i strongly suggest.. You control the transmission :)

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I find that there is too much lag in the 1st to 2nd shift, and 2nd to 3rd shift. Not as bad with the other changes. In auto mode, though, it shifts pretty well. I don't think I am likely to use 2nd on the track however.

I suppose one way to compensate for the lag is to shift at a lower RPM, e.g. 5000, with my foot on the floor, and then expect it to complete the shift before redline. You know, experiment with the shift point. OTOH, there are so many things to "manage" at speed, that I am not looking for another thing to add to the list...

I know there is a thread about the Mach 1 A10 programming, but I haven't read it. Is that something I should look into further?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My Lund tune improved shifting for me. Maybe consider an aftermarket tune?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I know there is a thread about the Mach 1 A10 programming, but I haven't read it. Is that something I should look into further?
The Ford Power pack (only one available) improves the trans tuning alot, and it should be similar to what the Mach 1 comes with.

I suppose one way to compensate for the lag is to shift at a lower RPM, e.g. 5000, with my foot on the floor, and then expect it to complete the shift before redline.
That's not really going to work. If you hit the paddle at 5000, it will shift at 51-5200. Hit the paddle shortly after 7000 it will shift just below redline at 7400.

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
At NCM Sunday I used 3rd through 7th. Stayed in Sport full auto most of the day. The trans behaves pretty well so long as I am hard accelerating or hard braking. If I don't go full throttle then it upshifts too much.

As I get to know the track better I started to paddle downshift and then hold down the upshift to go back to full auto upshift on the 3 straights.

Will probably paddle shift much more next time.
Sponsored