Replaced center speaker...now my bass from the doors is better?

JaxChris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Is there a guide for this somewhere? I need this in my life. ***EDIT*** - I just found your post with the codes... and discovered the Forscan thread. Head is swimming now, but I ordered the OBD tool and plan to play with it this weekend. Thanks!

Also, the Polks are back on Amazon, but no way to tell how much stock.
Don't let the Forscan threads overwhelm you. The biggest part is registering on their forums and requesting an activation code. You should do that now while you're waiting for your ODBMX to arrive. Once you have it, the biggest advise is to back up all the modules you can and save them to disk before you make any changes. Name the files as module-stock and any future changes you should save off a copy and name as model-date so you can easily roll back changes if you make a mistake and get error lights or modules failing to start.

Amazon will show stock when less than 10 units are left in stock, btw. =)

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
I’ve had the DB 351’s for a couple of weeks and today was a cold rainy day, perfect for being in the garage. I ordered these over a month ago through Walmart for $37 and at first they were back ordered and subsequently cancelled as no longer available. Amazon still has them but at $50 a pair. I haven’t wired in the bass blocker yet as I like the sound through the center/dash as is now. There are plenty of online videos for the dash panel removal. You need to be careful with the clips, not so much breaking them but having them come off behind the dash. I lost 4 and then had to play the old “Operation” game using double sided tape on the end of a mini screw driver to recover 3 of them. I thought I would post pictures of where the tabs actually are for those about to pull the panel so you know where they are. Start with the small trim panel on the passenger side and work you way left towards the steering wheel. The pictures didn’t post in order but you can figure it out. Happy modding.
67F2FA6A-F4F2-4BFB-A787-D2B645613C75.jpeg
54BA39D5-1941-4372-AE75-CB75638712D4.jpeg
69A44098-B8B9-4799-8838-2FB7C7DBBB04.jpeg
F4501871-CE54-4C39-9ED2-480EEF21F8F5.jpeg
1E046682-4B50-48EA-AA5D-AC0687813069.jpeg
6DBD2D7A-6CA5-4672-BA06-26EFD3BC0FE3.jpeg
5823291F-2689-46D9-ACA4-AC93064EF7A1.jpeg
AB7C37BA-82A1-4427-991D-6ED05CF2901A.jpeg
D98E8EB7-6015-4469-8593-71B5D29DFB90.jpeg
A7E1D45A-91B6-4B64-B57D-60F1841F2609.jpeg

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Replaced mine today with the Infinity Ref 3022cfx, which is a 3 ohm speaker. The stock unit is 2 ohm 25W, i cut the wires from stock speaker at terminals and soldered them onto the replacement so this made it a direct plug in to the factory harness. Wrapped it in a heat sink and put the foam liner provided underneath the housing of new speaker. I didn't use the bass blocker that came with it. Noticed a improvement in the sound, this along with adding poly-fil to the sub enclosure has made a lot of difference to the 12 speaker system in my 2018 GT. I'm very happy with the bass now. Btw mine is a non-PP car so i have the 3 AC vents and didn't have any issues with the clearance.

These settings are currently working great for me
Treble: 0 to -2
Midrange: -1
Bass: 0 to 2 depending on the music
Occupancy mode: Driver
Balance: middle (default)
Speed compensated volume: off

Also, as stated by many people, the quality of input source makes a huge difference in the sound quality.

Btw this speaker was purchased as a pair so i have the other one, if anyone is interested $24 plus shipping

20190104_215735.jpg

Last edited:

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Krishelnino - sent you a pm

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
KRISHNA

I wish you lived closer to me. I really liked what you did with this speaker set-up.

CVCashmere

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
KRISHNA

I wish you lived closer to me. I really liked what you did with this speaker set-up.

CVCashmere
Thanks. I might eventually end up getting aftermarket speakers with an amp, planning on it. But, lot of great advice here on the forum to improve the stock system.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
You guys installing the DB351 polk as center, I bought one off a member. How are you modifying the grille? im installing it in a few days. Do you have to cut a circle out for the tweeter center? or grind it down somehow? just wanting to know before I dig in.

will I have quality sound crimping vs soldering? I dont have or know how to solder. lol so crimping is preferred.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
c
You guys installing the DB351 polk as center, I bought one off a member. How are you modifying the grille? im installing it in a few days. Do you have to cut a circle out for the tweeter center? or grind it down somehow? just wanting to know before I dig in.

will I have quality sound crimping vs soldering? I dont have or know how to solder. lol so crimping is preferred.
Make sure you do a proper crimp and give the connector a good tug to ensure that it's in there good. Quality sets of ratchet crimpers ensure this as they ratchet closed and wont open until the full proper crimp compression is reached.

These can be pricey, a good set of klein or other name brand will work just as well providing you don't have gramma grip lol. Go to a stereo / electronics store and get some of the good fully insulated female spade connectors. Crimp the females onto your stock harness wire ends that you clipped off the speaker.

Make sure you crimp the right size connector onto the +ve and -ve wires since the positive / negative terminals on the speaker are different sizes. If the speaker isn't marked you can use a 1.5 - 9v battery for this. Hook the + of the 9v to the + of the speaker and the - of the 9v to the negative of the speaker. If the polarities are correct the speaker will extend outwards. Larger terminal on the speaker is normally +ve but the battery test confirms this.

Last edited:

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Install the speaker from the bottom, no need to modify the grille then.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Install the speaker from the bottom, no need to modify the grille then.
Sounds good! everyone was commenting saying it was needed to be modified, why dont people install it below the deck then from getgo?

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Good question.

Sounds good! everyone was commenting saying it was needed to be modified, why dont people install it below the deck then from getgo?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Some with the non PP have said that they could not get it to mount under the panel due to the center A/C vent.
If you have the center gauges, it mounts quite easily.
I'm just sayin........

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
That makes sense, thanks for the info.

Some with the non PP have said that they could not get it to mount under the panel due to the center A/C vent.
If you have the center gauges, it mounts quite easily.
I'm just sayin........

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a non PP and mounted my speaker today on top of the panel- just like the pic above. I used a dremel to widen out the speaker hole to make it sit flusher on the panel however the grill doesnt fit right. The tweeter is hitting the grill. Does anyone have any pics on what grill modification you did to make it fit? Was anyone successful doing the underdash mount on non PP cars?