Request for input regarding decision to trade away the pony

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
My buddy has about a 2013 Challenger RT, its his wifes daily driver, prob has 60K on it, I dont think hes had a single problem with it.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

To my surprise Consumer Reports rates the Dodge Charger as highly reccommended. Never would have thought that..
It is a 4 door though and super long, will be tough to fit into a garage being 200 inches long.. yikes..

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
To my surprise Consumer Reports rates the Dodge Charger as highly reccommended. Never would have thought that..
It is a 4 door though and super long, will be tough to fit into a garage being 200 inches long.. yikes..
They're ancient that's why haha Seriously though, they're very simple cars relatively speaking and the Hemis are known inside and out, so there's not many surprises. This generation of the Chally/Charger is 10 years old now. All the worst kinks are worked out. They're heavy SOBs but they're simple old beasts. They're not going to get you super fast lap times or light up the Tail of The Dragon like a Mustang but they'll pass anything on the highway and take you cross-country at 90mph with ease. If I could afford one, that's what I'd be driving tbh.

OP
OP

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Thanks a ton for the discussion and advice everyone. I saw a question about how i treated the car and thought i would answer because its a bad joke.
Car is a daily driver that does about 7-8k a year in total being my only car/every car and with the exception of hitting high speed on the interstate/highways NEVER does anything like track duty....not even close.
Im 44 and somewhat act my age , I have never done more than bark the tires through gears...ZERO launch control/line lock moments ZERO deliberate burnouts. I really wanted to option a supercharger after I paid it off but there is no way this car doesnt fly to pieces if I do that. I purchased the Power Pack 2 option and had the dealership install it....3 weeks later halfshaft cv joints are popping like popcorn....still no smoky burnouts just failing parts. I purchased a MGW shifter for obvious reasons and swapped to Michelin AS3+ because I daily drive it in Indiana and these are the ONLY mods to the car besides black emblems. I really am stunned at my bad luck and I know there are many good examples out there.

thanks again everyone...Im looking into the 2 series beamer and the charger in CPO form and I guess the Ford guy wants to see if we can get me into a different Mustang ....NEVER should have sold the 08 Bullitt and I cant afford the new Bullitt /sadface with small wallet

Deleted member 35786

OP good luck in your search and sorry about bad luck. It does happen across any brand though you just never know. If its still under warranty you might want to keep it for a while and see how she does.
Either way happy searching.

Thanks for clarifying whether you beat on the car or not..

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
One way to look at it is that now that you have all the bugs worked out, keeper?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I haven’t heard of much maintenance nor a high cost for it on the M240i, in fact, from what I’ve seen, it lists high on reliability charts. The RC-F is an awful car and is out of budget for the OP, Honda/Acura has no worthwhile performance cars unless mid-high 5-second 0-60 times is now considered to be comparable to his outgoing Mustang GT. I drove an IS350 F-Sport, I loved the interior, but it was painfully slow. The best Japanese alternative, IMO, for a Mustang GT in the sub-$40k range is definitely an Infiniti Q60 RS.
In the 3 years I had a M235 it was in the shop for almost 2 whole months. Never for anything major, but always for something that mattered/needed fixing. If it wasn't for the BMW loaner program that would have really sucked.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Depending on your size, and if you can give up the rear seat of the Mustang completely, I did consider the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ twins but found that the seats were pretty snug on me (6'1" ~210 lbs) and would likely have been even worse for my wife. Or, as mentioned above, a Z car, which I did not consider because I wanted a rear seat of some description. On the American side, an ATS (which I also considered but the trunk is even smaller the mine).

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
In the 3 years I had a M235 it was in the shop for almost 2 whole months. Never for anything major, but always for something that mattered/needed fixing. If it wasn't for the BMW loaner program that would have really sucked.
The M240 has a completely different engine over the 235 to my knowledge.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
Kia Stinger GT..awd problem solved .then stick a piggyback JB4 tuner on it and you have 400hp awd Sneaky car .

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Honda Accord Coupe V6! Fast, smooth, reliable and good mpg.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Stinger GT..awd problem solved .then stick a piggyback JB4 tuner on it and you have 400hp awd Sneaky car .
Out of his budget, even used, for an AWD Stinger GT(1 or 2). Otherwise, I'd agree that it would be a great choice, especially when tuned.

Last edited:

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I drove an IS350 F-Sport, I loved the interior, but it was painfully slow. The best Japanese alternative, IMO, for a Mustang GT in the sub-$40k range is definitely an Infiniti Q60 RS.
I had an IS-350 F-Sport for 2 years. Loved it mostly. Bought it intending to S/C its 1 major weakness, power. Unfortunately Lexus locked the ECUs and after 2 years of waiting for a proven solution I gave up.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an IS-350 F-Sport for 2 years. Loved it mostly. Bought it intending to S/C its 1 major weakness, power. Unfortunately Lexus locked the ECUs and after 2 years of waiting for a proven solution I gave up.
It’s a shame because it could be an amazing compact sport sedan if they’d add a dual/twin-scroll turbo on that V6... or, better yet, have kept the V8 IS-F going with the IS series redesign in 2013. It’s a little sad as the IS350 F-Sport was a great drive except for the power.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If you go Euro, get a used M235i or M240i. They’re the most reliable cars BMW makes. They are great performers too and you’re under $40k used. Low $30s for a low mi m235i. My Dad has a ‘16 235 and really likes it n not a single issue. I drove an M230i and was impressed and that’s the 4cyl.
Sponsored