Sponsored

Request for comments - MODES - Triple Amber Triple Red taillight LED upgrade kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Updated (31.03.18) 1st NSW Stang 3A3R Review

[ame]

Updated (14.03.18) - Full operations video for a closer look:

[ame]

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year!

As some of you might be aware that we have been working on a LED upgrade kit for the tail lights of 2015+ Mustangs, which also includes the upcoming 2018 models. Here is a short video on the 2018 Mustang tail lights, and yes we got our hands-on a tail light from a RHS drive version of the 2018 Mustang.

[ame]

Comparing 2018 and 2015 tail lights side by side (with plug and play sequencers):
[ame]

We are about to conclude HW endurance and robustness tests this week and is about to hit the road tests. Now for the most important part, how these triple Amber and triple Red LEDs would operate, I would like to hear some comments from this forum.

Currently we are setting up 2 modes, ditching the old Mode A and Mode B:

S(tock) Mode: Exactly the same as your factory car
P(rogressive) Mode:

1. Indicator - Sequential 1, 12 , 123, 0, 1, ... Amber blinkers
  2. Brake - 123 triple intense Red brakes
  3. Indicator while braking (or vice versa) - Sequential 1, 12 , 123, 0, 1, 12 ... Amber blinkers while brake LEDs would be switched off progressively 123, 23, 3, 0, 123, 23, ... would come back on during the 'off' period of the indicator.

The RED brake lights are pretty much only completely off on the side of indicating for about 0.13 second if both indicator and brake is on. Therefore the previous Indicator priority (A mode) and Brake priority (B mode) is not necessary any more. And still provide a crisp finish instead of having brake on constantly.

Here is a raw lab testing video to visualize. Please note the video camera's light adjustment makes this quite different from what real eye can see, but you get the rough idea:

[ame]

There are a few additional modes to consider:

1. Constant triple Amber indicator (no sequential)
2. Indicator now does 1, 2, 3 (a moving cursor) instead
3. Flashing Brake for TRACK

Would welcome any suggestions and ideas from this community. Thank you!

A couple of pictures of PCBs (WIP)

Sponsored

Last edited:

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Would these fit the 2015-2017?

If so then yeah Id be interested, depending on the cost. Id presume it will be similar cost to the DRL upgrade kits?

EDIT: On the mode itself, the progressive mode is what Ive always wanted, full red for brakes, red behind yellow for turning and breaking, and sequential amber for just turning

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
I’d be interested in the progressive mode Ray

OP
OP
ExoticPonyMods

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would these fit the 2015-2017?

If so then yeah Id be interested, depending on the cost. Id presume it will be similar cost to the DRL upgrade kits?

EDIT: On the mode itself, the progressive mode is what Ive always wanted, full red for brakes, red behind yellow for turning and breaking, and sequential amber for just turning
Yes, the one shown fits 15-17 Models. 18 Models require some tweaks and will be a different HW revision.

Thanks guys so far for the feedback.
Here is a short video of the UNBOXING:

[ame]

Sponsored

alexcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Magnetic
Looking good mate - do you know of any installers in Sydney? Interested in this and the DRL's

Davo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
GT Mustang convertible, X3, Focus
Also keen Ray, thanks!

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Ruby Red
Very interested! Especially in a US red converted set of lights with this mod already installed! Would love to buy a set and effectively plug and play. How much would that be?

Last edited:

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Having a red tint/lense would mean the orange wouldn't really come through anyhow.

If you dont care about the orange you can get plug and play rear light sequencers you could use with a red tint now.

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Ruby Red
Having a red tint/lense would mean the orange wouldn't really come through anyhow.

If you dont care about the orange you can get plug and play rear light sequencers you could use with a red tint now.
I have red tinted lights now, would just love the real deal. The orange indicator comes through fine. Just isn’t as bright as with clear lights.

Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Hi Ray, that's good news to start the new year with!

Just wondering will the settings be accessible on the light-switch in the car like the other modules?

Now finding a good non damaging way to open the lights would be awesome as well!

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
These look great, at the moment in Europe / UK you have to send to Poland for ÂŁ600($1040) and your car is off the road for 10days while they do it for you, here in the UK I was quoted ÂŁ1200!! ($2084) when will you get more in stock?

OP
OP
ExoticPonyMods

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Regarding migrating US lights to AUS/EU/UK mustangs:

Below are 2 earlier videos of using our sequencers on a pair of RED US taillights on AUSSIE mustangs. Although they do not actually do 1, 2 , 3 sequencing, I dont think you will be able to tell if I didnt tell you that.

[ame]
[ame]

Cons: Expensive! and not strictly road legal (no Amber, although no trouble with Police).

OP
OP
ExoticPonyMods

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi Ray, that's good news to start the new year with!

Just wondering will the settings be accessible on the light-switch in the car like the other modules?

Now finding a good non damaging way to open the lights would be awesome as well!
Yes, user will be able to easily switch modes. And we have created an easter egg for the mode switch success animation.

I will be posting a few more videos on these topics including installation videos on how to open these lights.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Yes, user will be able to easily switch modes. And we have created an easter egg for the mode switch success animation.

I will be posting a few more videos on these topics including installation videos on how to open these lights.
Thank you for the info Ray, I'm looking forward to finally doing this mod after 2 years and a bit of stock driving!

Ive been trying to do some research on the history of the sequencer for the mustang, I wanted to find out what the original sequence looked like. Unfortunately couldn't find that much info on the subject and it appears to me that it's been an aftermarket product/mod since way back as well.

I did find out that it was first introduced on the Thunderbird in 65 as a standard feature with a sequence of One...two...three...off...repeat...

Interesting read http://automotivemileposts.com/autobrevity/sequentialsignals.html

On video's of aftermarket LED's for the 67'-70 mustang I noticed they go kinda crazy with up to 10 sequence options. This makes me wonder how large of a memory chip do you need to store several sequence options?

Cheers!

Here's some cool input :D

[ame]
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.