Sponsored

Replaced a bad sway bar end link this weekend

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Y'all might remember me from various threads complaining about sounds and NVH after installing a ton of aftermarket parts.

Eventually things settled down but there was always a very slight noise once and a while that didn't seem appropriate.

Getting my alignment done the other day, the tech pointed out that one of my front end links was starting to go bad. I was worried this was a sales pitch because Powergrid (alignment shop) sells their own 'custom end links'.

Lo an behold, it was subtle, but you could feel very slight play in the driver-side end link.

I thought about making my own from a place like Midwest Control but never got around to measuring all of the components to custom order what I needed. I probably could have built a full set for less than $100.

So... I did some hunting and saw that the Steeda end links looked to be just what I needed. A lot beefier, adjustable, but specifically designed for track and street use (won't sacrifice NVH). I really like the end pieces and the blue anodized shaft is a nice touch. My undercarriage is slowly turning blue.

giphy.gif

Installed last night by removing both end links to try and properly set the preload on the sway bar. It's hard to achieve this on a PP since the bushings are apparently glued to the bar? Had to use a pry bar to get the sway bar down to even stock length. Rotating the center assembly on the end link was effortless though, so I think things were in a good spot.

The (45 mile) drive to work today was great. Might be a placebo effect but the ride was incredibly smooth. There were the obvious bumps in the road but a lot of the sensations I was getting in the wheel are gone.

I kept checking my end links and never found them loose ... but didn't stop to think that the internal joint could be failing!

FYI I have 30k miles and drive this daily in the Detroit area. I have heard from a few folks now that these end links just don't last very long.
IMG_5476.JPG
IMG_5503.JPG
IMG_5507.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Didn't someone find some heavy duty replacement end links on Rock Auto or some shit? I swear I saw that. Not as pretty as the Steeda, but DAMN they get $$$ for their stuff.

That said, I have a ton of Steeda shit on my car lol.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Be very careful with the 14mm wrench when you install those end links so you don't harm the boot. Additionally, they should be installed and oriented so they have full play in the ball joint as a best practice. You can now corner balance your sway bars with equal weight to yours in the driver seat but you will need to get under the car when it's full weight to do so (thus you will want to set it down on an alignment rack or stacks of hardwood, etc.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Didn't someone find some heavy duty replacement end links on Rock Auto or some shit? I swear I saw that. Not as pretty as the Steeda, but DAMN they get $$$ for their stuff.

That said, I have a ton of Steeda shit on my car lol.
Yes, made in China. Probably fine. Only rear was available. Rear is the least of anyone's worries on these cars. Fronts are the ones that go bad (bend).

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Be very careful with the 14mm wrench when you install those end links so you don't harm the boot. Additionally, they should be installed and oriented so they have full play in the ball joint as a best practice. You can now corner balance your sway bars with equal weight to yours in the driver seat but you will need to get under the car when it's full weight to do so (thus you will want to set it down on an alignment rack or stacks of hardwood, etc.
Yeah good point. My 14mm wrench was a tad wide and squirted some of the goo out of the boot. I was sure not to pinch or tear it at all though. Gonna need a zerk lube tool now. Reminds me of wrenching on my old TJ which had zerk fittings all over the suspension.

Now that I think about it I think I have a pile of old park tool bike wrenches that I could have used here. A thin wrench like this would be ideal for this type of job:

dc0d28a3-cd78-4726-a945-a5f4b95c49dd?size=784x588.jpg

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes, that is what should be used. Steeda should require that in the instructions.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Was this the noise you were getting over bumps or is it at different times? I am getting something occasionally now when hitting the brakes (only hear it when coming to a stop going forward, nothing in reverse) but whenever I want to take it in, no sound (of course).

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Was this the noise you were getting over bumps or is it at different times? I am getting something occasionally now when hitting the brakes (only hear it when coming to a stop going forward, nothing in reverse) but whenever I want to take it in, no sound (of course).
Have you checked your caliper bolts?

I was getting it usually over bumps, typically drops in elevation (ie if i'm driving on a flat plane that suddenly drops to another flat plane, but 1" or so lower)

Once in a while over small pothole type things.

Rarely/never at speeds above 25mph.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Not too recently (past couple weeks), but it was there before I upgraded to the GT calipers and still occurs every once in awhile now.
Sponsored