Rented a new mustang and did it right.

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
I've been going through a whirlwind of emotions leading up to the new mustang and it's turned into quite an experience that seems to be out of my control, it is meant to be.

I've always loved mustangs, the wife and I enjoyed our 04 GT for the one year we had it. I had to flip it for a quick profit when something came up and we had always promised ourselves we would get another some day.

On numerous occasions over the last few years I've considered parting with the s2000 for a 2011+ gt but I couldn't do it, too much attachment to the ultimate drivers car even if it was slow as balls below 5k rpm and useless for anything aside from hauling ass through canyons or on the track. I swore I'd wait till I could afford to keep the s2000 as well as our other car & truck and buy a coyote stang.

And then came the s550.

Aside from the coyote 5.0 we finally get irs. That was great and almost enough for me to blindly declare "ford, take my money!" Then I saw the thing, wow, just wow. Inside and out, what a fine car. Aside from everything being right on the new mustang, it's an opportunity ive been waiting for in another way. My grandfather, a ww2 vet and ford employee for 43yrs, I've always wanted to make him proud with the build of a classic ford or the purchase of an awesome new one. As much as reality sucks, its obvious Id never get around to that dream 65 fastback build in time to show him. This new mustang though, coincidence it happened to be a dedicated fastback design? I think not. It was created for no reason other than fulfilling goals in making my grandfather proud. The other hundreds of thousands of folks who will enjoy the car is just a bonus. Again, this was meant to happen.

I made the call, grandpa got me a z plan pin, and I commited to selling the s2000. He was so proud that I was in a position to buy a 2015 gt. Just last weekend I started swapping out all the parts back to Oem on the s2000 and prepping it for sale. At this point I'm set on cashing out the s2000 and acquiring a black pp gt with recaros asap. Then I got the call you never want to get, grandma had passed, funeral in Dearborn on Tuesday (tomorrow). S2000 left on jack stands, plane tickets ordered, economy rental car ordered.

I flew into detroit today at 3:30 and took the shuttle to the rental car place. Wouldn't you know it, new black mustang right out front ready to go. As he started to get going with the transaction and mentioned "I got you for an economy...." I said "yeah about that... Any chance you have a new mustang available?" Of course they do, and of course its the black one right out front. The story gets better, the guy renting me the car just bought himself a 2015 ecoboost. I was telling him how I'm set on a new stang and would like to use the opportunity for an extended test drive to get a feel for it. Yeah, he hooked me up with a discount.

My first immediate impression: for a car with such a beefy strong presence on the street, it sure feels small/nimble/fun the minute you drive it. I immediately drove over to visit grandpa at the Henry ford retirement community. It was a bitter sweet visit, great to be back in Michigan with family but sad to not have grandma.

After my visit this evening we drove around Dearborn a bit to get dinner and pick up a few items. It seemed like Id never get a reasonable opportunity to see what this mighty v6 had going for it and feel the car move. Traffic was lolly gaggin on the highway and cops everywhere on the surface streets. Then it finally happened, I make my way onto Ford road and have an off ramp with a long stretch of empty road ahead.

I snapped the pedal to the floor and she went, she got up and went faster than I had expected. Felt great in the turns and again very nimble. The suspension is a bit too floaty for my taste but the performance package should alleviate that.

I have to hand it to you v6 guys, this newer 300+hp 6 is plenty enough power to have a good time. In fact I'd save 10k and go for a v6 if I hadn't already had my fair share of cars with "enough" power. I'm ready for more than enough.

So here's the final "it was meant to be" kicker. The spot where I finally got to pin it for a minute and have fun? Right in front of the crown jewel building of ford headquarters on ford road.

Im now laying here in my hotel room ready to turn in for the night. Tomorrow is grandmas funeral, she lived a very full life and taught me priceless lessons that can only be had by such a golden generation. I think she also had a sense of humor and interrupted my garage frenzy to get me out here to drive a mustang around Dearborn for a few days. The black stang will look good behind the black Lincoln limos.

Here's a picture of where the antics took place. I'll be sure to get a pic of me in the car but I won't incriminate myself by posting it here till I leave town in a couple days.
image.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Wow.
Thanks for sharing... Great story.
Enjoy your new mustang... Sounds like the fates wouldn't have it any other way!

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thank you so much for sharing and I am sorry for your loss.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Sounds like the way my Grandmother (God rest her soul) used to be...always smiling and looking out for us Grandkids while making us laugh! Great story!

Sponsored

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
What a moving story. I'm sorry for your loss. I'd like to think your grandfather was smiling down on you as you drove around in the Mustang.

P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP
Very sorry for your loss. Sometimes fate has a way of pulling it all together.

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
Great read. It is certainly meant to be.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Great review, sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
stop by Village if you would like and you can drive a PP GT ask for Joe

Sponsored

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Great Story!

I too have a loyalty to Ford, although not as directly related to the company as your family. My first word was "car" and I was a fan of Ford when my Dad drove big Lincolns, Mercury's and T-Birds from the sixties and seventies.

My older brothers had a thing for imports in the seventies, Opel's, Capri, Fiat's, BMW's and although I really loved the american V8, I also liked the nimbleness and tidiness of euro cars. We had an '80 Fiesta in our family that got passed down to first my nearest brother (6 boys in our family), me and then my step sister. Great reliable fun car, and this cemented my fondness for FoMoCo.

To me Ford was the most continental of the American brands, and this was really expressed in the Fox; a roomy, light body with V8 brawn and character. I bought a new Mustang GT in '88, and have had 5 foxes including a home-built 1980 2-door Fairmont that I club tracked and autoX. I currently have an '82 GT that I drive in FL.

I have had more BMW's than Fords since the nineties, however I think the new s550 with its refinement now approaches the level of daily driving satisfaction that I get from BMW.

And although I build my own SBF V8 engines, the PP equipped Mustang EB is where I am leaning. Looking forward to later this year when I order one, and hope to rent one in the near future too!

Last edited:

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Condolences. Its always nice to get a good test drive before purchasing. I rented a 2013 Mustang V6 and that made up my decision that my next car was going to be a Mustang. I put a non-refundable deposit towards an Ecoboost without a test drive. Thats how much faith I had in Ford. On Dec 18 2014, I picked up my 2015 Ecoboost Mustang. Currently stored in the garage and eagerly waiting for Spring to drive it.

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
this has been the best thing i read on this website this whole year!!get that mustang and enjoy the heck out of it!! and post pics im sure you like many of us will love it the first time you lay your eyes on it and the first time you press that START button on the coyote V8

and sorry for your lost

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I wish you stopped off in front of Ford HQ and did some donuts. :):D;)

Sorry for your loss.

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
First and most important, very sorry fopr your loss,,,. :(

And secondly, thanks so much for sharing such a great story!

Best of luck with your new Mustang! :thumbsup:
Sponsored