The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Hi all,

among other differences, Ford also gave us a different front lower grille both on Ecoboost and GT. They use this grille on US models with block heater - probably planned at first for EU too - but there is no reason to have this ugly grille instead of the one that matches the upper grille.

This is not a difficult mod (probably there are already some threads in international section) but EU model has some slight differences that maybe needs to be pointed out.

The cheapest I could find was from Quirkparts on Ebay for about 80 USD with free shipping in US
http://www.ebay.it/itm/201546432020?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Surprisingly I haven't a good picture of the stock EU Ecoboost lower grille :eek: however here it's barely visible:

This is the US version for the Ecoboost, with the same pattern as the upper grille

Let's start!
First, remove the bumper (guide)

To remove the lower grille, you first need to remove the middle protection. This is really easy to unclip with a flat head screwdriver. Just beware that there are the two connectors from the pedestrian impact protection system hooked at it, so remove them before removing the protection.

Now you can see that, unlike US model, we have those three sensors and a cable going from side to side, hooked to the lower grille.

You need to unclip the cable from the grille and then unclip the grille from the bumper. This is not as easy as the previous part because plastic is much more rigid and you have to sweat a bit to get it out.

Now the hard part is completed! Some comparison pics:

You can see here the holes where the cable was hooked

Ok now place the new shiny grille in place and push it hard on the clips. You need to place a hand on the outside of the bumper and hit with the other hand on the grille to get it clipped correctly.

Make sure that every clip is in place

Now since you don't have the supporting holes anymore, you have to fix that cable in a secure way. I used the mighty duct tape to fix it to the bumper ("Duct tape: is there anything it can't do?" Adam Savage, Mythbusters)

Reinstall the middle protection, re-hook connectors, reinstall bumper and you're done!

Another slight improvement over the EU appearance :thumbsup:
:cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Looks miles better,
I have the lower GT grill to go on, but awaiting my front lights

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Excellent writeup. I have one ready to go on as well but I'm waiting with the install until my illuminated pony arrives. And I'll probably end up slamming in a Wagner EVO2 in as well.

Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Another great post! I have the V8 panels ready to go in, just waiting for bumper to come off to do lights :)

bigul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015 EU
It is possible to get it via ford dealers or some EU sellers or i have to order it from the US web-shop?

Last edited:
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion Eu ford dealers has nothing to do with Mustangs.. :shrug: :tsk:

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
do you know what those wires/sensors are?

I noticed in my passenger side part of the lower bumper there was something that felt like a connector just barely sticking out (about in the middle height wise)... didn't see anything like that in your photos, but maybe it's on the car? (it was dark so I couldn't see what it was, and my bumper is firmly connected to my car :D)

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
do you know what those wires/sensors are?

I noticed in my passenger side part of the lower bumper there was something that felt like a connector just barely sticking out (about in the middle height wise)... didn't see anything like that in your photos, but maybe it's on the car? (it was dark so I couldn't see what it was, and my bumper is firmly connected to my car :D)
are you referring to this (center of pidture)?

It's the pedestrian safety system connector. From here depart the cables you see in my pictures, connecting all the three sensors installed in the front bumper.

Sponsored

Robby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 DIB 2.3T
"among other differences, Ford also gave us a different front lower grille both on Ecoboost and GT. They use this grille on US models with block heater - probably planned at first for EU too - but there is no reason to have this ugly grille instead of the one that matches the upper grille."

Been doing some research...

Actually, this ugly grill is designed to be used for cars with Adaptive Cruise Control. The radar sensor mounts on it. If I had ACC, I wouldn't mess with it.

By the way, where did you get the new grill?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Been doing some research...

Actually, this ugly grill is designed to be used for cars with Adaptive Cruise Control. The radar sensor mounts on it. If I had ACC, I wouldn't mess with it.

By the way, where did you get the new grill?
Indeed. When we were waiting for our cars, we saw this lower grille and instantly thought about ACC! But then, no ACC or block heater..

I got the grill from ebay, here http://www.ebay.it/itm/201546432020?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
So if I understand it correctly, the EU grill has no benefit in terms of better or centralized airflow to the inter-cooler etc?
Also maybe there is a way to create/recreate the 5 holes for the cable... 3D print them and attach them with lock tight glue ! Excuse my OCD :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Yes, if you look at the comparison pics the aperture is nearly the same, probably about 2 cm wider each side:

There is really no need for the 5 holes. There is no advantage for having the cable hangin' on the grill or taped inside the bumper.. it's not stretched or something, and it's only about 1 cm far of where is was :)

Robby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 DIB 2.3T
Now you guys got me thinking...

First, I'm convinced the EU lower grill has got to go.

2nd, Replace with US EB lower grill as above? (looks really great) or

3rd, Replace both upper and lower grills with US GT grills?

GT grills on an Ecoboost? I know a lot have done it. I like the way it looks but, don't really know how I "feel" about it. Know what I mean? Any opinions?
Sponsored