Sponsored

Repainting hood or other body panel yourself?

Kevdon92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did Ford deny a warrenty repair or a TSB request? I'm curious, as I'm about to go in with the TSB and try to get my hood replaced.
Not likely to go through seeing as the 5 year warranty is expired on 2015’s now
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
TSB's are not warranty based, or limited to time factors. Thats why I'm asking how he applied. Warranty would most certainly be denied, but TSB's have been hit or miss, based on the application process.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
TSB's are not warranty based, or limited to time factors. Thats why I'm asking how he applied. Warranty would most certainly be denied, but TSB's have been hit or miss, based on the application process.
No the TSB for the hood paint corrosion specifically doesn't cover MY2015, only MY2016+
Ford will deny any warranty coverage on the hood for 2015.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
2015 S550’s have to show perforation to the metal in order to be a complete hood replacement.

2016+, metal perforation is not a prerequisite, they HAVE to replace the sheetmetal panel per the Warranty.

All S550’s have a 5/60 Paint Warranty, with the above noted differences.

Last edited:

Kevdon92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
2015 S550’s have to show perforation to the metal in order to be a complete hood replacement.

2016+, metal peroration is not a prerequisite, they HAVE to replace the sheetmetal panel per the Warranty.

All S550’s have a 5/60 Paint Warranty, with the above noted differences.
My 2015 has perforation, but I don’t even think it’s worth the time since it’s 6 years at this point

Sponsored

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I would not DIY paint any panel on your car. Look around for some body shops and maybe check out some of their work. Go to Cars and Coffee and ask those guys who they recommend.

I'm about a day or two away from picking up my 19' from the body shop. I got the passenger door repaired (had two dents in the body line), Replaced both fenders with GT350 fenders and painted, replaced bumper with GT500 bumper and painted, and lastly had a dent in the hood fixed and repainted. The total cost of all that work ends up at only $2,800 with $1,300 of it being just the door from insurance. I just looked at the blend job from the painting and I can't even tell it was repainted other than the fact the new work has zero orange peel and the factory paint has some minor orange peel.

Just the supplies to do this your self is going to cost you $500 and there are tools you don't have nor the experience to even use them. It's always money ahead to have a body guy to body work and DIY the mechanical stuff.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Approximately $600 I think. The shop redid it for $1000. But I also rented a booth and did other things you can skip. I also needed two different primers, one for the bumper (plastic) and a high build primer for the hood. I bought enough paint for two coats of base and five coats of clear (plan for orange peel so you have enough clear to level and polish). I did not get past one coat of clear before it became apparent I was too unhappy with the tiger striping to live with it. The supplies I bought were:
Primer
Body filler - presumably you won't need this
Base coat, clear coat, and one can of guide coat paint
Sand paper (400 - 2000 grit wet sand)
Tack cloths for dust - you can skip, it's just an extra caution
Isopropyl wipe downs
Respirator (do NOT skimp on the respirator and filters for it)

That's just supplies, add the tools to that 600 bucks, easily x 2, low ball call 1200.00, plan 2k.
Sponsored