Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Last time i looked Ford crate motors were way more expensive than there GM counterparts, which is why i got a crate LT4 for one of my projects. GT500 crate motor would be perfect for one of my other projects but not at $30K which is where i think it will land.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Since the Aluminator 5.2 XS is pushing $20K, I'm betting on the Predator listing for $30Kish too.....

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
This pricing @ bottom is Not GT500 crate eng. But a new 5.0L 460hp Long block.

Not directly relative..
....now indirectly...
This pdf. we had sent to us & we clipped off the below line items is part of a list for a
New Gen 3 service (replacement LB).

As stated. A 460hp G3 lng blk $$ levels.

The trinket pcs priced out that go w/ it, were below line items, but didn't see logic in boring anyone w/those $$ #'s.
Gaskets & stuff to finish it out.

Some parts the 'Price6' $$ is more money than the last column of 'Sale' cost. Usually the further right u go the cost goes up on most price sheets.

This document is from a <internal> Fomoco source & is VERY recent. ~60 days recent.

Extrapolate from it what you want,
as to Fords interal mark up vs.
what u can by that service Lng/Blk for, locally from ur preferred supplier.

Says a Gen3 - 5.0L mill w/direct injection installed is bout~$3800 @ what they call 'cost'.

Most all of 'our own' connections @FoMoCo hav either retired/or hav died now, & @ Ford/Ford Racing as well. We were once connected reasonably well.

Maybe this gives anyone who geeks out on $$ #'s or who's interested,
an idea of the mark up (internally to externally) on paper..
Well... on a pdf...not real paper.

Our interest stems from considering the install either a Gen3 5.0L (308") or the 5.2L huffer mill like above in this post,
in 1 of our <off road only> race cars.

Had we known this post was coming I guess we should hav gotten the pdf for the Huffer 5.2L. But it wasn't on our radar ~60 days ago as a smart play to 800hp cost wise. The 5.0L was...to us..

We'd use 1 of these mills in one of our turd boilers, for Friday nite ET laps & grudge racing.
Prof. racing has lost its luster for us after decades.

That 5.2L cost will be ridiculously high enuff,... as pointed out by everyone already..
especially compared to what anyone can build 800hp for w/12-20lbs of atmosphere added to a gen 2/3 - 5.0L ... cost wise.

Smarter money to sleeve a 5.0 & whipple it, to 800+.

Was what we were thinkin for 1 of our own trash barges on the track.

So, lookin @ this document,
( we clipped off lower line items for personal reasons, & not relevant to others).

Ford says here a 460hp Long block w/DI portion in block installed and some front pcs like water pump,
"cost"
$3797.37

No idea what the walk in off the street-
'good guy double rabbi'
price actually is,
@ local dealership on this p.n.#.
No sense in asking our preferred dealership yet... @ least till we are ready to purchase.

If we plan to sleeve a block, then a CO-PART or equiv. L/B or complete mill will suffice for our needs.

Can anyone in 'Ford parts dept' tell us what
'Price Level 6' relative to other levels??
exactly...,
@ there own dealership ... ??
Regards

SmartSelect_20201109-152401_Office.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
As said, cheaper to boost the very so reliable 5.0 gen 2 coyote . But the nutriders will gobble up the predator for 25-30k , then however much to install , goto the track, and get there butt handed to them my a boosted 5.0 . Full circle haha.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Since the Aluminator 5.2 XS is pushing $20K, I'm betting on the Predator listing for $30Kish too.....
The cobra jet engine/supercharger retails for $27K
it includes a lot of the same parts in the GT 500 -
except different supercharger / short block has same pistons but different rods (Manley for cobra jet ) .The heads are the same minus the titanium valves In the Cobra jet .

My guess is it retails for more than the 5.2 Alluminator (no supercharger) and less than the cobra jet engine (smaller superchager, cheaper rods and valve train )
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-SCJ50

478AE4A8-B807-4E8D-BDA3-F1B98E017196.png

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
If the difference turns out to be only a few thousand $$ then the cobra jet engine would be a much better deal .
Needless to say (and has already been said ) you can build any of these engines for half the price with the same parts already available .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can buy a cobra jet engine minus the supercharger for $19K... if you want a different form FI(would not be much use NA because of the low compression) . Adding a cobra jet whipple would be more expensive than buying the cobra jet engine /plus whipple for $27K.

its a better deal than the Alluminator (if you want low compression ratio) since you get the upgraded valve train .
https://www.racingjunk.com/Modular-...2019-Ford-Super-Cobra-Jet-5.2-Motor-New-.html

94492AB1-C7E1-4260-ABE9-2E1E109FECBD.png

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's marketing and not much more. People with more money than sense or anyone convinced they want a Ford crate engine (for some sort of authenticity concerns with a build) will buy this. It'll be a poor value (for what you get).

You'll pay nearly a 1/3 of what it costs just to buy the car attached to it. You'd probably better off just buying a brand new 500, yank the motor, then part out the rest of the car and sell as new OEM replacement parts.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Some classes in drag racing favor having a factory stock engine.
Now if Ford would at least offer installing this engine at the dealer level?

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
You'll pay nearly a 1/3 of what it costs just to buy the car attached to it. You'd probably better off just buying a brand new 500, yank the motor, then part out the rest of the car and sell as
Some classes in drag racing favor having a factory stock engine.
Now if Ford would at least offer installing this engine at the dealer level?
Even Stock Eliminator isnt "Stock".
If u ran a sealed stock eng in that class-
"in class", uget ur azz handed to u.
Thats why so many guys build odd combinations..So they dont hav to run anyone else in class 1st.

Having made my living over 3 decades in drag racing. Ive seen way more cheating in the 'stock' level classes than any others.

( example) go bk to old photos in "Stock Eliminator " class and look at how many vinyl top car there are/were. If U weren't in 'the know' u just figured guys liked these cars...
To shorten this up. U gotta weight# close to the cars spec'd factory production weight.
So after everyone illegally lightens there Stk Elim. cars they then need to put that weigh bk into the chassis in a more advantageous location that cannot be found by Tech inspectors.
So those vinyl top guys would beat down the roofs and literally lead ( the metal) them bk in like old school body shops filled dents. Now you hav 60+ lbs of lead both up high and more reward than would be otherwise. The vinyl top hides it above. The headliner hides it below.
Just 1 of 100 examples of how guy cheat in stock classes way more than in nearly every & all class structures above it, like Super Stock, which allows more mods that Stock class.

May not be best example but its one we can share w/o compromising our client base today.

So anyone who thinks Stock Classes of any racing organizations...drag racing or otherwise. Is just not rooted deeply enuff to ever be let into the circle of trust.

As professional car builders for over 60,000+hours. Some racers have no choice but to include you in there skull-duggery.
But if they can.

99.9% of the time they will not disclose there cheating hearts,
if they do not absolutely hav to,
in order to get the car built and the wrk done on it w/o having to include us chassis builders.
Since those Stock Elim. cars are so much simpler than are bread and & butter Pro Mod & Pro Stock car classes. Many racers try to build the bulk of the car themselves to keep these rule bending advantages in house.

The things we could write about how the 'Rule Bending' goes on inside the engines themsrlves is beyond staggering in both man hours and cost.

I hav a close friend/client who has a Stock Eliminator Camaro w/SBC. He has several engines. 1 has a Sonny Bryant Billet crankshaft thats so lite if u supported it at both ends and put a dial indicator in yhe center and pushed on it w/ur hand ucan get the indicator needle to move from the flex. Because its not supported on ea end only...
Rather..it has 5 main bearing supports & only runs 1/4 mile at a time. It live. & revs quite fast w/gun drilled journals that are then hidden.
That 1 instance I may hav overstepped my bounds. But If we do not give folks example of reality. They just wont believe the Stock classes are in NO WAY STOCK AT ALL.

The more restrictions on a class of any racing venue. The more money spent to subvert the rules. (Cheat)

Nuff said.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
You'll pay nearly a 1/3 of what it costs just to buy the car attached to it. You'd probably better off just buying a brand new 500, yank the motor, then part out the rest of the car and sell as

Even Stock Eliminator isnt "Stock".
If u ran a sealed stock eng in that class-
"in class", uget ur azz handed to u.
Thats why so many guys build odd combinations..So they dont hav to run anyone else in class 1st.

Having made my living over 3 decades in drag racing. Ive seen way more cheating in the 'stock' level classes than any others.

( example) go bk to old photos in "Stock Eliminator " class and look at how many vinyl top car there are/were. If U weren't in 'the know' u just figured guys liked these cars...
To shorten this up. U gotta weight# close to the cars spec'd factory production weight.
So after everyone illegally lightens there Stk Elim. cars they then need to put that weigh bk into the chassis in a more advantageous location that cannot be found by Tech inspectors.
So those vinyl top guys would beat down the roofs and literally lead ( the metal) them bk in like old school body shops filled dents. Now you hav 60+ lbs of lead both up high and more reward than would be otherwise. The vinyl top hides it above. The headliner hides it below.
Just 1 of 100 examples of how guy cheat in stock classes way more than in nearly every & all class structures above it, like Super Stock, which allows more mods that Stock class.

May not be best example but its one we can share w/o compromising our client base today.

So anyone who thinks Stock Classes of any racing organizations...drag racing or otherwise. Is just not rooted deeply enuff to ever be let into the circle of trust.

As professional car builders for over 60,000+hours. Some racers have no choice but to include you in there skull-duggery.
But if they can.

99.9% of the time they will not disclose there cheating hearts,
if they do not absolutely hav to,
in order to get the car built and the wrk done on it w/o having to include us chassis builders.
Since those Stock Elim. cars are so much simpler than are bread and & butter Pro Mod & Pro Stock car classes. Many racers try to build the bulk of the car themselves to keep these rule bending advantages in house.

The things we could write about how the 'Rule Bending' goes on inside the engines themsrlves is beyond staggering in both man hours and cost.

I hav a close friend/client who has a Stock Eliminator Camaro w/SBC. He has several engines. 1 has a Sonny Bryant Billet crankshaft thats so lite if u supported it at both ends and put a dial indicator in yhe center and pushed on it w/ur hand ucan get the indicator needle to move from the flex. Because its not supported on ea end only...
Rather..it has 5 main bearing supports & only runs 1/4 mile at a time. It live. & revs quite fast w/gun drilled journals that are then hidden.
That 1 instance I may hav overstepped my bounds. But If we do not give folks example of reality. They just wont believe the Stock classes are in NO WAY STOCK AT ALL.

The more restrictions on a class of any racing venue. The more money spent to subvert the rules. (Cheat)

Nuff said.
......and this has what to do with Ford offering something for the Drag Racers at heart?

BSB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 2014 F150
With a Biden presidency and soon democrat controlled senate this is going to be a waste...All the green stuff will stomp all this out.
Everything going electric....VERY FAST.
Fossil fuels done in a couple years.
Sponsored